Equalization Payments for 2012

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Does that really matter?

It's great news whenever a region/jurisdiction gets their economy moving and clearly there are times when that lapse in activity needs to be supported, but the fact remains, there are regions that are chronic under performers.

You could fix most of the problem by changing the equalization system to be one where the Feds distribute the cash as a long-term low (or no) interest loan... Too many regions consider transfer payments as a part of their revenue stream and have developed a complete dependency on it.

Of course you're right. The entire scheme is convoluted. It's just a merry go round of money, it does nothing to affect real change in any area. It's a short term solution to a long term problem. And, in the interests of full disclosure, I don't actually blame anyone for being fed up with the status quo. It's actually understandable.

Having said that of course I will continue to mock, ridicule and deride anyone who has so much of a chip on their shoulder that it narrows their view to the extent of creating a bigoted attitude towards their fellow Canadians.

Now party starts at eight, don't be late and do not forget the party mix. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's true, and our EI system is likewise aimed at paying people to stay home, instead of moving to where there are jobs waiting.

E.I. or not can people who are unemployed realistically afford to move to another location on the chance of finding a job. And then there is the matter of choosing between moving H.H. effects or supporting two homes. It would work well enough for single people, but for families it might be quite impractical. I know........... I moved a lot during my working career.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
EI or not, can anyone afford to walk away from the mortgage they pay on a boomtown-priced house that is now almost worthless since the mines closed? Ask Elliot Lake....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
EI or not, can anyone afford to walk away from the mortgage they pay on a boomtown-priced house that is now almost worthless since the mines closed? Ask Elliot Lake....

There is one valid reason why a person is absolutely f*****g crazy to take on a mortgage with 0 or 5% down. :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Now party starts at eight, don't be late and do not forget the party mix. :)

I'm sooo excited - I can hardly wait!

I'll take your directions East to the big lake and look for the party... Any other travel tips like "it's about 3 beers North on Hwy 12 and 1/12 beers East once you see the barking dog".

I won't forget the party-mix, I'll pick it up at Costco just before I get the hookers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm sooo excited - I can hardly wait!

I'll take your directions East to the big lake and look for the party... Any other travel tips like "it's about 3 beers North on Hwy 12 and 1/12 beers East once you see the barking dog".

No, other than to say that if you're navigating by beers, Dude pull over, we'll come get ya, you shouldn't be driving. ;)

I won't forget the party-mix, I'll pick it up at Costco just before I get the hookers.

Awesome, although co-ordinate with Durka on the hookers as he mentioned them earlier. After all, you wouldn't want to bring the same party favours as another guest, that would be quite the faux pas.

I'd love to burn your money. :D

It is a lot of fun.

The damn tent rental guys are late. But the beer is cold and the hot tub hot!

Party on!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Got my cigarette lighter, now where did I put my smokes?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
--------------------
Well, we can sure see who the losers are.
Not too many winners to carry all the losers!!

Maybe it's time some of the "losers" (individually speaking anyway) tried "carrying" themselves.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No, other than to say that if you're navigating by beers, Dude pull over, we'll come get ya, you shouldn't be driving. ;)

I was planning on getting one of the hookers to do the actual driving.

Awesome, although co-ordinate with Durka on the hookers as he mentioned them earlier. After all, you wouldn't want to bring the same party favours as another guest, that would be quite the faux pas.

Good point. Maybe he has a frequent 'flyer' card too... Always got to keep your eyes open for a deal ya know.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Twenty Bucks? Brand names or bagged?
Bagged. Duty free Blue Ribbon, with a nice consistency, are $10. I like GoldLeaf myself, at bagged, at $20. Brand names are a little more, ranging between $30 to $40/carton. Or $27 to $37/bag.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good point. I won't even go to the res and use my status card to pick them up for $20 a carton. We can just buy them for $80 a carton at the corner store.

Or you could and just give the guy a $60 tip. The important part is, spend the money.

I was planning on getting one of the hookers to do the actual driving.

Good foresight, clever planning. We could use a guy like you on the party planning side of things.

Good point. Maybe he has a frequent 'flyer' card too... Always got to keep your eyes open for a deal ya know.

Deals, pffft. Welcome to Ontario. ;)