Free trade vs. Fair trade

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thank you NAFTA!

SASKATCHEWAN MANUFACTURING INCREASE QUADRUPLES NATIONAL AVERAGE
Saskatchewan's manufacturing sales increased by a dramatic 16 per cent over the past year, according to Statistics Canada. Canada's national average increase was 4 per cent.

"When people in Saskatchewan go to work, they are building everything from farm machinery to cutting-edge software and those products are being sold in markets across Canada and around the world," Enterprise Minister Jeremy Harrison said. "This province is blessed with tremendous natural resources and we are working hard to build on that foundation by driving success in manufacturing."

Between April 2011 and May 2011, manufacturing sales were up by 8.6 per cent, the highest percentage increase among the provinces (seasonally adjusted). This is well above the 0.8 per cent decline experienced on a national basis. On an annual basis, sales were up 16 per cent, the second highest improvement in the nation while nationally, sales were up only 4 per cent. Sales increases were attributed to a rise in sales in the chemical industry.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Thank you NAFTA!

SASKATCHEWAN MANUFACTURING INCREASE QUADRUPLES NATIONAL AVERAGE
Saskatchewan's manufacturing sales increased by a dramatic 16 per cent over the past year, according to Statistics Canada. Canada's national average increase was 4 per cent.

"When people in Saskatchewan go to work, they are building everything from farm machinery to cutting-edge software and those products are being sold in markets across Canada and around the world," Enterprise Minister Jeremy Harrison said. "This province is blessed with tremendous natural resources and we are working hard to build on that foundation by driving success in manufacturing."

Between April 2011 and May 2011, manufacturing sales were up by 8.6 per cent, the highest percentage increase among the provinces (seasonally adjusted). This is well above the 0.8 per cent decline experienced on a national basis. On an annual basis, sales were up 16 per cent, the second highest improvement in the nation while nationally, sales were up only 4 per cent. Sales increases were attributed to a rise in sales in the chemical industry.

With one hand you praise free trade and globalization and with the other you criticize Harper for removing our economic sovereignty.

How does it feel to be Janus?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The problem that held back SK manufacturing is the same problem the under-developed world is facing in getting their products to market and a good dollar. Infrastructure.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Energy isn't our economic leader.

PS. You can thank Strong for going to bat for us and China for funding the infrastructure.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why the link? Couldn't find one about the manufactured goods they intend to buy now that these goods have an efficient way to market?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Why the link? Couldn't find one about the manufactured goods they intend to buy now that these goods have an efficient way to market?

Are you assuming that I believe free trade is always bad?

Oh wait.. yes, you are.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Why do always assume everything is about oil?

Oh, you were expecting me to mention oil so that you could go on about minerals?

An unfortunate snag for you, that I didn't get caught in that trap, isn't it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh no no no. I was going to go on about manufacturing but if you want I go into the vast untapped mineral wealth too.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Don't worry the regulations are very high, sometimes overkill.

I'm sure in some ways they are and in some ways they aren't.

But we won't get anywhere if you continue to paint anyone who disagrees with you as a Bolshevik.