Gun-toting woman divides community

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, but it is MY right to feel that there are certain places a gun should not be carried.

We can go round and round with topics like this, but we will never convince the other that our opinions are the correct ones. I am enjoying the debate though.:smile:

True enough, nobody ever seems to be convinced.......:)

Sure, you have the right to feel that way....but the point is, in the USA, she has every right to ignore your feelings.......

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
True enough, nobody ever seems to be convinced.......:)

Sure, you have the right to feel that way....but the point is, in the USA, she has every right to ignore your feelings.......

That also holds true for anywhere in the world, doesn't it Colpy?;-):lol:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Pa is a "shall issue" state. That means that with minimum requirements met (a course on gun handling and self-defence law and a background check) the government must issue the person a licence to carry a handgun concealed. There are 37 states with such laws. In two states, no licence is required.

Right to Carry maps

She is far from a wingnut.....she is simply doing what millions of Americans do on adaily basis. The wing nuts are the ones crying because she exercises her rights.

My mistake. the "wingnut" was the person who issued the permit. I don't see where she has to undergo a "physological" evaluation. That should be a requirement for all prior to granting a liscense.

I guess being a nutbar and owning a handgun is a good mix.... in Pa

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My mistake. the "wingnut" was the person who issued the permit. I don't see where she has to undergo a "physological" evaluation. That should be a requirement for all prior to granting a liscense.

I guess being a nutbar and owning a handgun is a good mix.... in Pa

She passed the background checks......the issuer had no choice, it is a "shall issue" state.

That is why she can sue with every expectation of success. The issuer is over-reaching his authority by withdrawing her permit without cause.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
She passed the background checks......the issuer had no choice, it is a "shall issue" state.

That is why she can sue with every expectation of success. The issuer is over-reaching his authority by withdrawing her permit without cause.

does that include a psychological assessment....?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
does that include a psychological assessment....?

IMHO, you might as well go to some guy with a bone through his nose that guts chickens and looks into their entrails to see the truth, as go to a psychologist or psychiatrist.

The guy with the bone through his nose might be a con man, but every one in the psyche industry I have ever met is nuttier than a fruitcake.......

She has no history of criminality or insanity.....all that is necessary.

Obviously, considering the success of the "right to Carry" movement in the USA since 1989.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Pussy state. Gotta have a permit. Pshaw!!

In Vermont, you just walk in and plunk down your cash. No permit. No waiting. Nothing. Concealed carry allowed. Just can't take it to a school, fed building, or a few other places.

Maple syrup and han'guns........YEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!

8O

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Pussy state. Gotta have a permit. Pshaw!!

In Vermont, you just walk in and plunk down your cash. No permit. No waiting. Nothing. Concealed carry allowed. Just can't take it to a school, fed building, or a few other places.

Maple syrup and han'guns........YEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!

8O

That's right, walk right in, buy your 9mm Beretta, 3 or 4 - 15 round magazines, a couple of boxes of 115 grain +P Hollow Points, load her up right in the store, drop in in your pocket and cruise down the street. Perfectly legal.

The average murder rate in Vermont over the past 5 years? 2.0 per 100,000.

The average murder rate in Canada over the past 5 years? 1.9 per 100,000.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
This irritates the hell out of me.....does that mean I have some inherent right to kick your teeth down your throat just to shut you up?

No......because you have a right of free speech.

That's right, my actual right to free speech would obviously supersede your perceived right to bear arms...

Likewise, she has a right to defend herself, and to bear arms to do so.......

Likewise I would have the right to protect myself from a perceived threat...

therefore your fantasy threat to kick her in the face is way outta line.

Well we are speaking of the hypothetical here...

Besides, you go around attacking armed people and you are going to get a 6 inch hole blown through your 5 inch neck, and deservedly so......

:lol::lol:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
By "tools", I assume you mean for hunting, which I can agree with...but I doubt there'll ever be a time in our future where firearms are considered tools only...

But this woman packing her Glock is not using this as a tool...she's using it for intimidation and as a deterrent...

She is using it as a threat to those who she supposes would harm her, she's screaming loud and clear "**** with me and you get the Glock"

I don't like to be screamed at, or threatened, even if just metaphorically, so I would kick her in the yap and take her Glock...

Maybe start a collection of my own...

Vanni; this is your interpretation of a threat? You would kick her in the yap and disarm her just because you metaphorically FELT threatened? If that happened and she, her husband, father, mother, daughter, son could give you a third eye, and would be justified in providing it, even in this country. The Canadian Criminal Code justifies it, read s.s.(2):

Defence of Person
Self-defence against unprovoked assault
34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

Extent of justification
(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if
(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 34; 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F).

Be careful dude.

Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Take away the reasons for people to feel they need firearms as weapons rather than tools, and they probably won't feel the need to use them as weapons.

That would be wonderful, but it will never happen. In the 1700's Japan banned firearms and the samurai ruled with brutal impunity. They were granted kiri-sute gomen, the right to kill and depart. They have lived with this "police state" culture for centuries. The strong have authority over the weak. Firearms even those odds, giving authority to the skilled over the unskilled regardless of physical ability.

The price of liberty is vigilance, the cost of not being vigilant is bondage.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Vanni; this is your interpretation of a threat? You would kick her in the yap and disarm her just because you metaphorically FELT threatened? If that happened and she, her husband, father, mother, daughter, son could give you a third eye, and would be justified in providing it, even in this country. The Canadian Criminal Code justifies it, read s.s.(2):

Defence of Person
Self-defence against unprovoked assault
34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

Extent of justification
(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if
(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 34; 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F).

Be careful dude.

Vanni to the Judge: Well your honor, I walked up to the lady to ask her the address of the nearest abortion clinic, and she made a move for her firearm, nuthin' else I could do...:p

Anyhoo...what would happen I wonder if I walked around Pittsburgh with a two foot length of 1 inch lead pipe with the end heavily duct taped, hanging off my belt...all in the name of protection...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Vanni to the Judge: Well your honor, I walked up to the lady to ask her the address of the nearest abortion clinic, and she made a move for her firearm, nuthin' else I could do...:p

Anyhoo...what would happen I wonder if I walked around Pittsburgh with a two foot length of 1 inch lead pipe with the end heavily duct taped, hanging off my belt...all in the name of protection...

I remember years ago reading an article about California......where carrying Mace was a felony, while carrying an unlicenced handgun was a misdemeanor.....at the time.:smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Why? You think soccer games are exempt from attacks by loonies?

If you have to carry a firearm or other weapons with you because you fear some loonie will attack you or someone else during your child's soccor game, when it has never happened before in your life, in fact you have never been attacked in your life anywhere and the only misfortunate thing that occured was a serious vehicle "Accident" ~ Then there's something wrong with your head and it revolves around something like self centered paranoia in thinking that the entire world is out to get you and your family.

That's called absolutely flipping nuts, and I don't care what the laws state, her motives are screwed and she's using the law to the extreme to cover up something she isn't willing to face in her life. And eventually she's gonna loose it.

Even others in the communities who are in the NRA and police departments who love guns probably as much as she does think that she's a bit out there in the head.

There are sometimes when people have to seperate themselves from line by line reading of laws to support a burocracy of technicalities in order to enable someone with a mental case who has her children hanging around her hips all the time.

This isn't the wild west anymore, and even if it was, back then, the men carried their guns on their hips and wern't lugging children around with them wherever they went..... that position wasn't designed for saftey around children I imagine, there has been no justified action against her to warrent such a paranoia of needing a firearm wherever you go.

Seriously, when was the last time you seen anything on the news in regards to a little league soccor brawl with pipes, knives and guns breaking out between parents?

You might find one..... somewhere in the world...... frigging safer there then it is driving in your car.... which she apparently found out but didn't clue in, so now she carries a gun with her everywhere she goes.

She's a nut bar with chocolate chips.

The administration of Virginia Tech thought schools were an inapproprite place for guns, and banned them on-campus. Virginia is a "shall issue" state, but none of the student permit-holders were allowed to have their guns.....so they were walking targets......

Man, we've already went down this road..... they all have their guns, he has his gun, he starts shooting people, those people with their guns start shooting back, others come around the corner and see other students shooting at each other, doesn't know which one to shoot, or decide to shoot the wrong one, then those defending themselves are now being shot at by other students, and a bigger mess occurs, along with SWAT coming in with their guns and gunning down all the kids shooting their guns.

Game Over.

Gun or no Gun, you're a walking target regardless and it's really all up to the person doing the targeting.

But if you want to go down that route, think of it as being a sniper in war. You want to inflict a bunch of damage? You want to hurt the enemy or make it easier for your men to defeat them? You take out the officers and commanders if you have the chance. You want to kill as many kids at your school as you can before they take you out? Take out the one's flaunting their guns first.... now you have more guns and more ammo.

Then you're an even bigger target, and probably one of the first to get. You won't be the big hero, you'd be the first victim before you even knew what was going on.

Sure it might help you out if you're lucky and the guy didn't do his homework. You could be taking a dump in the bathroom when it all goes down, or hiding under the stage in the gym from the bullies (Odd considering you have a gun, I know)

But in the end, the odds of them reducing the actual losses at the school if they had guns is minimal, and you can use the one or two examples of it working before in the past, I'm sure there are many more examples in the past of it not working.

"Allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms deters violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental deaths. If those states which did not have right to carry concealed gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes and over 60,000 aggravated assaults would have been avoided yearly." -- Professor John R. Lott, Jr., and David B. Mustard, University of Chicago.

Facts About Right To Carry

I guess just because you have professor in your title doesn't actually mean you're smart. If the guy knew anything about common sense, he would know that there is not anyway for him to determine all of those crimes would have been prevented, since life usually isn't just a black or white situation.

Oh well they didn't have a gun to shoot and kill the guy, so that's why they died.

Oh well they had a gun to shoot the guy, but had the saftey on and got shot first.

Oh well they had a gun to shoot the guy but left it home.

Oh well they had a gun to shoot the guy, but the other guy already had a gun to his head before he knew it and was ordered to pass over the gun and die.... then died.

Or they could have shot the guy and the professor might have been right.

But if he was actually right, then how come the crime rate there sure as hell ain't improving?

Not to mention the amount of people who are about to become poor, out of work and desperate....... well, if it was even getting any better, it's about to go all to hell soon enough.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Yeah we'll soon see about that one.

As your perfect example, the buddy at V-Tech, he went and passed all the requirements and tests that he needed to. He waited as long as he needed to to get what he needed.

at that point he was a law abiding citizen, just like she is.

But the problem is that everybody was worrying about how nobody could catch the warning signs that he was a danger, or nobody took him seriously until it was too late.

Now we have a similar case of a woman who clearly identified that she was in a serious vehicle accident and since then she has not had any sense of security around here when she leaves her home. She claimed she isn't a paranoid, even though everything she says follows right along with someone suffering from various forms of it. She feels she needs to carry her gun with her to the children's soccor games, to Wal-Mart, geez, she'd probably have it strapped to the side of her even if she was surrounded by 100 cops in the center of a police department.

There's all kinds of signs right there in front of everybody. Having her kids on one side of her with the gun on the other, soon enough she'll be so acustomed to it being there, she'll go to grab something somewhere, slap the kid on the other side of her, or the other kid is in the shopping cart within arms reach.

She's a walking accident waiting to happen.

We'll see soon enough.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I would love to hear someone say how having a gun on your hip is more a danger to children than carrying a bottle of over the counter painkillers in your purse.

(let along putting them in a car)

I'd love to hear it.

@ VF, in most provinces and states you do have a right to carry a plainly visible knife on you as long as it is of a certain size or smaller (ie, no machete)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I would love to hear someone say how having a gun on your hip is more a danger to children than carrying a bottle of over the counter painkillers in your purse.

(let along putting them in a car)

I'd love to hear it.

Sure ok

Since most Px Bottles have child safety caps as being one factor, the concept of your child poking around in your purse to specifically look for pills to pop being a second remote factor, the fact that most of those pills require a drink to get them down easily as a third factor, but whenever I took pills as a child, their horrible taste alone once they hit the tounge was more then enough for me to spit the damn things out right away due to being so bitter....... not to mention the amount the child would need to down in order to kill itself from pain killers..... the argument isn't all that great of one.

But you did ask. :p

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You know, I'd worry a heck of a lot more about the "huge bull mastiff" around kids than I would about a holstered handgun.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Sure ok

Since most Px Bottles have child safety caps as being one factor, the concept of your child poking around in your purse to specifically look for pills to pop being a second remote factor, the fact that most of those pills require a drink to get them down easily as a third factor, but whenever I took pills as a child, their horrible taste alone once they hit the tounge was more then enough for me to spit the damn things out right away due to being so bitter....... not to mention the amount the child would need to down in order to kill itself from pain killers..... the argument isn't all that great of one.

But you did ask. :p

And how is that more dangerous than a kid taking a gun from the secured holster on a woman, disabling the safety, all without the woman noticing?

Since that is what I asked, how is the gun MORE dangerous. I don't care how remote the danger of over the counter painkillers are, I asked how they are less dangerous thanwhat the woman is doing.

Its comparative.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
And how is that more dangerous than a kid taking a gun from the secured holster on a woman, disabling the safety, all without the woman noticing?

When I was a kid, I was surrounded by weapons, firearms and the sort (most were all disabled and not usable except for show) and I imagine these kids have the same or more exposure to firearms then I did. The first thing I noticed on a gun, be that a pellet/bb gun, or other firearm that actually shoots bullets, was that little switch with the red on it. Everything else was all one color, but there was this red on the side of the gun.......

Should that be red, or should that be covered up? Being a kid, I can't remember those things, so let me just flick it one way to make sure it's safe by pulling the trigger.... click click..... well good thing there were no bullets loaded, so I guess the button goes this way then...... yup.....

But since I have it and it's not loaded, I think I'll go and chase my sister and scare the crap out of her.

Since that is what I asked, how is the gun MORE dangerous. I don't care how remote the danger of over the counter painkillers are, I asked how they are less dangerous thanwhat the woman is doing.

Its comparative.

And I just explained all the safety features and precautions in place, there were several factors which make it more safer.

A gun holstered on the hip of my drunk and passed out mother who's loaded on pain killers? Hmmm..... I flip that little piece of leather from the button thingy, oh, the gun comes right out now. Wonderful..... oh, and there's that tempting red button again.

I've tried to wake up mommy a few times already but she just keeps ignoring me, so maybe if I aim this in the air and squeeze off a few rounds, that'll wake her up....... hmmm..... that dam red button again...... ah there we go.

BANG BANG BANG!!!!!!! OW MY FINGERS!!!!

*Mom wakes up and quickly reaches for her gun*

WHAT THE HELL IN TARNATIONS IS GOING ON A'ROUND HERE!!!!???

*Staggers, slams head on ground, passes back out*

Well so much for that, now I gotta get to the hospital and get my fingers sewn back on.

----------------------

But seriously, I've heard a lot more reports of kids shooting themselves or others with their parents or brother's firearms they find in end tables by their beds, or in their closets while looking for porn, then I do of kids finding bitter tasting pills to slam down. Kids are more desensitized towards firearms and think they're cool action toys from TV and video games, then they do when it comes to popping pills thinking they're candy.

And I don't remember the last time I ever seen Px pills that looked like candy.