Federal money-saving ideas.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Whoa there JLM, Canada has no official religion and thats the way it should remain unless you want the religious thought police checking on you daily. That is a slippery slope you do not want to start down.

As for language, sure the British kicked butt on Montcalm, then started the long Candaian tradition of giving the French back power.

Maybe you're right, Nick but our official anthem does have the line "God, keep our land glorious and free", but then again it's not clear which God they are referring to. Kind of sad that lives were lost on the Plains of Abraham, for no lasting reason. Kind of puts a guy against wars. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Christianity wasn't the first religion in Canada nor was it the first European religion practiced in Canada

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
How can the feds save money?

Easy.

Shut down all minstries except one.

End transfers to the provinces.

Sell all assets and put it towards the debt therefore reducing the interest payments.

Stop all tax loop holes including credits for having children.

Charge immigrants money to get in.

Eliminate sales tax and go to a flat tax system.

Introduce a debt repayment tax and eliminate it when it's paid off.

The povinces can end funnding for health care and education.

Sell assets including parks to pay off debt.

Shut down provincial parliments becasue they wouldn't be needed anymore after debt is paid.

“Eliminate sales tax and go to a flat tax system.”

Alberta has a ‘flat tax’ system and it’s killing the lower income earners. The wealthy have got to be in 7th heaven. They pay virtually nothing on their income compared to us lower income earners. 10%

“Stop all tax loop holes including credits for having children..”
Tax credits for having children in sports programs and now they want to give tax credits to anyone in exercise programs?? I speed-walk an hour a day plus ride a stationary bike an hour a day, but since I don’t have a membership to somewhere I’d get nothing?????

“Charge immigrants money to get in.”
And make it so it’s not so easy for these so-called refuges. Especially the ‘boat people’. They need to be sent back where they came from or stopped before they get to Canada shores. They have to apply properly, applications, etc..

“Introduce a debt repayment tax and eliminate it when it's paid off.”
Is that not the same idea as the income tax was to help pay for war, only it never was eliminated?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Alberta has a ‘flat tax’ system and it’s killing the lower income earners. The wealthy have got to be in 7th heaven. They pay virtually nothing on their income compared to us lower income earners. 10%

It will make the poor work harder to get ahead instead of constant handouts.

Tax credits for having children in sports programs and now they want to give tax credits to anyone in exercise programs?? I speed-walk an hour a day plus ride a stationary bike an hour a day, but since I don’t have a membership to somewhere I’d get nothing?????

You should get nothing, no one should get anything but a huge tax cut so they can decide where their money goes.

And make it so it’s not so easy for these so-called refuges. Especially the ‘boat people’. They need to be sent back where they came from or stopped before they get to Canada shores. They have to apply properly, applications, etc..

Yep and they can't get in unless they have lot's of money.

Is that not the same idea as the income tax was to help pay for war, only it never was eliminated?

With the elimination of all other services, it would not take loneg to get rid of our debt, once it's gone we would have a 5-10% flat tax to fund the military and what's left of parliment.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What the hell happened there???
anyway
It will make the poor work harder to get ahead instead of constant handouts.

Except for those who can't work harder. They will get worse and worse until they eventually end up in the hospital which costs us all a huge amount. So the theory falls apart at that point.

You should get nothing, no one should get anything but a huge tax cut so they can decide where their money goes.

But all the money will go to pay for unregulated food shelter and utility costs. Hell rich people are in the same boat having to pay for unregulated military and police costs just to keep the kidnappings in check.

But isn't a refugee by definition someone who is fleeing for their life? Maybe they don't have time to sell the house, transfer the bank accounts and apply for a visa while they work out a few immigration details.

Maybe I am wrong, where is it that you're family immigrated from?

Anyway all the money will go to pay for unregulated food shelter and utility costs. Hell rich people are in the same boat having to pay for unregulated military and police costs just to keep the kidnappings in check. If we do away with an immigration system, does it even matter at that point? There is no one to stop them from coming into the country.

With the elimination of all other services, it would not take loneg to get rid of our debt, once it's gone we would have a 5-10% flat tax to fund the military and what's left of parliment.

Who can afford the military tax when the road tolls are so high? Not to mention the parking lot fees and the security fees to protect from organized crime when you're out and about.

Yeah but we then would live in a place like Somalia. So where is the benefit to that?

Who would build anything that you couldn't maintain due to riots and organized crime? Beyond that, what happens when Organized Crime becomes bigger and better equipped than the military? Raise taxes to expand the military? What happens when the Military just takes over and there is no parliament and the military tells you taxes just went up 1000%? Then you have no money left to decide where it goes.

I am not sure you thought this all out first.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
lol

Wow, you've made heir Harper very proud with that statement.

If only that were true.

Comrad Harper is bribing Canadians with their own money.

Vote for me (lil steve) and I'll give you money to workout and have kids.:roll:

Talk about social engineering.....I thought cons were against that sort of thing.

Except for those who can't work harder. They will get worse and worse until they eventually end up
in the hospital which costs us all a huge amount. So the theory falls apart at that point.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

But all the money will go to pay for unregulated food shelter and utility costs. Hell rich people are in the
same boat having to pay for unregulated military and police costs just to keep the kidnappings in check.

Yeah but we then would live in a place like Somalia. So where is the benefit to that?

Who would build anything that you couldn't maintain due to riots and organized crime? Beyond that,
what happens when Organized crime becomes bigger and better equipped than the military? Raise taxes to expand the military? What happens when the Military just takes over and there is no parliament and the military tells you taxes just went up 1000%? Then you have no money left to decide where it goes.

I am not sure you thought this all out first.

I'll respond when you figure out how to use quotes.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If only that were true.

Comrad Harper is bribing Canadians with their own money.

Vote for me (lil steve) and I'll give you money to workout and have kids.:roll:

Talk about social engineering.....I thought cons were against that sort of thing.

Except for those who can't work harder. They will get worse and worse until they eventually end up
in the hospital which costs us all a huge amount. So the theory falls apart at that point.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

I'll respond when you figure out how to use quotes.

fify.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

Actually your wrong about Alberta's tax rates "killing low income earners".
Because of harmonized(provincial and federal) income taxes across Canada most provinces are roughly the same when it comes to income taxes.
For example:
For low income earners the first $17,000 in income is "free" of all income taxes, in all the provinces.
If you earn $50,000 a year your total income tax hit in Alberta is slightly MORE than if you lived in British Columbia, Nunavut, Ontario or the Yukon.
If you make $100,000(high income) a year you still payer LOWER total income taxes in British Columbia, Nunavut, NWT or the Yukon than you do in Alberta.

Of course the provincial sales taxes (PST's, HST's or provincial sales taxes blended in with a GST) are a whole different can of worms.
Because Alberta has no PST blended in with the GST I would have assumed that total tax rates( GST plus any PST plus income tax) for the low income earner
would be lowest in Alberta.
Trex

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The best thing that could be done for Canada and Canadians is to buy back our debt. If that takes a mass bond sale or W.H.Y. then so be it. Once te burden of debt is off the shoulder a major revamp and reregulation of the monetary system is long over due can take place.

We own a bank. It's damn well time we used it again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The best thing that could be done for Canada and Canadians is to buy back our debt. If that takes a mass bond sale or W.H.Y. then so be it. Once te burden of debt is off the shoulder a major revamp and reregulation of the monetary system is long over due can take place.

We own a bank. It's damn well time we used it again.

Sounds like a hell of an idea.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why Mulroney ever sold off our debt to private banks is just mind boggling. As it stand it is $16000+ per person. I'd buy in today if it went directly to debt and was issued through Bank of Canada.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why Mulroney ever sold off our debt to private banks is just mind boggling. As it stand it is $16000+ per person. I'd buy in today if it went directly to debt and was issued through Bank of Canada.

Yeah, if a guy could get 5% interest on his money.

Oooooooooooops don't know if it would work too well, just checked Bank of Canada bond rates- About 3.3% for 10 year bonds. A young person would do a lot better investing in mutuals like Canadian Natural Resources and old codgers like me don't want to wait 10 years for 3.3%.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah, if a guy could get 5% interest on his money.

Oooooooooooops don't know if it would work too well, just checked Bank of Canada bond rates- About 3.3% for 10 year bonds. A young person would do a lot better investing in mutuals like Canadian Natural Resources and old codgers like me don't want to wait 10 years for 3.3%.
What are we paying for interest on the debt? Less debt more to pay you.

Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm wondering how much of this debt is for infrastructure! Maybe tolls aren't such a bad idea (as long as it all goes to paying down the debt) They would kill two birds with one stone. The people who are using the facilities would be paying for them, while the debt is receding. On second thought how much of our gasoline tax goes to infrastructure or paying down the debt? Kind of think them politicians are lying thieving bastards.