Eight-year-old shoots self with Uzi, dies

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
BTW been reading Peter Worthington's biography.......he was raised on army bases.....where the troops used to regularly him fire the Vickers MGs.....when he was four.

and back then beating your child with a belt/stick/whatever was handy and/or back handing them was A-OK.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Once again, I am NOT advocating handing SMGs to 8 year old kids.....just pointing out that accidental death of a child by firearm is a rare occurance, even in Gun Land.

and this was an "accidental" death that was fully preventable if the adults had used even the minutest amount of common sense.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How will the moron that handed the kid an Uzi explain his actions to the parents? Can there be any excuse for this?

Colpy

I got a 22 rifle on my thirteenth birthday. I don't think any eight year old can be in charge of even a 22.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
and this was an "accidental" death that was fully preventable if the adults had used even the minutest amount of common sense.

I'm with Gerry on this one.

But, you can't fix stupid, and that's what we have in this situation.

I was introduced to .22 cal. rifles at an early age, but it was one on one, with ex-army instructors, and they saw to it the rifles were pointed down range at all times. You messed up once and you were out of the program. It was very strict, and well supervised.

This poor little guy didn't have much of a chance.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Reality check!

In 2000, chidren (ages 0 to eighteen in the USA died accidentally from the following cases:

6,466 in motor vehicle accidents.....which includes ATVs, etc....

1946 in fires

1236 drownings, of which 40% happened in pools!!!!! That is almost 500 pool drownings.

842 were accidentally suffocated

174 were accidentally shot to death.

An American child is 3x more apt to drown in a pool than to be shot dead accidentally. Believe me, there are one hell of a lot more guns than pools in the USA......which makes pools a lot more dangerous, for accidental death.

Colpy, I don't believe people give a rats ass about pools.... pools are usually used on an everyday basis, therefore the chances of death increase...... if kids were given firearms to accidentally blow brain chunks all over the walls on a daily basis as using the pool, then you'd see those number rise a hell of a lot more.

The issue isn't about pools or cars or any other method you wish to attempt to trivialize this situation.

The issue is about these inbred retards handing an 8 year old kid a sub-machine gun to fire on his own. Any moron who's ever handled a firearm would or should know that a kid of that age and of that size/strength will not have the ability to control that firearm after the first shot...... it will gain momentum upward for every shot fired, and if the kid doesn't have control over the firearm, it's gonna spin upward and do exactly what just happened.

You can list off all the damn statistical numbers you want.... it does nothing for correcting the problem so this doesn't happen again.....

174 accidentally shot are 174 too many that all of them probably could have been prevented if those owning those firearms had a damn brain between them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What kind of an idiot thinks that an 8 year old is strong enough to handle an UZI?

Jeezus, some people are stupid.

And with regards to pools, statistics do show that backyard pools kill more kids than guns. Stupid people are stupid people, whether it's a chainsaw, or a gun, or an iron.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Colpy, I don't believe people give a rats ass about pools.... pools are usually used on an everyday basis, therefore the chances of death increase...... if kids were given firearms to accidentally blow brain chunks all over the walls on a daily basis as using the pool, then you'd see those number rise a hell of a lot more.

The issue isn't about pools or cars or any other method you wish to attempt to trivialize this situation.

The issue is about these inbred retards handing an 8 year old kid a sub-machine gun to fire on his own. Any moron who's ever handled a firearm would or should know that a kid of that age and of that size/strength will not have the ability to control that firearm after the first shot...... it will gain momentum upward for every shot fired, and if the kid doesn't have control over the firearm, it's gonna spin upward and do exactly what just happened.

You can list off all the damn statistical numbers you want.... it does nothing for correcting the problem so this doesn't happen again.....

174 accidentally shot are 174 too many that all of them probably could have been prevented if those owning those firearms had a damn brain between them.

Can you be any lower than a moron?
And this isn't rocket science.
What more could possibly said about this?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well, maybe.

Maybe? It is.

I can't see handing a SMG to an 8 year old kid, that is not what I'm saying.

but the accident was a freakish occurance......I was shooting (.22s) long before I was eight.....

Freakish occurance? are you fk'n kidding me? This firearm wasn't a .22 rifle or pistol, as I shot those as a kid as well..... those things have kick to them, you should be fully aware of this. A .22 has a little poof to your shoulder when you fire it..... a little more of a kick then a pellet gun..... and 8 year old could handle that at least.

But this situation sure as hell wasn't freakish..... hell at 8 years of age, I had a hard time controlling the lawn mower, screw handing me an Uzi SMG.....

The kid had no experience in this weapon, he clearly wasn't taught properly, the instructors clearly didn't help him with control of the firearm and just let him have the damn thing at his disposal..... freakish indeed..... this was completely predictable..... I knew the outcome of how this all occured before I read beyond the first line.

Strange....now the parents will probably sue everyone else......

And these things always wind up as "See.....you shouldn't have guns anywhere near kids"

Just thought I'd head that off at the pass.

BTW been reading Peter Worthington's biography.......he was raised on army bases.....where the troops used to regularly him fire the Vickers MGs.....when he was four.

Whoopie Doo... a Vickers is commonly mounted on a tripod..... I wonder how many times they let the 4 year old Peter shoot form the hip with one of those? Oh yeah.... probably NEVER! Everybody around him would have been dead.

This kid was given a firearm that isn't balanced or stabalized on some form of structure for control, other then the kids noodle arms and hands..... neither situation relates to one another.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Can you be any lower than a moron?
And this isn't rocket science.
What more could possibly said about this?

Care to elaborate before I unleash the Ultamate Warrior all over your ass?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I think you need to do a reality check. No one is talking about children and accidental gun deaths. We're talking about the absurdity of what happened to THIS CHILD, and no matter how much more dangerous pools are than guns (because most homes don't have uzis in them), THIS was beyond moronic Colpy.

I would disagree, when I was 9 I fired what I now realise was an AK at hay bail targets, though I now realise it was probably an illegal weapon (it might have just been a rifle with a different stock and my memory is playing tricks). I also used to drive a beat up pick up truck through the fields. Both times my dad was there mind you.

And Colpy brings up a valid point.

This isn't like "A kid played with a gun and then died with a 100% kill rate". Do you have any idea how many kids at gun shows fire guns under the eyes of an instructor?

There were probably three of four hundred kids that show alone. Let alone the hundreds of other shows going on at any one time.

Parents constantly expose kids to risk to let them have fun. Do you have any idea how many kids die in sports? Whiping hard lumps at each other at 75mph and cracking skulls? Slamming into each other playing Rugby and having kids land on their neck wrong? Or hockey, got they have BLADES ON THEIR FEET AND THEY FIGHT.

And do any, ANY of those thing really do anything for the kids other than give them some fun? No, parents let their kids risk death to play sports, and kids do die, often.

Even more die on the ride too and from.

And as Colpy pointed out, many, MANY kids drown in pools. To the point that owning a pool does horrors to your insurance because despite all the fun they are, they are child drowning magnets.

But (some) parents still let their kids play in pools.

Colpy is pointing out Logic, everyone else is (understandabley) seeing a report of a dead kid and panicking.

Sit rationally and realize more kids die from being driven to the gun show (or any hobby) than die at the gun show firing guns with a safe instructor.

There is no such thing as perfect safety, sorry.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I still would like an answer as to why anyone (inbred retarts as praxius suggests included)needs an Uzi in the first place, especially a loaded one???

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I still would like an answer as to why anyone (inbred retarts as praxius suggests included)needs an Uzi in the first place, especially a loaded one???

Got bux. Think you need more protection. Easily attainable. Or just bragging rights.
Go fig!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How does a parent react to this? There would have to be a lot of soul searching after that.

I saw an interview with the dad and I have never seen someone so apparently unphased. I could be wrong but it was strange...

"He was a great skier...a budding outdoorsman... he always had some sort of project going... etc."

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I would disagree, when I was 9 I fired what I now realise was an AK at hay bail targets, though I now realise it was probably an illegal weapon (it might have just been a rifle with a different stock and my memory is playing tricks). I also used to drive a beat up pick up truck through the fields. Both times my dad was there mind you.

Yeah and many of my friend's parents drove us around while not wearing seatbelts..... does it make it right?

And Colpy brings up a valid point.

This isn't like "A kid played with a gun and then died with a 100% kill rate". Do you have any idea how many kids at gun shows fire guns under the eyes of an instructor?

There were probably three of four hundred kids that show alone. Let alone the hundreds of other shows going on at any one time.

Doesn't matter.... if the kid wants to shoot off a gun, give him one he can manage. He couldn't handle this weapon, he died.... people are stupid.

Parents constantly expose kids to risk to let them have fun. Do you have any idea how many kids die in sports? Whiping hard lumps at each other at 75mph and cracking skulls? Slamming into each other playing Rugby and having kids land on their neck wrong? Or hockey, got they have BLADES ON THEIR FEET AND THEY FIGHT.

And do any, ANY of those thing really do anything for the kids other than give them some fun? No, parents let their kids risk death to play sports, and kids do die, often.

There is a greater chance of injury in sports then there is of death.... firearms are designed for killing, that was their original design function and if you get hit by a bullet from most firearms, chances are, you're gonna die, or get injured a hell of a lot worse then any sport you can list.

Even more die on the ride too and from.

Statistical Garbage.... vehicles are used everyday, multiple times a day, which increases the chance of an accident. It's no different in why Male Drivers have to pay higher insurance "Because Men get into more accidents then women." Men get into more accidents, because "Statistically" there are more male drivers on the road, therefore the chances of an accident with males is greater.

Once again, give a kid a firearm to use every single day, multiple times a day like a car, and you'll see the "Accidents" and deaths increase a hell of a lot..... a hell of a lot more then what cars could ever do.

And as Colpy pointed out, many, MANY kids drown in pools. To the point that owning a pool does horrors to your insurance because despite all the fun they are, they are child drowning magnets.

I grew up with a pool in the back yard..... a pretty big one.... big enough for that magnetic pull you describe to haul all kinds of kids in it to die.....

..... but guess what? I didn't die.... nobody in my family died..... nobody I knew who went into the pool died..... not one single person has died in our pool. Not one person ever came close to getting into trouble in our pool in the 14 years we had it.

And once again.... statistical garbage..... pools are commonly used more often per day then firearms, therefore the chances increase statistically..... that doesn't mean the statistic is accurate for the discussion, let alone any decent argument.

The more you use something, the greater the chance of something happening.... with a firearm in the hands of someone with very little experience, or none at all for the weapon in hand, the chances of death or serious injury go above and beyond any risks involved in driving a car or swimming in a pool.

But (some) parents still let their kids play in pools.

Safer then a beach.... shall we ban beaches? Your argument is silly.

Colpy is pointing out Logic, everyone else is (understandabley) seeing a report of a dead kid and panicking.

I'm not one for panicking, Colpy is pointing out skewed and flawed logic which revolves around poor number comparisons, which do not address the current issue.

Sit rationally and realize more kids die from being driven to the gun show (or any hobby) than die at the gun show firing guns with a safe instructor.

Clearly this instructor wasn't safe, cuz now the kid has a hole in his brain.... oh yeah.... and dead.

There is no such thing as perfect safety, sorry.

Sure there is.... don't do something and nothing will happen.

Don't play in a pool and you won't drown in one.

Don't play with a firearm you can't controll and you won't kill someone with it.... you won't kill yourself.

Don't drive in a car and stay clear away from any traffic and you perfectly avoid getting into an accident with a vehicle.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How will the moron that handed the kid an Uzi explain his actions to the parents? Can there be any excuse for this?

Colpy

I got a 22 rifle on my thirteenth birthday. I don't think any eight year old can be in charge of even a 22.

The father allowed it. He turned to get the camera to take a picture when the gun recoiled and put a bullet in the boys head.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've seen gun recoil break kids' noses. Target practice was fun as a kid, and we enjoyed heading down along the treeline and taking shots at targets the parents would put up for us. I get why these people would let kids fire guns at gun shows. The key is though, I, with my little experience, have seen recoil break kids' noses, so I, with little experience, know that IF you are going to let a kid you don't know fire a gun, they should be well supervised, and have only one bullet in the gun. Once it's kicked back, it's because the bullet is gone. So what if they break a nose or smash themselves in the eye. So what if they clench the trigger as it swings back? The bullet is gone, it's done, and they aren't going to shoot themselves in the head.

Sorry, but, you won't convince me that this is in any way a logical form of beneficial fun for the kids.