Driving while on the phone.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So far. Now eating a burger while driving is distracted driving.

It's been almost three decades since I did so but smoking is definitely distracting, especially if burning material lands on you or lap (and it does, sometimes).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This just goes totally against all I've learned on dozens of visits and driving virtually thousands of miles in the U.S. I have never had a problem with a single American and in fact have found them almost without exception to be very kind and generous to me and my wife. :) :)
Don't take but one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
For me, "breaking the law" is only a secondary or tertiary concern.................killing people, however is a primary concern! J.M.H.O. :)

Other than these so called experts voice their opinions, please post your links to data that actually shows people on bluetooth devices have actually caused more accidents statistically than those who are not.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Other than these so called experts voice their opinions, please post your links to data that actually shows people on bluetooth devices have actually caused more accidents statistically than those who are not.
First bullet point. From there you can do your own research. I ain't your google bitch.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
How much for a steering wheel that requires both hands be on the wheel or the vehicle shuts down some systems or honks the horn randomly.

That would make driving a standard, or rolling down the windows, or adjusting the heat controls, or tuning on the windshield wipers, rather challenging.

So far. Now eating a burger while driving is distracted driving.

Try eating a peanut buster parfait while driving. That's a challenge.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I have a Bluetooth in my vehicle. I have my personal phone book on it. When I want to call someone, just say their name and it dials. Still seem to be distracted when driving downtown.
It's hard not to be distracted driving downtown especially on a hot sunny day .
Rubber neck and all .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
First bullet point. From there you can do your own research. I ain't your google bitch.

I wasn't asking you to be unless you are an alias for JLM. He is the one bent out of shape over it. I think he's full of sh-it about Bluetooth.

Certainly human nature will say that people will talk regardless. Bluetooth is much safer than picking up the phone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wasn't asking you to be unless you are an alias for JLM. He is the one bent out of shape over it. I think he's full of sh-it about Bluetooth.

Certainly human nature will say that people will talk regardless. Bluetooth is much safer than picking up the phone.

What is it I'm "bent out of shape" over. I know absolutely nothing about Bluetooth so how can I possibly be full of sh*t? :)

It's hard not to be distracted driving downtown especially on a hot sunny day .
Rubber neck and all .

In that case the driver can hardly be blamed for providing the distractions, but unless your brains are between your legs you find ways to overcome those "difficulties". :) :)

Try eating a peanut buster parfait while driving. That's a challenge.

W.T.F. is that?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Ah, so you didn't want data, you just wanted to score a point.

OK, sorry. I misunderstood.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The whole talking on the phone phenomenon is kind of weird though. I'm not talking about texting but actually using the phone as a phone, even if it's hands-free. I don't know why but having a discussion with the person in the passenger seat isn't all that distracting but talking to someone on a hands-free phone still affects my driving concentration. Not that I yap on the phone and drive. I did once and said "F*ck that! Any calls can wait." It was surprisingly distracting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The whole talking on the phone phenomenon is kind of weird though. I'm not talking about texting but actually using the phone as a phone, even if it's hands-free. I don't know why but having a discussion with the person in the passenger seat isn't all that distracting but talking to someone on a hands-free phone still affects my driving concentration. Not that I yap on the phone and drive. I did once and said "F*ck that! Any calls can wait." It was surprisingly distracting.

You got that right!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What is it I'm "bent out of shape" over. I know absolutely nothing about Bluetooth so how can I possibly be full of sh*t? :)

So you are arguing against something you know nothing about? I retract the statement you are full of sh-it. You are just ignorant.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That would make driving a standard, or rolling down the windows, or adjusting the heat controls, or tuning on the windshield wipers, rather challenging.
How about a 10 second delay? I'm all for using a phone while driving, there also has to be a way to make it as safe as if you were chatting to somebody sitting behind you. Voice operated seems to be a solution that is already available, if it works in a vehicle it would work while walking or cycling. What then, whisper only zones?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Texting and driving safely is a challenge that I take most every day and I succeed at both.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think there's a "bottom line" here that lots of people aren't aware of which is it's NOT what your hands are doing that causes the problems but what you mind is doing and to a certain extent what your eyes are doing!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I think there's a "bottom line" here that lots of people aren't aware of which is it's NOT what your hands are doing that causes the problems but what you mind is doing and to a certain extent what your eyes are doing!
And which brain you're using. Remember, men have two brains.