Gunfire, Explosions After MIT Cop Shot Dead

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's also a parental blind spot too. I've known parents that absolutely cannot see even small occurrences of poor behaviour in their child. They can't see it, are absolutely blind to it. Despite overwhelming evidence. I can't envision what it would take to convince me that my child had done something like this.
I can't even go there, his kid is dead another essentially dead, after having taken lives.

I would imagine it would be really isolating, even if people say they understand, they really don't. I would think it would test all the patience, strength and love inside of you just coping with it.
Hopefully people will reach out to him. He did not do this. His poor aunt in Toronto too. Hopefully people will surround them because if not, we show ourselves to be less than who we pretend to be and more like those who lack humanity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't even go there, his kid is dead another essentially dead, after having taken lives.

If he survives his injuries, I still haven't heard an update on any of that, it is a death penalty case.

Hopefully people will reach out to him. He did not do this. His poor aunt in Toronto too. Hopefully people will surround them because if not, we show ourselves to be less than who we pretend to be and more like those who lack humanity.

I think everyone needs time for the emotional roller coaster to come to a stop.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From Zip:

Michael Moore Perplexed: What Was The Boston Bombers Reason For Attacking America?…

Hey, Fat Boy, it’s starts with an “I” and ends with a “slam.”

Michael Moore Perplexed: What Was The Boston Bombers Reason For Attacking America?… | Weasel Zippers

Poor ol' Justin...err, Mikey. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If he survives his injuries, I still haven't heard an update on any of that, it is a death penalty case.

I was wondering about that as well.

Massachusetts does not have the death penalty. Although they say that this is a federal crime and he can be charged with capital murder and the death sentence can be given to him through the federal courts.

I wonder two things...

If he is tried and convicted and given the death sentence would they execute him in Massachusetts?

Could a jury in Massachusetts give him the death sentence? We are a very liberal state.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope they are taking really, really, really good care of him. I hope he has the best that their health care system can provide. I think the victims deserve that. I think we all deserve that.

I hope they let his father/mother/sister...whomever might stir some emotion in him...visit.

I want the reality to sink into him. Deeply into him. I want the fear to be real.

He should know deep and abiding sorrow and regret.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was wondering about that as well.

Massachusetts does not have the death penalty. Although they say that this is a federal crime and he can be charged with capital murder and the death sentence can be given to him through the federal courts.

I wonder two things...

If he is tried and convicted and given the death sentence would they execute him in Massachusetts?

Could a jury in Massachusetts give him the death sentence? We are a very liberal state.

I was just discussing that with a friend at dinner last night. The jury part I'm not sure of but I would think that would be part of the qualifying questions they ask each potential juror prior when selecting them. I was also wondering how a federal crime and a potential federal death sentence would be carried out, if indeed that is what they do, given that criminal proceedings and prisons are all at the state level. I'll confess, I don't really understand how the whole process works.

Personally I don't support capital punishment, even in a case like this. I think what could potentially be learned from someone like this could be invaluable and that could take a lifetime of study.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was just discussing that with a friend at dinner last night. The jury part I'm not sure of but I would think that would be part of the qualifying questions they ask each potential juror prior when selecting them. I was also wondering how a federal crime and a potential federal death sentence would be carried out, if indeed that is what they do, given that criminal proceedings and prisons are all at the state level. I'll confess, I don't really understand how the whole process works.

Personally I don't support capital punishment, even in a case like this. I think what could potentially be learned from someone like this could be invaluable and that could take a lifetime of study.
I think the death penalty is in someways more humane. Why should he get to avoid aging and illness? Anyone I've spoken to who has lived in a society that was not free has told me freedom trumps death. They would risk their lives to be free regardless of how good their life was without the freedom. Therefore it makes sense to give criminals an okay "existence" with no freedom. But just enough comfort for them to understand what they are truly missing. Just enough so that they truly suffer for what they have done.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
We would only learn what we already know........that brainwashing, religious or otherwise, works on some people. And it works better with a group than with single individual.....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We would only learn what we already know........that brainwashing, religious or otherwise, works on some people. And it works better with a group than with single individual.....
If true then there must be a way to prevent it no?

Although when one believes that their God is wrathful, vengeful and endorses death to anyone who does not believe in them, there is no way around that.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If true then there must be a way to prevent it no?

Although when one believes that their God is wrathful, vengeful and endorses death to anyone who does not believe in them, there is no way around that.
It's just like hypnotism, some are better subjects than others...
If you ever watched religion TV, or gone to a revival meeting, (I have just out of curiosity, just to see what makes people tick) and you spot one or more individuals with that blank or glazed look in their eye......It means that they are a good subject for hypnotism or brain washing...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's just like hypnotism, some are better subjects than others...
If you ever watched religion TV, or gone to a revival meeting, (I have just out of curiosity, just to see what makes people tick) and you spot one or more individuals with that blank or glazed look in their eye......It means that they are a good subject for hypnotism or brain washing...
hm, I participated in a study on hypnotism back when I was in school. I think they paid us $25.00 for the night and then others got invited for longer participation. That was a lot of money to a poor student.

I do remember when he brought us back up, that we were to react in a certain way. Some did completely, others only partially and still others not at all. Can't remember the brain component that made the difference though.

I still think there is something about ability to distance ourselves from others emotionally regardless of susceptibility to suggestion. I don't think you can override "connection", love, empathy. I think that is how this kid got hooked in...he loved his brother.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think the death penalty is in someways more humane. Why should he get to avoid aging and illness? Anyone I've spoken to who has lived in a society that was not free has told me freedom trumps death. They would risk their lives to be free regardless of how good their life was without the freedom. Therefore it makes sense to give criminals an okay "existence" with no freedom. But just enough comfort for them to understand what they are truly missing. Just enough so that they truly suffer for what they have done.

It very well could be more humane but, since the government generally screws up everything it touches, I personally would prefer not giving them the right to kill me. That's one thing I find odd about the whole death penalty debate; those on the extreme right are the ones that have the least trust of government yet are the ones most likely to want to give it the ability to kill its citizens. I find that strange.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So much so, he ran him over.
correct...he either panicked and accidentally reversed, or loved him enough to not let them take him alive...I hope my guy would have the guts to put a pillow over my face or run over me when needed

Mom and Dad think he's innocent.
yes, they need to get them to his bedside right freaking now...bring out the human element