Driving ban for life after DUI? Drunk driving - from it is OK to execution, ect....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
re: Driving ban for life after DUI? Drunk driving - from it is OK to execution, ect....

I'd also support a call for absolutely zero blood alcohol levels too. No one has a right to drink, no one has a right to drive. No one should have a right to do them together in any capacity.

...and nobody has the right to make other Canadians pay the horrendous legal costs to deal with a non-problem just because they have an issue with it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
re: Driving ban for life after DUI? Drunk driving - from it is OK to execution, ect....

...and nobody has the right to make other Canadians pay the horrendous legal costs to deal with a non-problem just because they have an issue with it.

Yes, the Govt does. The BAC should be 0.0000

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Re: Texas man gets life sentence after third DWI conviction

Murders in Canada
2006 -606
2007 -594
2008 - 611
2009 - 610
2010 - 554

800 was the average for persons killed from drunk drivers- did not add in the accident costs for those that lived.
Alcohol impairs- fact- 1 drink or 5 drinks- it impairs abilities.

Ya, I understand MADD and RIDE stats as they have been regurgitated ad nauseum by many folks over the years. I'm not saying that alcohol and driving isn't a problem. The question is when does it become a problem. Show me some stats that say that driving wit a BAC of 0.80 is such a significant problem that we should spend millions of dollars a year dealing with it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

As I suggested, though, impairment can be due to more than just substance abuse. Where would you like to stop? 0 tolerance for anything distracting from the ability to drive?

I missed the 4 - 0.04000 - Thanks for bring that up.
Yes impairment can come from a number of things.
Oddly enough most accidents happen when driving weather and conditions are great- dry roads, sunny days - nice day for driving- leads to complacency. Roads and weather are terrible- more people pay attention.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

The BAC should be 0.0000

I'm well aware of your opinion on the matter. It would be nice though (considering that you wish to push your beliefs on others) if you actually posted some stats that might convince me that spending money (we don't have) on the problem is warranted.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Ya, I understand MADD and RIDE stats as they have been regurgitated ad nausea by many folks over the years. I'm not saying that alcohol and driving isn't a problem. The question is when does it become a problem. Show me some stats that say that driving wit a BAC of 0.80 is such a significant problem that we should spend millions of dollars a year dealing with it.

Check Google- stats show the levels of scientifically measured impairment by low levels of BAC.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

As I suggested, though, impairment can be due to more than just substance abuse. Where would you like to stop? 0 tolerance for anything distracting from the ability to drive?

It can be sure. No cell phones. I've seen people rear end others while texting.

If people want to do stupid things, let them, who cares. But the moment they can reasonably endanger others while being stupid is when we should step in.

I'd endorse 0 BAC over ridiculous wrangling over a few points for where intoxication begins for what person.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I'm well aware of your opinion on the matter. It would be nice though (considering that you wish to push your beliefs on others) if you actually posted some stats that might convince me that spending money (we don't have) on the problem is warranted.

Do you believe that drunk driving is not a problem?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Check Google- stats show the levels of scientifically measured impairment by low levels of BAC.

I'm well aware of those stats. I was referring to stats about BAC and accidents. If we are going to throw people in jail or, at the very least, run them through a very expensive legal preceding, because of a BAC of 0.08, shouldn't we know if they are actually a problem?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Maybe not. But at least there is then recourse if the person is cought driving without a license.
There always has been....
Do you have any idea how many people are out there today on our highways who have no right (privilege) to be there?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Do you believe that drunk driving is not a problem?

As I've already said, the term drunk means different things to different people. You should be more specific.

If you are asking me if I believe people with a BAC between 0 and 0.10 are a problem, then I would have to say that I've never seen any evidence that says they are.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There always has been....
Do you have any idea how many people are out there today on our highways who have no right (privilege) to be there?

Yep, MOST of them...........I'd guess 75% of them speed on a regular basis and 50% tail gate on regular basis.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

As I've already said, the term drunk means different things to different people. You should be more specific.

If you are asking me if I believe people with a BAC between 0 and 0.10 are a problem, then I would have to say that I've never seen any evidence that says they are.

Not a problem in your opinion- BAC 0.08 and higher is impaired in Canada.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Well you see, a license is required to drive. When you don't own one you do not have permission from the government to drive any type of vehicle.

He also did not have permission from the Gov't to DRINK & DRIVE, did that stop him? Are you naive or just plain stupid? -:)

Trolling continues to be lucrative......................catching the same idiot over and over!-:)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

According to science, 0.05 ml/l is when judgement and motor-skills BOTH become impaired.

I believe that is the level that MADD wants. Some countries if I recall correctly have a BAC of 0.00
Using a bluetooth while driving does cause impairment.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

According to science, 0.05 ml/l is when judgement and motor skills (reaction time, etc.) BOTH become impaired.

With that in mind, isn't BC the place that yoinks your licence, and impounds your vehicle,
for 24hrs from the roadside without the due process of a court date, judgement, etc...?

Whoops...based upon 0.04ml/l

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Yep, MOST of them...........I'd guess 75% of them speed on a regular basis and 50% tail gate on regular basis.
I know one guy who actually drove to and FROM Court on his Impaired Driving date with the judge....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Not a problem in your opinion- BAC 0.08 and higher is impaired in Canada.

Yes, I think we all know what the law is. The question is whether it should be. Neither MADD nor RIDE have given any me any reason to believe 0.08 should be. I see you are having the same issue they are.