Driving ban for life after DUI? Drunk driving - from it is OK to execution, ect....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I've said repeatedly that I do not know the costs nor the extent of the problem. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why say that it's a horrendous cost then?

Dance around all you like. The implication of what all your posts in this thread that are actually related to the topic are saying is that you've reached a conclusion and even less subtle after you started "extrapolating" from the stat I posted.

Yet I posted the stats of how many are, in fact, in said wrecks. And you even started "extrapolating" from the stats. Really, how do you think those drivers between 0.05 and 0.08 died if they weren't in wrecks?

Keep dancing.

lol Look, you poor, dumb ****wit, hand me all the reds you like. It will not make me stop pointing out that you are only making yourself look like a fool.

Don't despair Les, one of the downsides of being a twit, is they don't have enough f**Kin' brains to recognize their situation. Out of kindness someone should medicate him so he doesn't try to do strenuous exercise like thinking! -:)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Because they lump all impaired drivers together. I see no reason to believe, given my own personal experience, that a driver at 0.08 is the same risk as a driver at 0.16. As I've said, I could be wrong but I haven't seen any statistical data that would contradict my own personal experience. I think I already posted that, as a firefighter, I've been to some nasty DD wrecks. I'd bet 6 months of paychecks that not a single one involved a driver under 0.10
Again, I posted the stats of how many are, in fact, in said wrecks. And you even started "extrapolating" from the stats. Really, how do you think those drivers between 0.05 and 0.08 died if they weren't in wrecks? Just because you haven't seen any of those wrecks, does not mean there weren't any. Jeez
I've said repeatedly that I do not know the costs nor the extent of the problem. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
Told you, I understand that that is what you are saying. I don't blieve you are not biased, though. I think you think that anything under 0.01 is too expensive regardless of the costs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think this thread has pretty well run its course and even one death resulting from impaired driving is too many and whatever is necessary to prevent it should be done. End of discussion (as far as I'm concerned)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Again, I posted the stats of how many are, in fact, in said wrecks. And you even started "extrapolating" from the stats. Really, how do you think those drivers between 0.05 and 0.08 died if they weren't in wrecks? Just because you haven't seen any of those wrecks, does not mean there weren't any. Jeez
Told you, I understand that that is what you are saying. I don't blieve you are not biased, though. I think you think that anything under 0.01 is too expensive regardless of the costs.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think this thread has pretty well run its course and even one death resulting from impaired driving is too many and whatever is necessary to prevent it should be done. End of discussion (as far as I'm concerned)
You know...for a guy who keeps saying that he doesn't know....he sure can't STFU....He's fast replacing Sir Joe as the motor mouth of the forum....:lol:

And the dance goes on....Waiting for the red.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You know...for a guy who keeps saying that he doesn't know....he sure can't STFU....He's fast replacing Sir Joe as the motor mouth of the forum....:lol:

And the dance goes on....Waiting for the red.....

For sure and for a guy who claims he doesn't know he seems to think he knows enough to put everyone else down! -:)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
LOL...I'm not the one looking like a fool. I've explained my point of view too many times to count. If you are unable to grasp it, perhaps this thread is just a little over your head and you should run along.

Why do you feel you have to respond with childish name calling?

Edit

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Enough with the back and forth bickering! It's very annoying. Stick to the topic WITHOUT attacking other forum members.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So outlining the issue:
I posted the stats the gov't has that says about 5% of drunk drivers that die in crashes are between 0.05 and 0.08. The gov't says around 30 to 35% of impaired drivers die in crashes (2000 to 2006 stats). The last year of gov't assesment I could find (2009), there were about 85,000 cases of impaired driving in the books. About 1/3 of those are caused by teens and 20+.
Cannuck calculates that about 35 or 40 drivers who drive with BAC of between 0.05 and 0.08 die in crashes. The stat leaves out those drivers that are merely injured as well as passengers and pedestrians and their deaths and injuries, property damage, and whatever else may be pertinent. The government thinks crashes caused by drunk drivers alone costs about $10.6 billion per year. (Smashed: A Sober Look at Drinking and Driving - Transport Canada ). Can't find anything saying how much is attributable to those drivers that are only mildly drunk (below say 0.10 ). I'm also thinking that some drunk drivers were not drunk the same night they'd been drinking but had slept off some of their impairment and still blew over in the morning.

IMO, 0.05 (when driving abilities, like judgement and motor skills, become impaired) is a reasonable limit and I get the impression that the money spent catching and convicting those under 0.01 is a small fraction of the total costs and well worth that small fraction considering the amount of deaths, possibles injuries and the amount of damage done.

Relative likelihood of dying in a crash relative to age and BAC: