Driving while on the phone.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Typical for BC. Taking the wrong road to get to an unknown destination.

It should be illegal NOT to drive, while talking into a cellphone. The theory of everybody doing the same thing, and it helping (binding), has been proven by scientists, and demonstrated at the Olympics. It's a radically simple concept that the people who make up the laws never considered.

But first, let's start with a basic idea. Something that everybody does.

You've filled a cup too full with red wine, and have to go from the kitchen to the living room - without spilling the contents onto your new, pure white shag carpet. Spilling it would waste the wine, and the money it costs to have the carpet professionally cleaned would cut into your wine and dope money.

Yes, you could hire an expert to carry it for you, but that costs money too. But you remember watching the Discovery Channel. Some person said that if you hum while walking with a full glass, you're less likely to spill the contents. Hmmm, sound and rhythm. So you tried it, and it worked! Problem solved. Fill that glass to the tippy top and don't be afraid of walking with it!

Take that same idea, only modify it. Everybody should be talking on a cell phone at the same time. Here's how the logic works.

In the Olympics, they have an event called synchronized swimming. A gaggle of swimmers move in unison through the water. Their actions become instinctive. Hmmm, rhythm and motion! It takes a relaxed person to do this efficiently.

If every driver was moving through the streets talking on their cell phone, no one would be paying attention to anybody, and, according to the physics of it, no one would collide. Random motion isn't really random then, is it?

The whole universe is made of atoms, orbited by electrons. Often, their movements are random, yet you never hear about atoms slamming into each other, causing a nuclear explosion. That's because they move in a coordinated manner. In effect, they are used to the other atoms advancing around them.

See? The world hasn't exploded yet because random atomic motion binds rather than breaks up the universe.

Well that's a refreshing take on nuclear physics. Atoms don't smash into each other because there is so much space between each one. It's all relative. Perception is subjective.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Anyone else have this problem...

Your driving and someone calls, you don't answer because your driving
2 seconds later they leave you a text
4 minutes later they call again followed by two more texts
2 minutes later they call you again followed by another text
1 minute later they call you once every minute on the minute

You pull over or arrive at your destination and look at your phone and wonder what the **** is this mental break down about, i was driving for 15 minutes not ignoring you...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Don't try that in the States.

No, seriously, don't. For your own safety.

This just goes totally against all I've learned on dozens of visits and driving virtually thousands of miles in the U.S. I have never had a problem with a single American and in fact have found them almost without exception to be very kind and generous to me and my wife. :) :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You pull over or arrive at your destination and look at your phone and wonder what the **** is this mental break down about, i was driving for 15 minutes not ignoring you...

If your phone is turned OFF you won't have that problem. :) :)

Not always safe to do. And people will take the quickest choice and usually that is hitting the button on a device.

Well maybe wait a minute or two (or half an hour) until it is safe. I think a change in attitude is necessary...................a phone is for the convenience of the OWNER only. :) :) My cell phone is for outgoing calls! :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

If you could have taken this route would you have.

Answer, listen, reply s,u,p, send, block number 15 minutes.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

I "had" this one buddy, he was a junkie when it came to weed. I was driving for 15 minutes to go to the other end of town and i sh!t you not, in that span he called me 7 times and left 10 text messages...

"Hey man can you score"
"Hey man wtf"
"Hey man if you dont' want to be friends i get it"
"Hey man can you help me out"
"YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

etc etc etc

I expected that kinda thing from fentanyl junkies not pot heads, :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if at this point your wondering "wtf" is going on in Sudbury :lol:

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Well maybe wait a minute or two (or half an hour) until it is safe. I think a change in attitude is necessary...................a phone is for the convenience of the OWNER only. :) :) My cell phone is for outgoing calls! :)

Good for you. Bluetooth is completely safe and legal and for those of us that use or phone more it is fine. You seem to be once again getting on your moral high horse and deciding how others should be living their lives. As long as they are not breaking the law, I have no issues.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Good for you. Bluetooth is completely safe and legal and for those of us that use or phone more it is fine. You seem to be once again getting on your moral high horse and deciding how others should be living their lives. As long as they are not breaking the law, I have no issues.

Shhhh. He's so old he doesn't understand.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Well according to a discussion on the radio this morning, Blue Tooth (or any other gadget) is not completely safe as it is impossible to keep your mind 100% on your driving while talking and listening to others talk! :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I "had" this one buddy, he was a junkie when it came to weed. I was driving for 15 minutes to go to the other end of town and i sh!t you not, in that span he called me 7 times and left 10 text messages...

"Hey man can you score"
"Hey man wtf"
"Hey man if you dont' want to be friends i get it"
"Hey man can you help me out"
"YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

etc etc etc

I expected that kinda thing from fentanyl junkies not pot heads, :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if at this point your wondering "wtf" is going on in Sudbury :lol:
. . . hey man, perhaps it was some 'special stuff' you know. . . . . . I don't suppose, . . . . you know, . . . maybe there is some of that stuff left and I, . . . . could get rid of it for you so it doesn't destroy any other lives. Happy to help out, . . . can you pay the shipping?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well according to a discussion on the radio this morning, Blue Tooth (or any other gadget) is not completely safe as it is impossible to keep your mind 100% on your driving while talking and listening to others talk! :)

... or listening to the radio.
... having passengers in the car.

Anything can be a distraction. Only holding one's phone in one's hand is illegal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
... or listening to the radio.
... having passengers in the car.

Anything can be a distraction. Only holding one's phone in one's hand is illegal.

Speaking from personal experience (close to a million miles of it) I know if I'm driving down the open highway in normal traffic, I have no problem carrying normal conversation, but if I'm in a busy urban area where there are several different traffic movements and pedestrians to look out for and lights to watch and merging traffic it's impossible to think of anything except driving............add to that poor weather, darkness and bad visibility you have a recipe for disaster.

In BC they do. Revenue stream Recently one woman racked up 14 charges in Surrey and one in Courtenay got 2 in one day.

Probably not Mensa candidates! :) :)

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I have a Bluetooth in my vehicle. I have my personal phone book on it. When I want to call someone, just say their name and it dials. Still seem to be distracted when driving downtown.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They're closer to $40 for a decent one but often On Sale for $30.

They're not quite as liberating as many believe you can only redial the last number you called-or called you- still beats getting busted though.

I think got mine at Walmart for around $20 (+ tax). It connects me to Siri and will do anything she does including calling anybody in my contacts. It was the ultra basic model but most of the smarts are on the phone.

I have a Bluetooth in my vehicle. I have my personal phone book on it. When I want to call someone, just say their name and it dials. Still seem to be distracted when driving downtown.

I have had that in rentals. The ones I have had seem to download the contacts from your phone. It is nice seeing the call display on the dashboard. My earpiece just allows me to answer.