Equalization Payments for 2012

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Lights (white tips - which I hate 'cuz I always burn at least one filter) do. Brown-tipped - no stripe. They all carry the Surgeon General warning ... so they're "imported".
Likely Rainbow Tobacco Company, out of Kahnawake. They use Canadian tobacco for the most part, but sell heavily State side, so they tend to use US packaging. Sounds like you have one of the their DuMaurier knock offs. Not a bad product though.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
does that really matter?

It's great news whenever a region/jurisdiction gets their economy moving and clearly there are times when that lapse in activity needs to be supported, but the fact remains, there are regions that are chronic under performers.

You could fix most of the problem by changing the equalization system to be one where the feds distribute the cash as a long-term low (or no) interest loan... Too many regions consider transfer payments as a part of their revenue stream and have developed a complete dependency on it.

has quebec ever been a contributer?

Equalization payments?

We're such commies.

Speak for your self. I was never asked if I wanted my hard earned money shipped east to support social programs that we in BC do not have ourselves.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I notice none of the three territories are mentioned but due to their relatively low population I would imagine they are huge contributers, being all natural resource based. Anyone have figures on them?

No, they are huge receivers... In 2012-13 the Northwest Territories will receive $1.1 billion, of which $1.07 billion is from the Territorial Formula Financing program. Nunavut will get $1.3 billion, $1.273 being from the Territorial Formula Financing program. Yukon will get $810 million, with $767 million from the Territorial Formula Financing program.

Per capita, northern residents are subsidized the most.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
has quebec ever been a contributer?

I'd imagine that they have been in the (distant) past.

Speak for your self. I was never asked if I wanted my hard earned money shipped east to support social programs that we in BC do not have ourselves.

Funny how that works, eh?

$7/day for daycare in Quebec is entirely a pipe dream in any other province - and here I thought that transfer payments were supposed to keep things relatively 'equal'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, they are huge receivers... In 2012-13 the Northwest Territories will receive $1.1 billion, of which $1.07 billion is from the Territorial Formula Financing program. Nunavut will get $1.3 billion, $1.273 being from the Territorial Formula Financing program. Yukon will get $810 million, with $767 million from the Territorial Formula Financing program.

Per capita, northern residents are subsidized the most.

That's amazing, I know the N.W.T. has a couple of diamond mines.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain they do not keep any of the revenue from it or if they do it is miniscule. Don't forget they are a territory and not a province.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

It's not really amazing...the transfers don't consider diamond mines...they consider the cost for the territorial governments to offer services compared to that offered by provincial governments at similar levels of taxation.

It's far more expensive up North. That's not shocking at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not really amazing...the transfers don't consider diamond mines...they consider the cost for the territorial governments to offer services compared to that offered by provincial governments at similar levels of taxation.

It's far more expensive up North. That's not shocking at all.

To me it is, it works out to $27,000 per man woman and child.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
To me it is, it works out to $27,000 per man woman and child.

Yes that's the cost to be at parity with say BC or NB. Why are you shocked by this? Do you imagine it would cost the same amount to purchase and install a new MRI machine at the IWK in Halifax, as it would at the Baffin hospital?

How about road construction?

Everything up North is expensive, hence the large beneficiaries of Federal transfer money.

Like Captain Morgan said, the population could not be supported in the North without the added dough.

On another note, this is a good example of the public commons financed by tax payers for which the wealthy derive benefits. In JLM's thread about why the rich should be taxed higher...well they benefit more from the $3 billion in federal transfers. How much profit leaves the Territories by corporations who mine the minerals, the oil, and the gas? Could you have workers up there without the government spending tax dollars to keep a minimum level of essential services? If not, then you can't extract the commodities.

The GDP of NWT is about $76000 per capita, and it requires about a third as much from the Federal transfers to fund the necessary services to keep people living there.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
On another note, this is a good example of the public commons financed by tax payers for which the wealthy derive benefits. In JLM's thread about why the rich should be taxed higher...well they benefit more from the $3 billion in federal transfers. How much profit leaves the Territories by corporations who mine the minerals, the oil, and the gas? Could you have workers up there without the government spending tax dollars to keep a minimum level of essential services? If not, then you can't extract the commodities.

Just don't confuse "the wealthy" with "corporations". My pension plans has money invested in companies with operations in the north. Ultimately, there is only one taxpayer. The real issue is whether (or how much of) the wealth is leaving the country. If company XYZ is operating in the north and the government is subsidizing it's operations indirectly through varies transfer payment schemes, does the value the company brings to the community offset the wealth it takes out. The key is to maintain balance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes that's the cost to be at parity with say BC or NB. Why are you shocked by this? Do you imagine it would cost the same amount to purchase and install a new MRI machine at the IWK in Halifax, as it would at the Baffin hospital?

How about road construction?

Everything up North is expensive, hence the large beneficiaries of Federal transfer money.

Like Captain Morgan said, the population could not be supported in the North without the added dough.

The GDP of NWT is about $76000 per capita, and it requires about a third as much from the Federal transfers to fund the necessary services to keep people living there.

While it's not a subject that I am particularly knowledgable about, I do know in other jurisdictions road construction for resource roads, costs are partly borne by the industry, often in a 50/50 partnership with Gov't. What we do need is a bigger population up north (where apparently there is lots of work) so maybe an incentive is needed to get able bodied welfare recipients from the south to get up there and start contributing.