Gun-toting woman divides community

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Probably the same reason they have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

It edges ever closer to being a police state with each passing yr. Homeland security, wiretaps, unlawful arrest and confinement, lack of due process, the Patriot Act, the list is endless

I actually agree with your distaste for all these things........but they haven't contributed to increased murder rates, as those rates have fallen dramatically in the USA over the past 20 years.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting Colpy
But, let's go north, to the land of stringent gun control........where Nunavut, in the five years between 2003 and 2007, celebrated an average murder rate of 11.9 per 100,000 per year.....higher than 49 out of 50 states.

It's worse.....Nunivut has total a population of about 31 thousand.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

..and if you really researched, you'd find that it didn't have alot to do with "gun control", but the murder rate had a very high relation to alcoholism

A great mix. A drunk with a gun. What do you think happens?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Which is why the high murder rate there hasn't thrown national statistics completely out of kilter.

Doesn't change a thing, though.....a culture of murder exists in that area....because of all the continuing problems of the native populations: alcoholism, drug abuse, disintegrating family structure, hopelessness, poverty, joblessness.......sounds just like the Barrio, or the ghetto, doesn't it?

Take the guns away, they'd kill each other with hatchets.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Which is why the high murder rate there hasn't thrown national statistics completely out of kilter.

Doesn't change a thing, though.....a culture of murder exists in that area....because of all the continuing problems of the native populations: alcoholism, drug abuse, disintegrating family structure, hopelessness, poverty, joblessness.......sounds just like the Barrio, or the ghetto, doesn't it?

Take the guns away, they'd kill each other with hatchets.

"A culture of Murder??"

Hmmm. It must be a viral phenomenom as it didn't exist there 100 yrs ago.

alcoholism, drug abuse, disintegrating family structure, hopelessness, poverty, joblessness

based on who's yardstick? Theirs?

just like the Barrio, or the ghetto, doesn't it

That's a stretch and a half. Are you comparing Nunavet to Jane and Finch in Tarawna?

Do you ever think that the cultural has evolved that way since the advent of the gun and alcohol?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"A culture of Murder??"

Hmmm. It must be a viral phenomenom as it didn't exist there 100 yrs ago.

alcoholism, drug abuse, disintegrating family structure, hopelessness, poverty, joblessness

based on who's yardstick? Theirs?

just like the Barrio, or the ghetto, doesn't it

That's a stretch and a half. Are you comparing Nunavet to Jane and Finch in Tarawna?

Do you ever think that the cultural has evolved that way since the advent of the gun and alcohol?

So, I'm curious, where do you get the idea that murder rates were lower 100 years ago??????

Yes, BTW, I am comparing Nunavut to Jane & Finch. Exactly the same problem: a culture of violence based on all the problems I listed above.

BTW, Jane and Finch's troubles stem mostly from the Jamaican population. The murder rate in Jamaica is 35 per 100,000, more than 13 times ours, and 5 times that of the USA. All guns in Jamaica were seized in the late 70s and dumped into the sea.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Awesome thought process.

Yep

If there is no danger at all to people, lets revoke all our Amber Alert and Megan's Laws.

I wouldn't say no danger at all...negligible danger maybe...

Probably statistically similar to the chances of being killed by terrorists...

My god, you've solved all our problems. I assume when you see a police officer with a gun you also kick them in the face in disarm them?

Police have a reason to carry guns...in exercising their public duty they are sometimes put in a position where there lives are in danger because of civilian assholes who think they need to carry guns...

How many cops have you kicked in the face?

three

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I find it odd that she feels the need, or desire, to take it to soccer games. The coaches that I know of would probably have you banned from the soccer field for that, as it is completely unnecessary. Sure, it's her right to carry it. It's also the right of other people to ban guns from their premises.What's even funnier is that she finds all the fuss is hurting her babysitting business. I wonder why?

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Take away the reasons for people to feel they need firearms as weapons rather than tools, and they probably won't feel the need to use them as weapons.

By "tools", I assume you mean for hunting, which I can agree with...but I doubt there'll ever be a time in our future where firearms are considered tools only...

But this woman packing her Glock is not using this as a tool...she's using it for intimidation and as a deterrent...

She is using it as a threat to those who she supposes would harm her, she's screaming loud and clear "**** with me and you get the Glock"

I don't like to be screamed at, or threatened, even if just metaphorically, so I would kick her in the yap and take her Glock...

Maybe start a collection of my own...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
By "tools", I assume you mean for hunting, which I can agree with...but I doubt there'll ever be a time in our future where firearms are considered tools only...

But this woman packing her Glock is not using this as a tool...she's using it for intimidation and as a deterrent...

She is using it as a threat to those who she supposes would harm her, she's screaming loud and clear "**** with me and you get the Glock"

I don't like to be screamed at, or threatened, even if just metaphorically, so I would kick her in the yap and take her Glock...

This irritates the hell out of me.....does that mean I have some inherent right to kick your teeth down your throat just to shut you up?

No......because you have a right of free speech.

Likewise, she has a right to defend herself, and to bear arms to do so.......

therefore your fantasy threat to kick her in the face is way outta line.

Besides, you go around attacking armed people and you are going to get a 6 inch hole blown through your 5 inch neck, and deservedly so......

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That is what I meant by the term, yes. There are a great many things around that aren't used for beneficial purposes. Fortunately the vast majority are.

Then you would be adding fuel to the fire, wouldn't you? It would likely result in some gorilla in the crowd to kick you in the face and take the Glock from you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
she's obviously unbalanced and a threat to those around her.

My questions is why this wingnut is taking up so much space

Pa is a "shall issue" state. That means that with minimum requirements met (a course on gun handling and self-defence law and a background check) the government must issue the person a licence to carry a handgun concealed. There are 37 states with such laws. In two states, no licence is required.

Right to Carry maps

She is far from a wingnut.....she is simply doing what millions of Americans do on adaily basis. The wing nuts are the ones crying because she exercises her rights.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I never said it would happen if it was kept in the holster. I am talking about if she tries to take it out and drops it, she takes it out and forgets it on the counter, she feels threatened by something and takes it out while trying to run away with a kid in her arms, one of the kids(while she is distracted) pulls out the gun and accidentally shoots it.

If she wants to keep it concealed, that is fine. However, she should not be carrying it around a soccer game or Walmart where other people can see it. They have the right to enjoy themselves without worrying about someone carrying a gun around.

At least everyone can see she has a gun. I would be more concerned about all the ones who do keep their handguns hidden. How do you know they have a permit or are even allowed to own a gun? I would bet a paycheque that no criminals have permits for their concealed guns.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
At least everyone can see she has a gun. I would be more concerned about all the ones who do keep their handguns hidden. How do you know they have a permit or are even allowed to own a gun? I would bet a paycheque that no criminals have permits for their concealed guns.

That may be true, but there are certain places that a gun should not be carried around(in view or hidden) even if it is legal. A soccer game is one of them.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That may be true, but there are certain places that a gun should not be carried around(in view or hidden) even if it is legal. A soccer game is one of them.

Why? You think soccer games are exempt from attacks by loonies?

The administration of Virginia Tech thought schools were an inapproprite place for guns, and banned them on-campus. Virginia is a "shall issue" state, but none of the student permit-holders were allowed to have their guns.....so they were walking targets......

"Allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms deters violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental deaths. If those states which did not have right to carry concealed gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes and over 60,000 aggravated assaults would have been avoided yearly." -- Professor John R. Lott, Jr., and David B. Mustard, University of Chicago.

Facts About Right To Carry

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No, but it is MY right to feel that there are certain places a gun should not be carried.

We can go round and round with topics like this, but we will never convince the other that our opinions are the correct ones. I am enjoying the debate though.:smile:

ETA: If students were allowed to carry guns to school at Virginia Tech, how would the average student know who the "bad guys" were if they all carried one? Once the bullets started flying, people would start shooting at anyone else shooting. Who knows? Even more people may have died that day. This goes for any school shooting.