Great Big Stupid Charter Shut up Shut up Shut up

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I probably should have been more specific. I was referring to the fact that child services and the spca need more than an anonymous phone call to enter your home without permission.

My bad.

wrong, at least in regards to child services. All they need is an anonymous tip stating that there is physical or sexual abuse in the home and they can knock on your door unanounced. If you refuse them entry to conduct thier investigation, they call the police and aprehend the children right then and there, and you don't get them back till the investigation is over.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In Nova Scotia, if the homeowner refuses entry to an agent of Child and Family Services, the agent must get a court order. The judge must be satisfied that there is reasonable grounds for the agent to enter, like evidence of abuse or probable harm. An anonymous tip doesn't cut it. A system like that is easily abused.

Since every province has their own legislation on this matter, I'm sure there's differences depending on where you are.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In BC it's the way I described it, Social Services does not need to justify an aprehension to a judge untill after the fact.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In Nova Scotia, entering the home, and apprehension are treated differently. An order to remove the child is given ex parte by court order.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
"As for having a hunch, one has a very reasonable expectation that at any given time in a sufficiently large high school, somebody is carrying around drugs. This doesn't mean that a police officer can come in and search everybody's locker and bags in an uncoordinated, untargeted fashion. It has happened before, however."

That might not be such a bad idea. There is nothing wrong with confiscating illegal drugs from teenagers- that is like destroying the embryo before the monster appears.

Ya, cause that was never abused to try and find out which kids are secretly gay (or even just artistic and keeping poetry) and have them beaten to near death by their fellow students while the cops look the other way.

Homophobic cops and teenageers!, perish the thought!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ya, cause that was never abused to try and find out which kids are secretly gay (or even just artistic and keeping poetry) and have them beaten to near death by their fellow students while the cops look the other way.

Homophobic cops and teenageers!, perish the thought!

We're talking about committing serious crime and public safety here, not gays.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, that's the slippery slope when playing loose with peoples rights regarding proper searches and seizures.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
wrong, at least in regards to child services. All they need is an anonymous tip stating that there is physical or sexual abuse in the home and they can knock on your door unanounced. If you refuse them entry to conduct thier investigation, they call the police and aprehend the children right then and there, and you don't get them back till the investigation is over.

Though the scope of their investigation is very narrow. Only abuse of children is considered. Should they find 4 million in cocain, (what you keep that on the coffee table) it's still not going to stand up in court. They can probably keep your kids but they can't charge you for the coke.

I don't much like the idea of an anonimous tip either. But people are just not interested in getting involved.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Some people are convicted in spite of their rights and some get off because of them. It just goes to show you there is no consistency amongst judges. Kind of makes your faith iin their judgments a little iffy, right?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Some people are convicted in spite of their rights and some get off because of them. It just goes to show you there is no consistency amongst judges. Kind of makes your faith iin their judgments a little iffy, right?

Very iffy, Anna