Educators debate whether some math basics are 'a dead issue in the year 2016'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Only rich folks should get educations. If you can't pay, it's permanent serfdom for you and your descendants.

Sounds like the Koch Bros. plan.

Profit driven education and privatized science.

The easiest way to kill ourselves.

LOL, In my uneducated way, I agree with you:

My experience has been that degrees do not necessarily equate to a real world education. Our system is not designed to turn out a properly educated critical thinker, For the most part, its designed to manufacture cogs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMqJvhmD5Yg

The problem is that it is still too business driven.

Kids need more exposure to philosophy and science.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Guess they better hire a researcher or two. That might apply to building houses in the city but the hourly rate for ours starts at around $34.00. time&1/2 after 8 DT after ten. weekends DT. Journeyman labourers and those with specialties make some what more. Plus bennies and bonus. No tips.

Profit driven education and privatized science.

The easiest way to kill ourselves.

The problem is that it is still too business driven.

Kids need more exposure to philosophy and science.

You are 180 degrees off course again.
The problem is that the educators, and I use that term loosely are totally out of touch with reality and what the job market requires. Hence we have university grads working at selfserve gas bars that can't even make change or figure out what oil a car needs.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Guess they better hire a researcher or two. That might apply to building houses in the city but the hourly rate for ours starts at around $34.00. time&1/2 after 8 DT after ten. weekends DT. Journeyman labourers and those with specialties make some what more. Plus bennies and bonus. No tips.

You are 180 degrees off course again.
The problem is that the educators, and I use that term loosely are totally out of touch with reality and what the job market requires. Hence we have university grads working at selfserve gas bars that can't even make change or figure out what oil a car needs.

Like Tec said about me. Educators live in their own self made island. It's easy to understand why they have lost touch.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Without basic math how is a kid to know and tell how many times he has been screwged by the man?

@ Angstrom: the teachers pensions are dependent on the corprotocracy staying ascendant, and based on the fact that teachers are amongst the worst tippers, I'd say it is a safe bet most will sell the kids out in a heartbeat

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Without basic math how is a kid to know and tell how many times he has been screwged by the man?

@ Angstrom: the teachers pensions are dependent on the corprotocracy staying ascendant, and based on the fact that teachers are amongst the worst tippers, I'd say it is a safe bet most will sell the kids out in a heartbeat

Teacher definitely devalue our currency. But that's true of any government worker, that can't be held accountable.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
"Nearly 7 million Americans have gone at least a year without making a payment on their federal student loans, a high level of "default that suggests a widening swath of households are unable or unwilling to pay back their school debt."
School-Loan Reckoning: 7 Million Are in Default - WSJ
While this is the wall street journal describing the american student debt bubble, one can see a liberal education that doesn't lead to real jobs is a BIG problem, but all the pervayers of such a useless product still insist on not only getting paid, but on tenure, and maximum pensions as well...
can we afford this?
Nope

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So the term "Canadian national average" doesn't mean anything to you. Damn, you really are Brittanicus!

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
"Nearly 7 million Americans have gone at least a year without making a payment on their federal student loans, a high level of "default that suggests a widening swath of households are unable or unwilling to pay back their school debt."
School-Loan Reckoning: 7 Million Are in Default - WSJ
While this is the wall street journal describing the american student debt bubble, one can see a liberal education that doesn't lead to real jobs is a BIG problem, but all the pervayers of such a useless product still insist on not only getting paid, but on tenure, and maximun pensions as well...
can we afford this?
Nope

And that go's back to what I was saying earlier.

You can flood the market with educated humans, but the demand stays the same even if we supply ten times more then what is asked for. ;)

Walter and fiveparadox keep giving me reds for stating the truth of the reality of life :lol:

Educating everyone Isn't a self propelling job creating dynamic :lol:

No matter how much people would like it to be.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Funny enough I just spent the last couple of months kicking educated dr butt...
I'm still alive because I was right.
The funny part is:
I used educated doctor citations to back up real world results to prove it:
The practical result of 15 miss-spent years of forum debating...
( you can take the pins out my doll any time...you know who are...lol)

Some would hide life saving info that's not patent-able to service the profit motive instead of just using knowledge to save lives.
What kind of education teaches people that that kind of hostage taking is OK?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Funny enough I just spent the last couple of months kicking educated dr butt...
I'm still alive because I was right.
The funny part is:
I used educated doctor citations to back up real world results to prove it:
The practical result of 15 miss-spent years of forum debating...
( you can take the pins out my doll any time...you know who are...lol)

Some would hide life saving info that's not patent-able to service the profit motive instead of just using knowledge to save lives.
What kind of education teaches people that that kind of hostage taking is OK?

It's a multi layered, reality we live in. Things get simplified for the simple minded.

Our real problem isn't education.

It's lack of real life.

We spend more time watching stories on a tv then doing things to sustain ourselves.
Results is a very incompetent population, that has no ability to critically think and pay attention to fine details.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I thought the teacher's pensions were dependent on the fortunes of the Toronto Maple Leafs. If the Leafs make money, the teachers make money.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The only education that should be strictly privatized is the Catholic school board.

You can keep religious education couched within the context of philosophy and ethics but it shouldn't have its own publicly funded board.

Also, this fallacy that all educators are elites is as dumb as believing Rob Ford was an average Joe.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The only education that should be strictly privatized is the Catholic school board.

You can keep religious education couched within the context of philosophy and ethics but it shouldn't have its own publicly funded board.

Also, this fallacy that all educators are elites is as dumb as believing Rob Ford was an average Joe.

You really are as stupid as Bear says you are. You really don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Tell me, what all do you want thrown out of the Canadian Constitution?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Tell me, why can't you stay on topic?

Catholic Separate Schools, which you brought up not me, are guaranteed in our Constitution. What else do you want removed from our Constitution? What other rights do you want removed?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
"Common Core" for math is f*cking ridiculous. The idea behind common core is to encourage students to think critically. To challenge the status quo when it smells bad. Math is not the place for that. While there may be more than one way to arrive at an answer, the fact is, there's only one answer. 2+2 will always equal four, no matter how fancy you want to get with advanced mathematical functions.

This common core math crap reminds me of when they tried to shove some garbage called "short division" on us in school. It wasn't really much shorter than long division and man, was it ever f*ckng stupid.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Jinentonix;2271049 the fact is said:
2+2 will always equal four[/B],

It certainly will.....................................as long as you are working in the base 10 system, however things like computer technology work in the base 2 system! There's an exception to every rule. :) :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It certainly will.....................................as long as you are working in the base 10 system, however things like computer technology work in the base 2 system! There's an exception to every rule. :) :)
Yes, but you're working in a machine language were the numbers don't necessarily represent their arithmetical functions.

If I have 2 apples, and I get another 2 apples, I'll always end up with 4 apples no matter how many times I repeat the process. There is a 0% chance that I'll end up with 5 apples, or 3 apples or any other number of apples.