Don't move to Clearwater, BC and area

What is most important to you in a place to live?

• Recreation options

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • safe housing

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • lack of radon/radiation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • polite, welcoming community members

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This town qualifies for the reference of 'North Bumblefuc k.' Clearly, as it is 80 miles north of Kamloops.

North Bumblefu k. who knew a swear could sound sooo cute.

He didn't water it down.

and nope, he defo didn't water it down. We've become just a stream of puns. Yes, I know, I'm fishing for more.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nakusp: 1500 people; lovin' it. I know a lot of people here, most are my friends. In a small town, you can actually get to know people, unlike impersonal big city urban concentration camps.

i like it somewhere in the middle, don't want everyone to know who i am, and if they don't they will
make sure they do.
i like privacy, and i like to reach out when i decide i want to know others, and what others i want
to know.
here in the comox valley, it is quite like that, its still rather small, but not small town like you
are describing, just right for me.

we have driven into real small towns in the past while travelling b.c., and were stared at almost the
whole time.
couldn't wait to get out of those towns.
guess we were obvious, big 4x4 with camper, pulling a boat, fishing gear, a dog, and real hungry, wanting a burger
and a walk around the town.

sometimes struck up a good conversation with locals, but not often.

always made sure we could see our 'stuff' parked on the street, as sometimes
we got the feeling some of it wouldn't be there when we were finished our lunch.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I have seen the rain coming down on a sunny day in B.C.

8O WOW!! A Sunshower... OMG!!

Seriously, what you were a sunshower virgin till then, or what?

BTW, what's a "Rock Hard Member" someone who spends too much time online doing..

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
clearly some stirring of the pot is in fact necessary

crystal in fact...we should give it some credence in fact, to revive things...(sorry I couldn't resist)

going to pour some wine now
Alright, this was the one that got the guffaw!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Warning about Clearwater!!

My family and I are writing this to advise those wishing to move to BC CANADA on why NOT to relocate to the town of Clearwater and area. We are newer to the community and have lived all over but this place is really not what BC is all about. Property is cheap, the town can be a resume builder, but at a high price.

Why you don't want to live in Clearwater,BC and area:

1. outsiders are not welcome - everybody is cliquey and paranoid about anyone new.
2. wasps - they almost look like bees, but they are aggressive and bite over and over for no reason. They swarm your car and then chase you in droves when you get out, only to sting over and over.
3. mosquitos - a cloud of mosquitos follows you everywhere outdoors between April and October.
4. headaches - a high pressure zone for weather changes, you can expect migraines regularly.
5. radiation - the BC centre for disease control rates it as one of the highest naturally radiated zones in BC, if not Canada. There has been discussion about building a cancer institute/hospital close to Clearwater to deal with all of the leukaemia and brain tumours.
6. snow - buy a 4 x 4 vehicle with lots of clearance and studded tires or forget driving. The roads are not maintained, you live in the mountains and will slide all over the place-some people slide right off cliffs into the Thompson River and drown.
7. recreation (lack of) - we moved here because we like the outdoors. Forget hiking - the trails are not maintained and the wasps will prevent you from getting out of your vehicle. In the winter you better own a snowmobile and a hefty truck to move the thing or there is nothing to do. No dirt bike trails. Largest park in north america with some of the worst access roads and poorly maintained trails - some of the supposed trails don't even have a trail head to find the place.
8. tourism - drives the economy through summer. Don't know why anyone comes here-most people end up disappointed with their holidays! The place falls asleep outside of June through August and even the bakery closes. The campers that go 30km/h one after the other through the park are impossible to pass and make driving frustrating.
9. dental/medical - very spotty coverage. Move somewhere with a better set up if you have a chronic disease.
10. real estate - cheap but you get what you pay for. most properties are dilapidated and if yours isn't, your neighbour's place is.
11. rentals - get ready to live in a mobile home that doesn't stay warm, with pipes that freeze in the winter- who needs water anyway? You can survive without water in the winter, right? This is renting in Clearwater - shabby building codes and no one to reinforce the rules. No one cares!
12. groceries/shopping - prepare to drive 1.5h to Kamloops if you want meat that doesn't smell rotten, fruit that isn't mushy/bruised, a haircut that is even, or clothes that aren't used 3x over from the second hand thrift store. There is no proper shopping in this town.
13. Gasoline- there is something seriously wrong with the gas in this place. Both my vehicles suddenly need fuel filters. Do they dilute the gas with mud?
14. general ignorance- people here aren't educated, it's like they haven't even completed high school basic science classes. many people here haven't been anywhere else and they will argue about things that anyone else in the world who has been somewhere or gone to school would know is untrue. They shoot dogs in their backyards, drown/torture cats, run animals over on the roads without blinking, starve their horses, and generally think that they are right about everything when a basic google search will find the facts and prove them wrong. BUT be careful not to prove them wrong or you will be an outcast for knowing more.

I hope this helps understand why not to move here. We are getting out of here as soon as possible as it is ignorant hickville suffrage living in this place. Go anywhere else in BC!!!!

Where would you be happy?

If BC was as great as people said more than 1 in 12 Canadians would live there.

They do, it's actually about 1 in 8.5 Canadians. We are over 4 million. -:) When are you moving back?

marigold321

Apr 22, 2014
Funny that is exactly how normak people feel about stinking cities.
Clearwater got lucky that a dweeb left town.
You fall into category #14 of my comment.

Where would you be happy?

They do, it's actually about 1 in 8.5 Canadians. We are over 4 million. -:) When are you moving back?
Where would I be happy? LoL anywhere else in BC where people aren't marrying their cousins.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You fall into category #14 of my comment.

Where would I be happy? LoL anywhere else in BC where people aren't marrying their cousins.....

You must be a pretty busy woman! Determining "cousins" involves looking at all the birth certificates and family trees. Why would you bother? Folks is folks. Here's an exercise for you...............count your direct anticedents going back 30 generations (+/- 1000 years)

marigold321

Apr 22, 2014
Don't like the competition, eh.
Speak for yourself!

You must be a pretty busy woman! Determining "cousins" involves looking at all the birth certificates and family trees. Why would you bother? Folks is folks. Here's an exercise for you...............count your direct anticedents going back 30 generations (+/- 1000 years)
Doesn't take much research when you meet people who tell you their life story.
Cousins marrying.

marigold321

Apr 22, 2014
Why would you care? If you don't like it, don't do it! :) :)
The purpose of my post is to help people by making them aware of realities of a place before making a life changing decision to move there. When you move somewhere and bring a family with you, you hope to settle down. When the gene pool is so narrow, it does not make sense to raise children in this area as the selection of a future spouse would be quite limited.

I don't have time to entertain some of the less insightful comments springing up here. You fools keep typing, good night.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The purpose of my post is to help people by making them aware of realities of a place before making a life changing decision to move there. When you move somewhere and bring a family with you, you hope to settle down. When the gene pool is so narrow, it does not make sense to raise children in this area as the selection of a future spouse would be quite limited.

I don't have time to entertain some of the less insightful comments springing up here. You fools keep typing, good night.

Ahhhhh... another shoot and run. See ya in another 18 months?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

So what you are saying, out of a population of 5,000 or 6,000 people not one would be suitable to marry. (You are just looking for one aren't you?) I bet the people in Clearwater just adore you! - YOU have a lot of learning about life left yet, dear!

Cousins marrying.

Last I heard, it was legal in most jurisdictions! :)

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Some further details about my buddy's situation have emerged-turns out the Cariboo is under assault from a wave of drug addiction and concomitant crime-he literally escaped with his life and luckily the rehab he's undergoing is helping him immensely.

No such luck for those he knows in rural hellholes like 100 Mile House, Armstrong, & Cache Creek they remain slaves to the crack pipe and the needle.

So now the situation clarifies itself-if people are acting like creeped out weirdos as reported by OP it's because They Are Creeped Out Weirdos-drugged up hopelessly addicted wrecks.