Eight-year-old shoots self with Uzi, dies

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I've seen gun recoil break kids' noses. Target practice was fun as a kid, and we enjoyed heading down along the treeline and taking shots at targets the parents would put up for us. I get why these people would let kids fire guns at gun shows. The key is though, I, with my little experience, have seen recoil break kids' noses, so I, with little experience, know that IF you are going to let a kid you don't know fire a gun, they should be well supervised, and have only one bullet in the gun. Once it's kicked back, it's because the bullet is gone. So what if they break a nose or smash themselves in the eye. So what if they clench the trigger as it swings back? The bullet is gone, it's done, and they aren't going to shoot themselves in the head.

Sorry, but, you won't convince me that this is in any way a logical form of beneficial fun for the kids.

You're right Karrie, gun control is key and in the U.S. guns are all over the place, it's part of the culture which says something about certain yanks. gun lovers will always froth at the month when government wants to regulate firearms but it saves lives and prevents tragedies like this from happening. You can't blame the gun but you can blame policies that allows every yahoo to own a gun.

I think I am the only gun owner who feels this way because I have yet to meet one who agrees with me and I see these guys every week at the club.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Karrie, I can see no benefit to any form of sports , or pools.

99.99% of kids who fire guns, even automatic weapons, are fine.

This isn't some form of inevitable conclusion to giving a kid a gun. It is a freak chance.You spend an equal amount of time with a kid using a gun under trained supervision or riding in a vehicle, he is still more likely to die in the vehicle.

The same amount of time spent around a pool versus using a gun under supervision, still more likely to die in a pool.

And lets be realistic here, Guns are not designed to kill someone firing them. In fact they are specifically designed NOT to harm the person firing them.

So the "Guns are designed to kill" stuff is bunk. They are designed to kill the person you are firing at, not the person firing it.

9 year olds use power tools (under supervision as well), they play violent sports, the climb trees, swim in pools and even learn to build fires.

all of those things are more dangerous. And none of them are more or less useful than learning to use a gun at a firing range, under the supervision of an instructor.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You're right Karrie, gun control is key and in the U.S. guns are all over the place, it's part of the culture which says something about certain yanks. gun lovers will always froth at the month when government wants to regulate firearms but it saves lives and prevents tragedies like this from happening. You can't blame the gun but you can blame policies that allows every yahoo to own a gun.

I think I am the only gun owner who feels this way because I have yet to meet one who agrees with me and I see these guys every week at the club.

Banning sports, swimming pools and having children in a car would save vastly more lives.

Now the car thing might cause problems, so you can argue that one.

But what use do sports and pools have? All sports seem to do is prevent kids from being educated and doing something useful with their life (and sorry, but sports addiction is a drain on society as bad or worse than drugs or alcohol)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I can see all sorts of social, physical, and emotional benefits to sports and pools. I can also spout off dozens of regulations that have been enacted regarding sports and pools, to mitigate the risk, that one could consider very much akin to not handing an 8 year old kid a damn uzi.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's a sad reflection on the individuals that are trying to trivialize the death of a child from a deadly weapon. Something that is designed to do one thing and one thing only, to kill. In the case of a SMG, to kill other humans only. Yes, comparing the death of this child to accidental deaths through drowning in a pool, or an automobile accident is trivializing this childs death and the criminal STUPIDITY of the adults involved.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Banning sports, swimming pools and having children in a car would save vastly more lives.

But what use do sports and pools have? All sports seem to do is prevent kids from being educated and doing something useful with their life (and sorry, but sports addiction is a drain on society as bad or worse than drugs or alcohol)

Show me where I used the word ban.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Sports = exercise = physical fitness, coordination, ability to work cooperatively as a team to accomplish a goal, lots of things.

You forgot that movement helps clean toxins from the body. It helps to keep the mind clear and able to focus.

Sedentary lifestyle is extrodinarily bad for your mental health as well as allowing all sorts of harmful toxins to just sit and cause disease.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

99.99% of kids who fire guns, even automatic weapons, are fine.

And 103.87% of all statistics are made up on the spot to suit a paticular agenda.

You can see no benifit of any kind in regards to sports or pools..... but 99.99% of kids who shoot guns are just super?

:roll: Ok there.

This isn't some form of inevitable conclusion to giving a kid a gun. It is a freak chance.You spend an equal amount of time with a kid using a gun under trained supervision or riding in a vehicle, he is still more likely to die in the vehicle.

Prove it. I've been driving for 9 years.... no accidents, no deaths.

The same amount of time spent around a pool versus using a gun under supervision, still more likely to die in a pool.

Prove it.... I've had a pool everyday since 1993 and have been swimming since I was 3 years old..... I haven't drowned/died yet. Nobody I know of through my life has drowned yet... be that in a pool, the beach, a lake or a friggin bathtub in 2" of water.

And lets be realistic here, Guns are not designed to kill someone firing them. In fact they are specifically designed NOT to harm the person firing them.

Yeah, let's get realistic shall we..... Guns are designed to kill anything in front of them.... if you have no control over where that firearm is pointing and you haul on that trigger, then whatever is in front of that firearm will be hit..... so in this case, the firearm killed the person holding/operating the firearm..... it directly did exactly what it was designed to do..... it fired, kicked back, continued to fire, kicked back, continued to fire until the person holding it got a round in the head and then died.... then probably dropped the firearm due to reflex and then stopped firing..... the firearm did exactly what it was deisgned to do.

So the "Guns are designed to kill" stuff is bunk. They are designed to kill the person you are firing at, not the person firing it.

Do you have a problem reading and understanding things or do you just enjoy throwing sh*t into what was said just to simply make yourself sound foolish.

"Guns are Designed to Kill" is no damn different then "They are Designed to Kill the Person You are Firing At" .............. AKA: GUNS ARE DESIGNED TO KILL.... it doesn't matter if it's the shooter or the target. They are designed to fire a projectile towards a target, penitrate that target and cause massive damage, to the point of death..... Designed to Kill.

They sure as hell ain't designed for hair cuts.

And they are very well indeed designed to kill the person firing it.... or else we wouldn't be hearing of suicides by gun now would we? If they wern't designed to kill the person firing the weapon, then there wouldn't be a way to shoot yourself with it while holding it now would there?

Yeah, I thought not.

9 year olds use power tools (under supervision as well), they play violent sports, the climb trees, swim in pools and even learn to build fires.

all of those things are more dangerous. And none of them are more or less useful than learning to use a gun at a firing range, under the supervision of an instructor.

Power Tools are exactly that.... tools. Tools for construction and building things.... perhaps even a shelter.

All the sports I see kids of that age playing are not violent and have many more stricter rules applied for their safety compared to professional sports, so that isn't even an issue. Sports teach teamwork, keeps them active and in good shape.

Climbing Trees is useless? Get chased by an animal in the forest and see how usefull it is. How about a flood or some other natural disaster where you may require some climbing in order to survive?

Swimming in Pools is useless? Sure.... go on a boat someday and fall into the water.... don't know how to swim? Ah... too bad.....

Building Fires is useless? Do I even need to go there?

Now you're gonna sit there and tell us that none of those things are anymore useful then learning to shoot a firearm? What use is that going to meet other then the skill to kill / take the life of something?

Unless you plan on going off to war or becoming a police officer, you will never need the training of a firearm for typical everyday life.... unless you'd like to go shooting some class mates in school or co-workers who crossed you.

Hunting?

Get a Compound Bow.... at least if you screw up with one of those, there's no additional rounds to go off and kill everybody else around you.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

You're using a lot of piss poor examples m'dear..... swimming pools and sports at the very least keep people healthy and fit, intune with their bodies and minds. One can still get plenty of education and participate in sports activities, so the black and white mentality doesn't work here either.

But hey.... sports, exercise and staying active apparently is a drain on society.

Guess what? So is shooting and killing people with firearms. They put a drain on the hospitals, medical professionals, funerals, the police force, the families of those who died, the legal system.... not to mention the people who died from the firearms to begin with.... removing a human from society by force or accident with a firearm is still a drain.

But I suppose kids can still stay active with firearms..... much more then sports.... all one has to do is tell them they're gonna die if they don't start running, and then start shooting at them.... sure that'll keep them active for a short period of time. :roll:

Jezuz

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

And to be clear, I never said kids shouldn't have access to target practice. If you'd like to, re-read. I said 8 yr old kids shouldn't be firing Uzis. Single shot weapons, fine... fire away. Target practice is fine in my books if supervised, and done RATIONALLY, wisely, and not by gun nut morons who hand a submachine gun to an 8 year old.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
And to be clear, I never said kids shouldn't have access to target practice. If you'd like to, re-read. I said 8 yr old kids shouldn't be firing Uzis. Single shot weapons, fine... fire away. Target practice is fine in my books if supervised, and done RATIONALLY, wisely, and not by gun nut morons who hand a submachine gun to an 8 year old.

Agreed.

Introduce them to BB guns, then pellet, then if and when they're ready and know how to not shoot themselves in the face, train them on a .22 to get used to the increase of kick..... then up and up when it is safe to do so.

I have no clue what was in their head when they gave the kid an Uzi. At age 8 I could barely pickup my dad's old Bren Gun, let alone fathom controlling the damn thing as it fired...... bigger gun, but the principle is the same.... don't hand something over to a kid they can't handle.

Going back to the vehicle examples, it'd be no different then taking a kid straight off a tricycle and plopping him on a Chopper, expecting that he can handle the thing...... it's too big, too powerful and usually too intemidating for a kid of that age to have confidence in trying to control it.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The 8 year old boy was apparently very familiar with firing guns (handguns and rifles), this was his first step up to an automatic weapon though. That said, it is one of the lighter automatic weapons as it has very little recoil.

The father wasn't some "gun loving hick" but a head doctor at a local hospital. Quite frankly, this was just a freak accident, up there in terms of likelyhood as being struck by lightning while walking in the rain.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The 8 year old boy was apparently very familiar with firing guns (handguns and rifles), this was his first step up to an automatic weapon though. That said, it is one of the lighter automatic weapons as it has very little recoil.

The father wasn't some "gun loving hick" but a head doctor at a local hospital. Quite frankly, this was just a freak accident, up there in terms of likelyhood as being struck by lightning while walking in the rain.

It was a politically incorrect accident......and so much worse for that reason.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Praxius said

And once again.... statistical garbage..... pools are commonly used more often per day then firearms, therefore the chances increase statistically..... that doesn't mean the statistic is accurate for the discussion, let alone any decent argument

No Praxius.....there are several times more firearms than swimming pools in the USA........about one per person. Therefore, statistically, guns are much safer than pools, no matter how you cut it.

I lived in a family swimming in guns :).............we used them a lot.........I was president of a gun club.........trainer for an armoured car company..........gun and hunting safety instructor......and I know no person that has ever been injured accidentally with a firearm.....not one.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Praxius said

No Praxius.....there are several times more firearms than swimming pools in the USA........about one per person. Therefore, statistically, guns are much safer than pools, no matter how you cut it.

I lived in a family swimming in guns :).............we used them a lot.........I was president of a gun club.........trainer for an armoured car company..........gun and hunting safety instructor......and I know no person that has ever been injured accidentally with a firearm.....not one.

I do.

When I was a kid, growing up in a village about 20 miles east of where you sit, the father of a friend was accidentally shot in the leg, while driving his truck on his way to hunt deer....by an off-duty mountie, who was going hunting with him. It was one of those stupid incidents that should never have happened. He limped for the rest of his life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know people who've had near misses, injuries, and even deaths due to firearm accidents.

The instant you pretend they're safe and fit for small kids, is the instant you end up with an accident... just like forgetting the pool gate open and your baby crawling off to its death. Complacency kills. uzis are no exception just because you want guns to be unregulated.