Genocide in Canada

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Researcher

The problem is not your topic, but how you present it. I understand you didn't write the article, but its intent was to provoke an emotional response, and you got it.

There have been several books written about what the article claims. Residential Schools both in Canada and the US were used as a means of "assimilating" the indigenous populations into the new "western" society. When assimilation failed, intentional extermination was used. This happened moreso in Canada than the US for one simple reason. The US went to war with the Indian population (which led to an overt extermination via war or forced relocations), hence they were subdued and very few Residential Schools were needed.

British North America however decided to get rid of them the "covert" way, this has been a tactic of the British Empire since it swept over the planet. Australia, South Africa, India, all of them were intentionally (attempted) eradicated by injecting disease into the populations.

The problem with Canadians is that they haven't faced much of their past (no offense), hence why the issue with Native Americans or First Nations or however else you prefer to refer to the peoples of the Americas is constantly brought up. If you rely on Pierre Burtons "twist" on historical events to make it "colorful", then you get the wrong message. Pierre Burton attempted to make "Canadian" history interesting to Canadians, you're not going to do that easily by stating there was a systemic movement of eradication.

Canadian history does not give one the impression of a country that "evolved" into independence, it is steeped in quelled rebellions, fifth columns and war. You were the British Empire and dam proud of it (and I'm not arguing that point), but that pride comes with a price. There was nothing "noble" about the British Empire, and that's exactly who you were.

Americans have dug into history and is open for all to see and critisize, it's time Canadians do the same.

My two cents and no offense intended.

I agree. And that is why I want to get that name out at least in that thread. Because i want people to begin to question the idea that live wasn't great under residential schools and basically history that was told to us as Canadians in elementary and high school was a lie. Or half-truths.

And Residential schools could be seen as assimilating or just destroying a culture because what did they replace it with?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The erradication of Culture doesn't really bother me in the slightest. I don't see any culture as having any inherent right to exist, and if one manages to destroy another good for it, in some way its obviously better. Cultural Darwinism.

The Erradication of people bothers me though. While a Culture is a set of Ideas and perceptions (which may or may not need removing), people are just that, people of flesh and blood.

Telling someone you won't give him work because he believes he is from a genetically superior master race is one thing, forcing him to change his culture. Murdering him and his children for being of a different culture is another, it is simply wrong..at least to my culture.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Considering there were 20,000 Haudenosaunee (Iroquois/Six Nations) in the 1600's. It's safe to say your source for there only being 100,000 to 125,000 in the whole of Canada. By the 1930's when the residential schools were at there hight, there were a lot more then that here. Of this I can assure you.

Perhaps it was from this gentlemen, and I use that term losly.

1913 - 1932
Duncan Campbell Scott, Head of Indian Affairs takes a romantic interest in Native traditions, but disdains ‘living’ Natives. In 1920 he said, "I want to get rid of the Indian problem. Our object is to continue until there is not a single Indian in Canada that has not been absorbed. They are a weird and waning race...ready to break out at any moment in savage dances."

There is a BIG difference between an attempt at complete assimilation, which is what Scott is speaking about, and wholesale murder of children.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
There is a BIG difference between an attempt at complete assimilation, which is what Scott is speaking about, and wholesale murder of children.

The only way to assimilate was to kill them.

Now from reading a book from a former United Church minister that still should be academic, and is only in a few universities, mine included, because i offended the religious or some BS like that who didn't want to hear about the genocide of 50,000 children killed, he got one of the war criminals, war criminals bein his words and spoke to him;

"The war criminal said plainly that for escapees they would keep them in wooden stocks in the basement for several days without food or water, and then bring the escapee children up and infront of other aboriginal children flog them until they were dead ... and he states later that no one cared about Aboriginal children then and they don't know"

I haven't slept in days since reading that. Just picturing how a man or a woman stood over a little frightened aboriginal girl or boy and flog them until they died. Wouldn't they hear their screams and crys?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The only way to assimilate was to kill them.

Now from reading a book from a former United Church minister that still should be academic, and is only in a few universities, mine included, because i offended the religious or some BS like that who didn't want to hear about the genocide of 50,000 children killed, he got one of the war criminals, war criminals bein his words and spoke to him;

"The war criminal said plainly that for escapees they would keep them in wooden stocks in the basement for several days without food or water, and then bring the escapee children up and infront of other aboriginal children flog them until they were dead ... and he states later that no one cared about Aboriginal children then and they don't know"

I haven't slept in days since reading that. Just picturing how a man or a woman stood over a little frightened aboriginal girl or boy and flog them until they died. Wouldn't they hear their screams and crys?

What book?

What minister?

References, please.

Convince me.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I don't have the book on me. I will provide you with the reference later promise.

his name is Reverend Kevin Annett or something like that and he was a former United Church minister in Port Alberni up and till 1995in 1995.

Hidden from history : the Canadian Holocaust : the untold story of the genocide of Aboriginal peoples by church and state in Canada 2nd ed.

is the book title.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
forgiveness please

My mother had 3 girl friends(all native) when i was growing up --2 of the women worked for womens native centre in ottawa in the 90's I being a non native was exposed at a young age to how this wonderful people had been torn apart ,relocated and trying to mend themselves , I believe the goverment years ago was selffish, trecherous, self serving bunch(still are) ,I cant belive how any canadain immigrant cause (really thats what we are) , could deny what happened ,Now throwing money to soothe .I have felt since a small girl that the native peolpe will heal themselves ,by themselves for themselves ,there is no thanks to the goverment ,the rcmp ,I am ashamed to see what the previous generations in charge did and tried to hide ,there are many of us who are sick of the goverments pretending things werent that bad ,I belive in the circle of life and believe what comes around goes around , even those that sat by by allowing such crimes and you know who you are, should be ashamed and we all should be seeking forgiveness from these peoples ,They are saving themselves ,no monetary sum can do that ,it can only be accomplished by people with the strengh of warriors .My eyes are fil;led with tears reading the facts of how this horrible injustice took place --

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what? So was my mother, in an all-white public school in southern Ontario. She never claimed compensation for it. It wasn't because you're aboriginal, it was because you're left handed and your teachers were ignorant. Get over it.

FYI. I wasn't griping, I was informing #juan that the issue was real, the abuse did happen. I have never claimed compensation, nor has any member of my family. I got over it years ago, so did my Grand Father who suffered at the hands of the clergy far more then I. Compensation in matters such as these, beit for the interned Japanese, the Chinese haed tax or whatever, are nothing more then litigated welfare. And I'll have no part of it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't have the book on me. I will provide you with the reference later promise.

his name is Reverend Kevin Annett or something like that and he was a former United Church minister in Port Alberni up and till 1995in 1995.

Hidden from history : the Canadian Holocaust : the untold story of the genocide of Aboriginal peoples by church and state in Canada 2nd ed.

is the book title.

Thank you.

I'll try and look it up.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I'll weigh in with my two cents. I will try to reamin relatively unbiased:

Residential schools were an attempt to assimilate Natives into "white" society. This was forced upon the Natives, there was no choice involved. It's true that 50% of Natives who attended residential schools did not survive. Some of them were murdered, plain and simple. However, most of them died from tuberculosis. The Natives were packed into very close living quarters which obviously makes it much easier to spread disease. A doctor (Dr. Peter Bryce), working for the government, noticed this and urged the government to improve the conditions at residential schools. Unfortunately, his pleas were ignored and Natives continued to die. There was of course many examples of abuse, and even cases of murder. But when someone says that 50% died of murder, it is important to note that they died of neglect rather than being murdered outright.

Try googling the name "Dr. Peter Bryce" along with another related word like "residential school" and you'll find perhaps one of the most unbiased and reliable sources of information at the time.
This looks like a good source for starters: Link
I've only skimmed through it, but it looks pretty reliable.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
We didn't have "Indian Wars" in Canada but they sure as hell had them in the U.S.
link

The Apache were hunted down like vermin. Indian leaders like Geronimo, Sitting Bull, and Crazy Horse were only a handful of all those who were destroyed along with most of their people.

My great, great grandfather (Joseph Arcand) had this friend named Louis Riel. As I understand it, the government didn't like him too much.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Since I have recorded records from Duncan Cambell Scott saying that 50% of Aboriginal Children who went to Residential school died in the year 1910, that is when the quote was. I do believe there story.

Aboriginal ssociety unlike White man's society, have had oral tradition, it has changed, but I do believe I would believe an old aboriginals words, if I found evidence from the school he went too.

I'm not surprised the number of deaths were so high in 1910, given the amount of deaths from things like [SIZE=-1] pneumonic plauge, tuberculosis, influenza and many other pandemics. Do a little research, you'll see that the numbers from China to San Fransico to Canada were exceedingly staggering at the turn of the century on.[/SIZE]

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
:rolleyes:

Yeah and let me guess they left them to die without treatment too in Canada and Sanfrancisco.

What are you inferring with your statement? Nothing directed at me I assume?

On the other hand, if you look at the communities where the highests deaths were recorded, I'm sure you will find that they were left to die, more often than not. Diseases of that nature thrive in places where we find lots of people living in cramp quarters and in close proximity with one another, often poor etc, etc.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
What are you inferring with your statement? Nothing directed at me I assume?

On the other hand, if you look at the communities where the highests deaths were recorded, I'm sure you will find that they were left to die, more often than not. Diseases of that nature thrive in places where we find lots of people living in cramp quarters and in close proximity with one another, often poor etc, etc.

Exactly, like in residential schools where living quarters were very cramped. This was brought to the attention of the canadian government and nothing was done about it.
The statistics vary from place to place. In Manitoba & northwest territories, check out the link I provided earlier Link which states that 24% died from tuberculosis. I'm not sure how many died of other causes though.
In other areas, it varies anywhere from about 25-50% for the total death rate. Even 25% is very high.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Another one for the "DO NOT READ WHILE DRINKING HOT COFFEE INFRONT OF THE MONITOR" list.

By chance, are you Metis?

Just enough to qualify if I really wanted to. You can see some of the genetic characteristics in me (like the hair, a bit in the eyes, slightly darker skin tone), but my little brother is white beyond white. :D

My dad is really gunghoe about it but I think thats partly because my grandmother was so ashamed about it (for some reason that I don't understand). I think its kind of interesting that I have an ancestor that was tried alongside Reil (Arcand was sentenced to one year, he had something like ten kids that his wife would have had to take care of alone during that time).

It was also nice to show up my college prof who was going on and on about her ancestors, and how they helped found Calgary, blah, blah, blah. You should have seen her face when she found out that there was someone in the class with a better story than her's. Man, was she ever a bitch. :D

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Doesn't that mean Said1 that it was murder anyway if they did not treat them or at less negligent manslaughter. You have a child dying and you stick healthy children with him or her, that is wrong, and don't treat any?

Also thanks for the link.