Does downloading free movies and music equate to stealing?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Did I pay for the CD or did I find it on a torrent?

Big difference.

Someone paid for it and they're sharing it with you.

Nope. As the law currently stands, the performance on the CD is copyrighted, and when you are buying the CD, you buy a blank CD and a license to the performance. That license is limited, generally to the use of yourself and anyone who happens to be in earshot.

Of course it's illegal, but I took the question as moral.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If all your music is older than 2 years does that mean they cannot prosecute you as the time of the crime was over the statuary limits for piracy. Possession of an album from 1974 would be a crime that took place as long as 40 years ago, that seems a bit harsh no matter how good the Doors were.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not illegal in Canada. We pay what is called the "blank media levy" to be split up by the entertainment industry.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's violating copyright, but not stealing, since I don't regard copyright as property.

Agreed. Plus I tend to use it as a preview. If I like it enough I'll go out and buy a real copy. When it comes to music I consider it stealing to charge for MP3s. The sound quality is **** compared to a CD or record.

The NFL and other sports league broadcast their matches on TV every day. People freely record their presentations and nobody has ever argued that this diminishes the pro leagues profit margin in any way. The same rationale should apply for music and other productions.

Not just that, plenty of people record things from the tv or radio. When I was a kid my parents regularly taped shows and on occasion lent them out. I dont see that as any different from downloading things, and it was never illegal or even controversial so far as I know. Really, who here hasnt recorded or made a copy of a movie, tv show or song?

Did I pay for the CD or did I find it on a torrent?

Big difference.

Someone paid for it before uploading it to a torrent site.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
If it was a terrible movie, it's not stealing, cuz the movie was worthless.

If it was an excellent movie you enjoyed, It's stealing, cuz you liked it, which added value.

It's not stealing if you Critique it.

Not Stealing if you Advertise the movie in some way...

If someone lends it to you...It's not stealing.

:)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Agreed. Plus I tend to use it as a preview. If I like it enough I'll go out and buy a real copy. When it comes to music I consider it stealing to charge for MP3s. The sound quality is **** compared to a CD or record.

We do the same. Test before we buy. My hubby loves vinyl and his turn table, amp and speakers. If it's really good, my hubby gets the thrill of hunting it down. Give's him the opportunity of doing what he loves to do...flip throught pile after pile of vinyl AND I get the house to myself for a couple hours! lol. It's a beautiful thing.

Just an aside, you can sometimes get great quality mp3 that sound exactly like the recording. You need to find a site where the downloads have a really high bitrate. But you're unlikely to get the high rate unless you pay for it or "borrow" it from someone who knows how to upload correctly.

If it was a terrible movie, it's not stealing, cuz the movie was worthless.

If it was an excellent movie you enjoyed, It's stealing, cuz you liked it, which added value.

:)

But what if you think it's an awesome movie, but the majority thought it sucked. What if it's a sleeper or a cult hit?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I figure if it is out there on the airwaves or on the net it is free for the taking. Don't want someone to take your material for free? Then either don't let it out or encript it.