First Nations Treaties

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How unfortunate.... but....I would say that Canadians as a whole are geting sick and tired of tthe constant whining and just might be ready to say enough is enough and do what is nessasary to put a stop to it.

Respecting contracts is highly overrated I see

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With the way that this whole mess has been handled, and the fact that many indians don't seem to want to be "Canadians", then of course it will be looked at as indians vs. the ROC.

This whole BS about a "Nation within a Nation" is not sustainable. Either your people join Canada willingly, or if not, then Canada takes the solid stance of assimilation.

Then we should have thought of this before coming to North America.

The fact of the matter is that many First Nations have never surrendered their lands, and that is still legally recognized. As such, it's not a matter of rescinding their Canadian-ness, but of never having agreed to it in the first place. They were here first and our parents broke their 'immigration laws' in a big way. Now we have to live with it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Then we should have thought of this before coming to North America.

Impossible. I didn't "come" to North America. I, like most people in this country, was born here.

The fact of the matter is that many First Nations have never surrendered their lands, and that is still legally recognized. As such, it's not a matter of rescinding their Canadian-ness, but of never having agreed to it in the first place.

I agree and any aboriginal that wants to give up his/her Canadian citizenship should be able to do so. They should then be refused entry into Canada.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't know who the cowardly dumbass is that gave me a red rep for that post, but they need to grow up and get a life.
It wasn't me, I would have signed it, besides I only give green points and no I haven't given you any.

Oh brother, stop trying to help. You like many other pro Native people are blessed with the inexplicable plight of dumb.
I was trying to help myself. Some reservations near me have nothing to attract tourists, other than scenery. If they could offer something 'exotic' like Bolivian tea, (water soaked coco leaves) then getting a steady supply of customers would be easy. In my neck of the woods scattered cabins would be easier and cheaper over a huge main base. The loophole I was looking for was to do with traditions that might have been left to our Native people would allow Natives to trade with other first people in any part of north, central or south Americas.
That was my reason for asking, nothing noble about it.

Do you think this is the first time I've argued about Treaties? I have over a hundred Treaty documents on disc here in my office. Complete with SCoC interpretations. As well as CLS notes.
Then you should have an answer on the tip of your lips.

I've been arguing it for years. First I was a militant Warrior, blamed whitey for everything, then I grew up and realised that my own people are as much to blame.
That doesn't mean some loopholes in the Treaties couldn't be used for their advantage. The biggest danger from us white-men is that we teach reward a few with much and kill/ignore/persecute the rest.

Grow up clown.
Look who I was talking to back then and who I am talking to now. 8O lol
I just can't understand why nobody has not said that at any time in the last half-century. It would have made things so much easier for me and a lot of others. lol

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
... for being overly friendly to usurpers to begin with and allowing it to continue, yes. lol
Not really, more like for perpetuating stereotypes and believing that so long as they are red, they will never achieve anything more then the status quo.

The Dragon is back, welcome back CDNBear. :lol:
Thanx Iron, it's nice to see you're still here.

It wasn't me, I would have signed it, besides I only give green points and no I haven't given you any.
Funny, I didn't accuse you. Feeling guilty?

Then you should have an answer on the tip of your lips.
An answer to what?

That doesn't mean some loopholes in the Treaties couldn't be used for their advantage.
That's what is being done now, and the premise of my argument...:roll:

The biggest danger from us white-men is that we teach reward a few with much and kill/ignore/persecute the rest.
:roll: What a load of shyte!

Look who I was talking to back then and who I am talking to now. 8O lol
I just can't understand why nobody has not said that at any time in the last half-century. It would have made things so much easier for me and a lot of others. lol
Are you really this dense?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not really. About 20 years ago one of the bands up the coast was selling status cards for $30000. Can't remember the whole deal but basically you got adopted by the band and became a band member which got you a status card. May not have been legal but it worked and I never heard of anyone that bought their card having it revoked by the government. But then I doubt that anyone in Ottawa could find the west coast even with a map, unless they were looking to steal something.

Interesting. First time I hear of this. But I see no difference between them selling a status card and the Federal Government selling citizenship. Nor would I see any difference between them defining the requirements of membership and the Federal Government defining the requirements of citizenship. After all, at least some First Nations that I know of never surrendered their land and so are essentially independent nations in their own right in their eyes.

Going back to the racism thing, I'd met an Innu who'd told me of a European Canadian who'd learnt Cree so well that she then became a Cree teacher to Cree children. The fact that she was so accepted into their community suggests that just as there is a civic patriotism among Canadians that transcends race but that is defined more by a common culture, that among the Cree too there is a sense of cultural identity that likewise transcends race and that is defined more by culture.

I'm not saying there is no racism among First Nations, but just that the claim that the treaties are racist is rubbish. The Treaties were between two nations, just as treaties between Canada and Tanzania for example. No one would dream of declaring Tanzania racist just because most Tanzanians are black. Such a treaty would be between Canada and Tanzania, affecting all citizens of both countries regardless of skin colour. The fact that most Tanzanians are black would be an aside.

The same applies to First Nations Treaties. They are treaties between sovereign nations. The fact that most First Nations are of a particular race (and I do say most and not all since many status Indians are of mixed race, which again undermines the claim of the treaties being racist) is an irrelevant aside. These treaties apply to all Status Indians regardless of race, pure blood, mixed race, or even a black kid adopted by status Indians. These treaties are not limited by race in the least, but apply to all members of the nations involved in the Treaties, just as would be the case in a Treaty between Canada and Tanzania.

The onus is thus on Canuck and others to show that the treaties do not apply to all status Indians but only to those of a particular race.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No, they could go to their reservation, set up their own health system, education system...any system they so choose.

It's nice to see the crown let them keep at least a little land to squat on. After all, the empire needed a little Lebensraum.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yes it is. The crown has given them more than they have given the other 90% of the population.

They had their sovereignty and most of their land ripped away from them, not to mention attempted cultural genocide. But hey, that's a small price to pay.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It never ceases to amaze me that inteligent people become complete babbling idiots when First Nations and First Nation Treaties are put on the table.

Treaties are legally binding agreements between the government of Canada(people) and the respective First Nations period, there should be no argument there. For those people that the Government of Canada and the Crown have delayed and obviscated for the last 300 plus years when it comes to making treaties ( like it is in most of BC) it is well past time to man up and make and pay for those treaties.

As for First Nations people themselves, all that needs to be done is to look at examples like the Osoyoos nation to see what is possible and what can be done. Learn and follow the examples of those that HAVE "thrown of the yoke" and been succesfull in their own right.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Collectively and individually, completely true. I understand the need to point fingers at others. It's far easier than looking in the mirror.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I take as much blame for the plight of my people as anyone that benefits from their exploitation.

And you still haven't shown me how you came to your conclusion, that we get more then the other 90% of the country.

I can and have proven, countless times, that collectively, each Native receives roughly $4500CDN/year, in total Gov't funding. That encompasses all basic services, annuities, stipends and subsidies paid for through the MIA.

What many Canadians fail to realize is, that beyond what you think you receive in Gov't services, you actually have access to and the ability to access, more basic services, and use more all manner of services, then the majority of Natives. Thus receiving services, a far greater value, exceeding $4500CDN/year.

http://www.afn.ca/cmslib/general/FS-TM-e.pdf
http://www.afn.ca/cmslib/general/Federal-Government-Funding-to-First-Nations.pdf
Assembly of First Nations - First Nations: The Facts and the Misconceptions
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/54233-fiscal-imbalance.html

Basically the same thing. Being gullible and letting it continue.
Agreed.

It never ceases to amaze me that inteligent people become complete babbling idiots when First Nations and First Nation Treaties are put on the table.

Treaties are legally binding agreements between the government of Canada(people) and the respective First Nations period, there should be no argument there. For those people that the Government of Canada and the Crown have delayed and obviscated for the last 300 plus years when it comes to making treaties ( like it is in most of BC) it is well past time to man up and make and pay for those treaties.

As for First Nations people themselves, all that needs to be done is to look at examples like the Osoyoos nation to see what is possible and what can be done. Learn and follow the examples of those that HAVE "thrown of the yoke" and been succesfull in their own right.
Bingo!