Fraser Institute says H.S.T. will benefit low and middle income earners.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
DurkaDurka, it’s not quite as simple as “taxes bad [foam at mouth]”.

Show me something to back up "ultimately benefit from the savings that these business are going to experience."

I have never heard of a business passing on tax savings to the consumer, it's more profit to them.

[gags at your unconditional love for all things government]

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Show me something to back up "ultimately benefit from the savings that these business are going to experience."

I have never heard of a business passing on tax savings to the consumer, it's more profit to them.
Here’s one such example.

I do not support Her Majesty’s Government for British Columbia, but nice try.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Here’s one such example.

"plans to pass on lower prices to customers after the new tax becomes law July 1."

One company so far, if 90% of the businesses in total, benefiting from this tax change choose to do the same, maybe then you can claim this is a benefit for consumers.

I do not support Her Majesty’s Government for British Columbia, but nice try.

A liberal you don't like? That's unheard of. :smile:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Today's news is calling for more MLA's to resign because of the implimentation of the HST. What they said is, if 6 more resign, the BC Liberals will then be in a minority government rather than a majority. Some MLA's are upset because there are considerably more votes against the HST then there was for them on voting day. They feel this is a good indicator of voter interest and confidence. The boat's a rockin' and it's beginning to look like Campbell could fall overboard.

Maybe so, but if his government falls and if he runs on the harmonization platform, do you think he will be reelected?

As much as it may seem unpalatable (as does any discussion of a potential tax increase), the harmonised sales tax is absolutely an essential component of keeping British Columbia competitive. The Honourable Gordon Campbell M.L.A. (Vancouver—Point Grey), the Premier of British Columbia, indeed made some political miscalculations by keeping this part of its agenda so low-key during the electoral campaign; however, it remains the correct decision.

Perhaps it was necessary to keep it low key in order to get a majority. I remember Mulroney had introduction of GST in his platform, but he kept it very low key. The election was about free trade and hardly anybody talked about the GST.

A politician does whatever is necessary to get elected.

If you missed that at the time, it's purely your fault. It most certainly was talked about at the time, at least in NB. Same as just recently in Ontario - there were websties where peopel could see how the tax rates would change on vairous items. And in ONtario, under the HST, there are some things that still have GST only. It's far more complicated than the HST scheme we have.

There is hardly any opposition in Ontario. If asked, people probably will say they are against it, but there is no strong sentiment against it. Perhaps one reason is that if anybody was going to organize the opposition, it would be the opposition party, which is the Conservative Party. But seeing that Conservatives in Ottawa support it so strongly, Conservatives here in Ontario cannot really oppose it tooth and nail.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Well I have- If you have a business and every employee is sitting on their A$$ along with all the other business, you know damn well one of them is going to start paring prices to get an edge. The restaurant business especially in summer will be cut throat.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well I have- If you have a business and every employee is sitting on their A$$ along with all the other business, you know damn well one of them is going to start paring prices to get an edge. The restaurant business especially in summer will be cut throat.

Maybe I cynical about this but how often do you see business lower prices across the board for consumers? I think it the business is solid, this tax change will just make their accounting simpler, for the consumer the benefits are negligible.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yeah ok.... don't believe someone who's already been living with HST for years now and knows first hand what happens in such an environment.... but believe someone who spouts off a copy/paste of some report, who hasn't even lived with the HST yet who doesn't even bother to see it for what it truly is.

Everything in the above report is almost identical to the same argument given to justify us having the HST tossed onto us.

It's pretty much one of the main reasons why the Liberals haven't lead Nova Scotia in like forever.

The HST is simply not beneficial for low and middle income earners, because more of the products they purchase that usually only have one or the other tax on, will now spike with more taxes on those products and any meager savings giving on the GST/PST products converting to HST, will be lost when covering these products that originally only had one tax or the other..... in fact, you will end up spending even more taxes per year then ever before.

^ That doesn't mean we did the right thing, nor does it justify continuing to expand the HST when clearly nobody is looking at the results that occurred here when we did.

By the way.... the term HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) replaced the old term BST (Blended Sales Tax) after it was discovered that most people in the Maritimes were referring to the BST as the "Bullsh*t Tax"
[/COLOR]

Before you critique the article I posted perhaps you should actually read it.

Don't believe me though, someone who actually runs a buisness and charges the sales tax.:roll::lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Competitive pressures in Atlantic Canada saw the savings businesses realized from lower cost of production passed onto consumers.

It's not conjecture, that's what economists have found when they look back:

http://cms.chilliwackchamber.com/hst_atlantic.pdf
"To summarize, we found that prices adjusted as expected during the first two years of the HST for the three HST-participating provinces and the overall price fell somewhat."

Look at the consumer price index in NS, NB and Nfld Lab...overall, all 3 CPI's for the three provinces went down. Effective capital investment tax rates went down....

Seriously, what do you think happens when one store doesn't pass on the cost savings? All it takes is for one competitor to pass on a portion of the savings, and then total sales goes up. Then others follow suit. That's what has happened here.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Competitive pressures in Atlantic Canada saw the savings businesses realized from lower cost of production passed onto consumers.

It's not conjecture, that's what economists have found when they look back:

http://cms.chilliwackchamber.com/hst_atlantic.pdf
"To summarize, we found that prices adjusted as expected during the first two years of the HST for the three HST-participating provinces and the overall price fell somewhat."

Look at the consumer price index in NS, NB and Nfld Lab...overall, all 3 CPI's for the three provinces went down. Effective capital investment tax rates went down....

Seriously, what do you think happens when one store doesn't pass on the cost savings? All it takes is for one competitor to pass on a portion of the savings, and then total sales goes up. Then others follow suit. That's what has happened here.

Not to mention making the province more competetive and creating jobs for lower and middle income earners.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have a PDF document (13 pages) naming "some" of the changes in tax. For any of you who smoke - all products in that area are going up to a 12% tax. PST was not charged on cigarettes before. The pages are broken down by product. There is just way too much information to post on here.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I have a PDF document (13 pages) naming "some" of the changes in tax. For any of you who smoke - all products in that area are going up to a 12% tax. PST was not charged on cigarettes before. The pages are broken down by product. There is just way too much information to post on here.

Good, cancer treatment is exspensive.