End the Lockdown

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The revolt against lockdown

More and more people are standing up for their communities and liberties.

TOM SLATER
DEPUTY EDITOR
2nd October 2020
Spiked

Marseille, Madrid and Middlesbrough, three places that aren’t often uttered in the same breath, have become the centres of a nascent revolt against lockdown.

Marseille mayor Michèle Rubirola said she was ‘astonished and angry’ after all bars and restaurants were ordered to close last week in France’s second city, following a nationwide rise in cases. (Milder restrictions were imposed in Paris and elsewhere.) ‘Marseille town hall was not consulted. Nothing in the health situation justifies these announcements’, she tweeted. ‘I won’t allow the people of Marseille to become the victims of political decisions that no one understands.’

Meanwhile, protests have raged again in Madrid, following the imposition of localised measures on particular districts that protesters say are punishing the poor. Comments made by Isabel Díaz Ayuso, the president of the Madrid region, suggesting ‘the way of life of immigrants’ was partly to blame for the rises in cases, have also sparked a fierce backlash.

A manifesto signed by various neighbourhood groups denounces the new measures as racist and classist, arguing that they single out the ‘individual behaviours’ of poorer residents for scorn when in all neighbourhoods rules are being broken. It demands that the government focus on healthcare, contact tracing and overcrowding in schools and public transport.

The agitation with government diktat is even starting to flare up in supposedly compliant Britain. From Saturday it will be illegal for nearly five million people in the north-east and north-west of England to meet people from other households indoors, including in pubs, bars and restaurants. Similar rules have already come into force in other parts of the north-east.

The mayor of Middlesbrough, however, is having none of it. Andy Preston said yesterday that the new restrictions are based on ‘factual inaccuracies and a monstrous and frightening lack of communication’. He isn’t against additional measures per se – he had suggested a ban on households mixing in their own homes – but argues that the Westminster-imposed rules are excessive and damaging to the economy. ‘As things stand, we defy the government and we do not accept these measures’, he said.

While what this means in practice remains unclear – he has since said people should abide by the law – the anger with harsh measures being imposed on already struggling communities is palpable. Not least because the local measures being imposed, in some cases with literally five minutes’ notice, seem increasingly irrational, knee-jerk and ineffective.

Around a quarter of English people are currently under enhanced Covid restrictions. But analysis published by the Guardian this week shows that Covid cases have doubled under most of the local lockdowns. As a Telegraph analysis revealed last week, only one place, Luton, has emerged out the other side of local lockdown. And case numbers are already heading in the wrong direction there, too.

None of these politicians or protesters are blasé about the threat posed by the virus. But even those who will have at first supported tough measures to tackle this pandemic are starting to bristle at neverending, illiberal, job-killing restrictions that stubbornly refuse to achieve what they set out to do, and whose failures are simply blamed on the alleged, cussed non-compliance of the people suffering under them.

On the national level, the UK government also seems to be making it up as it goes along. Professor Mark Woolhouse, a member of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M), told the Telegraph this week that the ‘rule of six’ and the 10pm curfew had no basis in science. Indeed, according to Public Health England, pubs and restaurants were responsible for less than three per cent of investigated incidents in the week before the curfew was announced.

No wonder so many people are starting to question whether governments, drunk on draconian powers, have any idea what they’re doing. British public opinion appears still to be firmly behind tough restrictions, going by the polls. But as Joanna Williams notes in the Spectator, voters’ actions tell a very different story. Meanwhile, other polls suggest that while voters still prioritise health over the economy, the gap between the two has halved since April.

A revolt against lockdown is long overdue. Whatever one’s view on the justifications for the original lockdown, any sane person must recognise that we cannot remain under such punitive restrictions indefinitely. We need to keep Covid under control. But we also need jobs, time with our families, human contact and control over our own lives. Here’s hoping more people push back against this dreadful New Normal.

Tom Slater is deputy editor at spiked. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Slater_

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/10/02/the-revolt-against-lockdown/

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yes I find it funny that people think the mask protects them .

I rolled up onto the toll booth on I35 south in Oklahoma..

The lady was wearing a mask..

No gloves, she was handling cash, robbing her face, adjusting her mask..

I asked her, what good is the mask to you..

She replied; I have lots of sanitary lotion..

She must have a pool full hidden out back or something.. FAIL

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I rolled up onto the toll booth on I35 south in Oklahoma..
The lady was wearing a mask..
No gloves, she was handling cash, robbing her face, adjusting her mask..
I asked her, what good is the mask to you..
She replied; I have lots of sanitary lotion..
She must have a pool full hidden out back or something.. FAIL
Even for gloves to be effective she would have to change them between customers to be effective. And if she was to touch her face with a glove, might as well touch it bare handed.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
While we are at it, who needs seatbelts or car insurance? It's another example of crime against humanity. We should also be able to expose ourselves to Women in public. And why is the Government saying I cant get behind the wheel after 14 beers? It violates my pursuit of happiness. Everyone else be damned. And if I want to knowingly have sex with Women while I am HIV positive, I should be able to do that without disclosing my position!

Sure, let's just all go for it. Might as well as there are just way too many of your kind around who could easily be convinced with enough bull shit to believe that the sky is falling down. F'n losers like you are everywhere. Go away.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
New cases of COVID in the United Kingdom:
Sunday: 3,004
Monday: 3,050
Tuesday: 3,095
Wednesday: 3,286
Thursday: 3,354
Friday: 3,598
Saturday: 3,761

Go away with your bull shit fabricated Convid 19 numbers and cases, covidiot. Only brainless twits still will believe this farce of a lie. Btw, how did you get so far in life with so little? Just curious. LOL.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Nope.
The coronavirus test and trace system was condemned as “barely functional” today as its tsar admitted that demand was up to four times capacity, while 90% of tests were failing to hit the 24-hour turnaround target.

The Guardian has seen documents showing tracers taking up to two weeks to contact friends, relatives and workmates of people diagnosed with Covid-19 – the entire length of the self-isolation period.
But amid growing anger and lengthening queues at testing centres, Dido Harding, head of the £10bn NHS test-and-trace programme designed to prevent a second wave of Covid-19, told MPs on Thursday: “I strongly refute that the system is failing.”
It came as sources said Leeds and Lancashire were expected to face enhanced lockdown measures, bringing the number of people subject to restrictions to more than 11 million, including nearly 2 million in north-east England. Official figures confirmed a 75% increase in positive weekly cases across England last week.

Just 1.9% of people using a home test kit in England got their results within 24 hours in the week to 9 September, according to official figures – the lowest percentage since test and trace was launched in May. Results from 33.3% of in-person tests were turned around within 24 hours, down from 66.5% the previous week, creating knock-on delays for contacts required to self-isolate.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/covid-19-uk-test-and-trace-barely-functional-as-nearly-10-million-face-lockdown
Looks like there may be far more COVID cases than reported, as there is a backlog in test results. This will not end well.

You are one big stunned and silly azz covidiot. This will never end until covidiots like you start to smarten up and stop believing the Convid 19 lies. I bet that in the last election you voted for comrade Turdeau, right?

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Meanwhile in Canada...
TORONTO -- As long lines are being reported at COVID-19 testing centres across the country, the federal government pledged billions in funding to address the issue and improve other pandemic measures.
Under the $19-billion “Safe Restart Agreement” announced on Wednesday, the money will be used to increase COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, improve the capacity of provincial health care systems, and help with restarting essential services such as public transit, among several other benefits.
The announcement comes as testing centres across the country are reporting excessively long lines, due in part to the return of school classes. Federal public health officials told The Canadians Press on Tuesday that they saw a record demand at testing sites over the weekend, leading to some people being turned away.
More testing = more cases detected and logged.
That's fantastic.

Only dumb ass stupid morons get themselves tested and will stand in a long line for hours. The stupidity of the buffoons in this country is spreading faster than the virus itself. Just look at all the buffoons who just love wearing a face diaper? They wear a mask in places where do not need or have too. Some are so stupid that they even wear a mask in their cars with the windows up. Talk about one sick bunch of pathetic paranoid dummies. This forum is full of them. Deplorable.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Over the past 3 months, the positive test rate was under 3%. That much less than the US (8%), and far lower than Brazil and Mexico (over 25%). There was no need to test as much as America. However, testing will be ramped up, as the Government made the idiotic decision to open schools and colleges, without the proper social distancing, and protective gear.

there is a 99% recovery from all seasonal flu viruses like this Convid 19 one. This happens every year where people get sick from some virus and some die. But you are probably to stunned to be able to figure that one out for yourself. Your welcome. No problem at all. LOL.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
It starts. The public are starting to rise up against this tyranny...

MSM Disgrace - No Hope! Not 1 Positive Article From Trafalgar Square, London 19th Sept
Free speech, balance and fairness is a thing of the past right? What a shame it has to be like this...

It's got to this point because of the hundreds of thousands of no minds who still believe the lies of this Convid 19 from their political comrade masters, the lying Pravda media, lying hospital administrators, and those so called lying health experts. When they start to ask questions and challenge the lies and start doing their own research they then just may wake the F up finally. Thank gawd that there are plenty of people who are starting to say enough already. End this bull shit now. Works for me!!!

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
If Biden wins we are ALL back in Lockdown and in a Great Depression... because Canada will have to follow the USA's lead.
So many people will loose their homes and businesses.. it will take years to recover.

Chaos and mayhem will happen if Biden wins alright. Humanity's only hope is Trump. Sadly, there are way too many buffoons out there who want Biden to ruin and wreck their already useless lives forever. Those buffoons want to try a bit of communism in their useless lives. They ain't going to like it, pardner. Those fools really do need an IQ check up. They have become nuts in the head. Aholes.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
“STOP!” National Disgrace - Unedited 🎤 📺 It’s Come To This...

Disgraceful and appalling...the unedited video with audio.