Federal money-saving ideas.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There is no separation of church and state in Canada. In fact, it's the opposite. Our constitution has protections for specific religions in specific regions of the country.

But the separation of church and state doesn't keep religious people out of government and doesn't give the non-religious a monopoly. It keeps the government from forcing religion on our lives. And it's often forgotten that the separation is often meant to protect churches from the state too. It's a part of freedom of religion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Federal money-saving ideas?

How about DRASTICALLY cut down on the number of MP's and Senators?

Y.J. you old curmudgeon, where you been? I was beginning to worry about you. Hope you stick around more as a stabilizing influence on some of the members. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is no separation of church and state in Canada. In fact, it's the opposite. Our constitution has protections for specific religions in specific regions of the country.

But the separation of church and state doesn't keep religious people out of government and doesn't give the non-religious a monopoly. It keeps the government from forcing religion on our lives. And it's often forgotten that the separation is often meant to protect churches from the state too. It's a part of freedom of religion.
We'll I'll be damned. Someone who realizes that the US Cons and CDN Charter are to protect the people from the Government and the Church.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Y.J. you old curmudgeon, where you been? I was beginning to worry about you. Hope you stick around more as a stabilizing influence on some of the members. :smile:

Ron sent me on a vacation earlier. Gave me a chance to join other forums, which I enjoy, but leaves me less time to put in my two-cents' worth here.

One of the forums (American) would be constantly empty if its moderators had the standards of the moderators on this forum. I am learning the most delicious insults, which, alas, I shall never be able use here. On another forum (Canadian) the Yankee-bashing is in full bloom, making some of the posters here quite benign by comparison. Percentage of trolls everywhere is about the same as here.

Been back for almost a month now. Did you just notice? You hurt my feelings.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ron sent me on a vacation earlier. Gave me a chance to join other forums, which I enjoy, but leaves me less time to put in my two-cents' worth here.

One of the forums (American) would be constantly empty if its moderators had the standards of the moderators on this forum. I am learning the most delicious insults, which, alas, I shall never be able use here. On another forum (Canadian) the Yankee-bashing is in full bloom, making some of the posters here quite benign by comparison. Percentage of trolls everywhere is about the same as here.

Been back for almost a month now. Did you just notice? You hurt my feelings.

I did in fact notice you were back early, just hadn't seen you on here for a week or so. I've noticed there are worse than you on here, but strangely they haven't qualified for vacation time yet. :lol:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Here I'm starting a list of ways the Federal Government could save money. Not all of them would be easy to implement. Some would save only a few dollars (but hey, every red cent counts), etc.
Start with doing what Japan does, which is spend tax dollars only on tasks/services etc. from its own citizens.

It's the people's money, so they're the ones who should be getting it back.

It means it would be okay to spend $36 billion on fighter craft as long as Bombardier can build them.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We'll I'll be damned. Someone who realizes that the US Cons and CDN Charter are to protect the people from the Government and the Church.

Canadian constitution doesn't protect you from the government. All legal rights are subject to the Notwithstanding Clause. That includes habeas corpus, fair trial, the presumption of innocence and of course the very first right in the section on legal rights: the right to life. Also subject to the Notwithstanding Clause: freedom of speech, association, assembly, and, pertinent to our discussion, freedom of religion.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is neither a democracy nor of the people and increasingly suspiciously not a republic. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms similarly gives us no rights and no freedoms.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Harper's new money plan

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
People who hold any belief can participate on government but governing is about the nuts and bolts of running a country. I fail to see where religious beliefs have anything to do with it.
You must not remember old Bill Vanerzalm and his attemt to govern BC into his conservative christian view...outlawing abortion, removing sex-ed from schools and banning condom machines in public places.

Now I think about it how the hell did he become a shill for the NDP?

Canadian constitution doesn't protect you from the government. All legal rights are subject to the Notwithstanding Clause. That includes habeas corpus, fair trial, the presumption of innocence and of course the very first right in the section on legal rights: the right to life. Also subject to the Notwithstanding Clause: freedom of speech, association, assembly, and, pertinent to our discussion, freedom of religion.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is neither a democracy nor of the people and increasingly suspiciously not a republic. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms similarly gives us no rights and no freedoms.
I woud have to disagree. Clause 26 clearly states that there are rights and freedoms held outside the charter and that it has no effect on them. This legally needs to be there to maintain the rights guaranteed in the Magna Carta which were guaranteed in perpetuity and unable to be abrogated or removed by and rule or law made afterwards.

Of course the govt did not make it clear what it refers to as they don't want us all using the Magna-Carta against them in such cases as the legality of income tax and some others.

And before any of you start, as long as 'The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby declared to continue and be vested in the Crown' as per clause 9 of the Consolidated Constitution Acts we are still subject to the Magna Carta as issued by the Crown of England in 1225 through use of the perpetuity clause in that document.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You must not remember old Bill Vanerzalm and his attemt to govern BC into his conservative christian view...outlawing abortion, removing sex-ed from schools and banning condom machines in public places.

You might be surprised at how many people there are who think like Vanderzalm. A lot of people don't like "farming out" teaching kids sex to other people. :smile:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Here I'm starting a list of ways the Federal Government could save money. Not all of them would be easy to implement. Some would save only a few dollars (but hey, every red cent counts), etc.

I don't care how crazy your idea is, but please, let's put up a list that could save the government some money. So far I've got the following, but am looking for other ideas to add to it:

Question regarding fiscal policy

Dear candidates,

I would like to know whether you would support any of the following cost-saving measures, even if you must withdraw from your party and stand as an independent MP to do so:

1. End all Federal Government funding for political parties.
2. End the long-gun registry.
3. Abandon plans to purchase the F35s.
4. End all Federal Government subsidies to non-renewable resource industries.
5. Make the Constitutional changes required to reform Official Bilingualism along more efficient lines.
6. Make the Constitutional changes required to eliminate the separate school system.
7. Eliminate all Federal Government subsidies to all non-renewable-resources industries.
8. Prohibit all Federal Government funding for French and English language teaching abroad.
9. Propose a reduction in the number of official languages at the UN so as to reduce its translation and interpretation costs.
10. Shift to a more user-pay taxation system, such as a resource-based tax of some kind, such as a gas tax.
I believe the last point above would be effective in encouraging more responsible use of government resources such as roads and highways so as to reduce government costs in the expansion and maintenance of such infrastructure, by linking taxation more directly to personal choices.
I would also like to know if you can propose other cost-saving measures of your own.

Couple of problems with this. Education is a provincial responsibility.
Our CF18s are due for replacement and F35s appear to be a good choice for replacements.
Most roads other than the TCH are provincial.
Define subsidies to non renewable resources. Many are actually tax credits which is not an expense just means they pay less tax.

I've got a better one here. Cut the Political Party subsidy. Cost is 27 million a year. (source)

That I fully support.
Also fixed election dates that are FIXED. no non confidence votes that over ride a fixed date.
Recall system that works.

I believe Insite saves us money in the long run. More should be done along these lines.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Great idea but lets take it a little further and cut political parties entirely. Then after our independant candidates are elected and arrive in Ottawa they can get together and elect the PM. You know like the system was originally designed to operate.

I like the idea, but with all the sheeple bleeting the party lines, we'd have to be gradual about it. I could see as a first step:

1. Cut party subsidies,
2 Remove party names from the ballots.

Then maybe have Parliament elect its Prime Minister.

I think that might be enough for one mandate. Then next election, replace the party caucuses with a Caucus of the House, and move on from there.

I wouldn't go so far as banning parties though. Let them exist but remove all official recognition with all candidates legally running as independents.

Couple of problems with this. Education is a provincial responsibility..
Abroad?

Not at all. It's Heritage Canada and CIDA via a private contractor, LingoMedia: Lingo Media - Partners
Foreign policy is a Federal responsibilty, and teaching abroad falls under foreign policy, not education.

Most roads other than the TCH are provincial.

So why not fund the TCH via a gas tax?

Define subsidies to non renewable resources. Many are actually tax credits which is not an expense just means they pay less tax.

I got this idea from the CBC the otehr day where Layton proposed cutting 2 billion in subsidies to the tar sands. If it's a credit only they get but not other industries, then it's a subsidy. So you can remove this subsidy either by removing the credit or extending it to all industries. Either way don't give it to the tar sands only.

Our CF18s are due for replacement and F35s appear to be a good choice for replacements

Then how about this:

Pass a bill saying that the moment the following three conditions are met at the same time, then we will purchase the F35s:

1. The Bank rate is dropped to 0%,
2. Inflation is at below 0%, and
3. The debt is paid off.

If we really want those planes, we'll find a way to accomplish this task, guaranteed.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
How can the feds save money?

Easy.

Shut down all minstries except one.

End transfers to the provinces.

Sell all assets and put it towards the debt therefore reducing the interest payments.

Stop all tax loop holes including credits for having children.

Charge immigrants money to get in.

Eliminate sales tax and go to a flat tax system.

Introduce a debt repayment tax and eliminate it when it's paid off.

The povinces can end funnding for health care and education.

Sell assets including parks to pay off debt.

Shut down provincial parliments becasue they wouldn't be needed anymore after debt is paid.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You might be surprised at how many people there are who think like Vanderzalm. A lot of people don't like "farming out" teaching kids sex to other people. :smile:

Under the current system people are allowed to have their children excused from sex-ed classes by request. I personally used the classes as a way to open the discussions with my boys.

The problem Bill had was he proposed it openly based on his conservative christian point of view and that was what killed him, trying to sell it as the right thing per his interpretation of the bible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How can the feds save money?

Easy.

Shut down all minstries except one.

End transfers to the provinces.

Sell all assets and put it towards the debt therefore reducing the interest payments.

Stop all tax loop holes including credits for having children.

Charge immigrants money to get in.

Eliminate sales tax and go to a flat tax system.

Introduce a debt repayment tax and eliminate it when it's paid off.

The povinces can end funnding for health care and education.

Sell assets including parks to pay off debt.

Shut down provincial parliments becasue they wouldn't be needed anymore after debt is paid.

And send all A$$holes up to Ellesmere Island with a box of matches, a pocket knife (one of those handy scout knives with 101 blades on it) and a few packets of seeds.

Under the current system people are allowed to have their children excused from sex-ed classes by request. I personally used the classes as a way to open the discussions with my boys.

The problem Bill had was he proposed it openly based on his conservative christian point of view and that was what killed him, trying to sell it as the right thing per his interpretation of the bible.

Yeah, Bill could be a little religious but there's a lot of those guys out there. To his defense though, it's gone the other way- we used to spend 20 seconds every morning at school reciting the "Lord's Prayer", now they've removed it and the behaviour at the schools is out of control. Perhaps instilling the "fear of God" ain't all that bad. Kept us in line 55 years ago.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yeah, Bill could be a little religious but there's a lot of those guys out there. To his defense though, it's gone the other way- we used to spend 20 seconds every morning at school reciting the "Lord's Prayer", now they've removed it and the behaviour at the schools is out of control. Perhaps instilling the "fear of God" ain't all that bad. Kept us in line 55 years ago.

The problem with that is there are many other religions and many non-religious out there. You cannot impose your beliefs on others no matter how much good you think it would do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem with that is there are many other religions and many non-religious out there. You cannot impose your beliefs on others no matter how much good you think it would do.

You're probably right up to a point. We can tell immigrants that Christianity is the offical religion here. They can practice their religion in their homes and their houses of worship but they have no right to interfere with ours. English is the legitimate official language and they should be encouraged to learn it as part of the agreement to let them in. I'm not sure why French is considered an official language as I thought we got that all sorted out on the Plains of Abraham 252 years ago when Montcalm went down in defeat. Like the kid I guess that when he loses the coin toss he wants to go for 2/3.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You're probably right up to a point. We can tell immigrants that Christianity is the offical religion here. They can practice their religion in their homes and their houses of worship but they have no right to interfere with ours. English is the legitimate official language and they should be encouraged to learn it as part of the agreement to let them in. I'm not sure why French is considered an official language as I thought we got that all sorted out on the Plains of Abraham 252 years ago when Montcalm went down in defeat. Like the kid I guess that when he loses the coin toss he wants to go for 2/3.

Whoa there JLM, Canada has no official religion and thats the way it should remain unless you want the religious thought police checking on you daily. That is a slippery slope you do not want to start down.

As for language, sure the British kicked butt on Montcalm, then started the long Candaian tradition of giving the French back power.