Good British Bands.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The Beatles didn't rubber stamp tunes to fit the commercial market. They did what they wanted and created many timeless masterpieces. Today talent is hired by producers to fit into a little plastic mold for the commercial market. No originality and no individuality, and it shows.

Well said. In fact, we forget that at the time songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or "She Loves You" were out that these types of songs were as way-out as it got for that time. They seem so commerical now, but at the time these early Beatles songs were different from anything heard before.The other amazing feature of these talented artists was their refusal to stay in a mold. For those of us who followed their music, each album was different from the one before, and set new limits for originality and diversity. They never repeated themselves. And as you wrote, they never compromised their musical ideas to fit into a market, never. They expected the market to accomodate to their ideas.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So true Sanctus. For anyone who has seen the documentary of the Beatles that focuses a lot on their producer George Martin it's very noticable. He would come to the studio and John Lennon would tell him what they were doing. It was Martin's job to make the engineering work. That is vastly different from today's music scene where most musicians come to the studio by invitation and get told what to do.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
So true Sanctus. For anyone who has seen the documentary of the Beatles that focuses a lot on their producer George Martin it's very noticable. He would come to the studio and John Lennon would tell him what they were doing. It was Martin's job to make the engineering work. That is vastly different from today's music scene where most musicians come to the studio by invitation and get told what to do.

Well, if nothing else, they certainly put England on the map as far as rock and roll was concerned. Every artist then and now has to directly thank the Beatles for being able to sell CD's outside of Britain. No one gave a tiddley-wink about the British music scene until The Beatles made it.

No one came close to them, not the Stones, the Kinks or any of their other contemporaries. As one person growing up at the time, each album was a mystery when bought. You just never knew what new sounds this group was going to come up with. I well remember buying "Revolver" in 66..and from "Taxman" on it was like listening to a whole new kind of music. In fact, it was like a whole new band from their previous album which had been "Rubber Soul". It was like this with each new album. They'd put it out, and suddenly the entire rest of rock and roll would be scrambling to keep up with them. Remember when "Pepper" came out? That one album just killed the careers of all the Herman's Hermits types of bands. Suddenly, with one album, everything had changed. Anyone around at that time remember the impact "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" had on the world at the time of tis release! Hard to imagine now, but I assure you that one single album came down on the world like a ton of bricks...such good times...

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well, if nothing else, they certainly put England on the map as far as rock and roll was concerned. Every artist then and now has to directly thank the Beatles for being able to sell CD's outside of Britain. No one gave a tiddley-wink about the British music scene until The Beatles made it.

No one came close to them, not the Stones, the Kinks or any of their other contemporaries. As one person growing up at the time, each album was a mystery when bought. You just never knew what new sounds this group was going to come up with. I well remember buying "Revolver" in 66..and from "Taxman" on it was like listening to a whole new kind of music. In fact, it was like a whole new band from their previous album which had been "Rubber Soul". It was like this with each new album. They'd put it out, and suddenly the entire rest of rock and roll would be scrambling to keep up with them. Remember when "Pepper" came out? That one album just killed the careers of all the Herman's Hermits types of bands. Suddenly, with one album, everything had changed. Anyone around at that time remember the impact "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" had on the world at the time of tis release! Hard to imagine now, but I assure you that one single album came down on the world like a ton of bricks...such good times...
Great post Mary. Like you said they reinvented themselves and the music scene with each record.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Great post Mary. Like you said they reinvented themselves and the music scene with each record.

I'll say it was good. Heck, I was a kid in grade school when "Sgt. Pepper" was released and even I remember the impact it had on the world of music. The whole "psychadelic" era was born, overnight.And the music on that album...amazing still.Small wonder it is still listed by all reputable musical places as the best album of all time.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The new albums from scots Idlewild and the Kaiser Chiefs are amazing, I love Keane, Franz Ferdinand, the Stereophonics and Muse, and my favourite all-time bands U2 (thought they're Irish) and Oasis are legendary.

Blackleaf, you're the only person I've seen ever mention the band A; I remember finding it by accident looking for American Hi-Fi (funny how search strings find A - Hi-Fi Serious), and have loved them since.

However, the Darkness are probably the worst thing to happen to rock music in the past decade.

I've got two A albums.

I don't think they get the recognition that they deserve.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And I say a hearty yeah, yeah, yeah as well:) Once you've heard The Beatles, who cares what else comes out of Britain;-)

Well, our musical output puts Canada to shame.

If Canadians didn't listen to British bands then what would you listen to? Sum 41 and Nickleback would be the limit.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Another list -

Depeche Mode
Enter Shikari
The Eurythmics
Erasure
Snow Patrol
The Chemical Brothers
The Human League
Madness
Elastica
Tears For Fears
Portishead
The Rolling Stones
Pulp
Coldplay
The Beat
New Order
James
The Streets
The Cure
Bloc Party
Echo and the Bunnymen
Joy Division
The Smiths
Radiohead

My friend in Italy loves Depeche Mode. They are huge in Continental Europe, apparently.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

If Canadians didn't listen to British bands then what would you listen to? Sum 41 and Nickleback would be the limit.

Blackleaf, download/purchase some song from "The Arcade Fire". Nothing like above mentioned artists.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Blackleaf,

If you go to concerts much, I highly suggest you check out the Arcade Fire. They are a Canadian band, but are wildy popular in both Europe and North America. Here is their upcoming European tour.

European Tour

Patrick Wolf opens from 3/5 thru 3/15
Electrelane opens from 3/16 thru 4/5

03/05 Dublin, Ireland Olympia
03/06 Dublin, Ireland Olympia
03/08 Manchester, England Apollo
03/09 Manchester, England Apollo
03/11 Glasgow, Scotland Barrowlands
03/12 Glasgow, Scotland Barrowlands
03/14 London, England Brixton Academy
03/15 London, England Brixton Academy
03/16 London, England Brixton Academy
03/17 London, England Brixton Academy
03/19 Paris, France Olympia
03/20 Paris, France Olympia
03/23 Stockholm, Sweden Circus
03/24 Oslo, Norway Centrum Scene
03/25 Copenhagen, Denmark Vega
03/27 Berlin, Germany Postbahnhof
03/28 Munich, Germany Elserhalle
03/31 Lyon, France Transbordeur
04/01 Cologne, Germany E- Live Music Hall
04/02 Utrecht, Netherlands Vredenburg
04/04 Brussels, Belgium Halles de Schaerbeek
04/05 Lille, France L'Aeronef

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Beaver are you saying your younger than 30

No I'm not saying that, I'v just not gotten stuck in the past, imprinting on old music has ruined many peoples ability to enjoy the newer stuff which I find in most cases to be superior to the old tunes, the lyrics are more intelligent and the insturmental parts are more complex and refined. Old heaveys like Black Sabbath compared with many of the recent past is an unfair comparison, I still like Sabbath tunes but the music has moved onward and upward, stagnation of taste is a sad thing I think. I'm fifty-three going on eight-teen, pagan serpent worshipers can do that.:laughing7::wave:

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007

Don't be an ethnic snob. Canada has hundreds of its own bands and singers, thank you very much. We have quite a thriving music scene here, and have had one since the 1960's.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
No I'm not saying that, I'v just not gotten stuck in the past, imprinting on old music has ruined many peoples ability to enjoy the newer stuff which I find in most cases to be superior to the old tunes, the lyrics are more intelligent and the insturmental parts are more complex and refined. Old heaveys like Black Sabbath compared with many of the recent past is an unfair comparison, I still like Sabbath tunes but the music has moved onward and upward, stagnation of taste is a sad thing I think. I'm fifty-three going on eight-teen, pagan serpent worshipers can do that.:laughing7::wave:
lol That last line is a killer . always love your replies can't wait till your eight-teen.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Another list -

Depeche Mode
Enter Shikari
The Eurythmics
Erasure
Snow Patrol
The Chemical Brothers
The Human League
Madness
Elastica
Tears For Fears
Portishead
The Rolling Stones
Pulp
Coldplay
The Beat
New Order
James
The Streets
The Cure
Bloc Party
Echo and the Bunnymen
Joy Division
The Smiths
Radiohead
BLOC PARTY are trying to pull a fast one on us?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Elenor Rigby, I like it too, it's got a haunting quality to it. I have never been much of an audiophile and I can't play an insturment, but my oldest son is a very good guitarist, I might go with him to a band practice tonight, he's getting involved with a metal band..The last bunch he was with we're into rock-jazz fusion but univercity got in the way.:wave:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Elenor Rigby, I like it too, it's got a haunting quality to it. I have never been much of an audiophile and I can't play an insturment, but my oldest son is a very good guitarist, I might go with him to a band practice tonight, he's getting involved with a metal band..The last bunch he was with we're into rock-jazz fusion but univercity got in the way.:wave:
darn education thats where I learnt to drink lol