Does downloading free movies and music equate to stealing?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Tell me a few....something that would be impossible to pay for.

VH1 - I like Mob Wives

Ideal

8 out of 10 cats.

Some of the shows we'd downloaded weren't available here at the time, but are now. Never can tell when something will become acceptable here that's been on the air over there for awhile.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There was a time when the cable people thought it was theft to tape movies and music off a sattilite. I've always thought that if a signal was out there, I could use it as long as I didn't sell the movie or the music to a third party. I still believe that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It used to be you could install software for 24hrs to try it out. If you liked it you just installed a crack. Now the developers like Photoshop and Autocad let you install a fully working copy for 30 days. To get around that you could run a windows version in a virtual machine and do a clean install every 30 days. Get a bit tiring after awhile. For me ProgecadSmart is all I need and it is free for personal use forever, or until it won't install.

I'm not sure about movies but a 320 dpi should be less of an offense than a 1080 version as far as $$ worth. Once it is on youtube that is about as public use as it can get. Media should have a limited life as far as collecting royalities, like 10 years and then versions of it can be declared public domain. 128bit stereo for instance. How long in jail would I get for building a music library of 60's-80's music on mono (one ear works)?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If you buy something, you own it usually. If I broke into your house and grabbed your movies without your permission. It would be theft. If Katy Perry broke into your house and grabbed your Katy Perry CD, that would still be theft. If Sony broke into your house and grabbed any music or movies distributed by Sony, that would still be theft. That property is yours. But if I came over and asked to borrow your Katy Perry CD, don't you think you should be allowed to do it? I know you couldn't part with your Katy Perry, but think hypothetically here.
Nope. As the law currently stands, the performance on the CD is copyrighted, and when you are buying the CD, you buy a blank CD and a license to the performance. That license is limited, generally to the use of yourself and anyone who happens to be in earshot.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I think it is stealing, what say you?

Yes, stealing it is............

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I grabbed 5 gigs of good jootoob music vids back in the day before they, the tender cocksucking lawyers and multi-millionaire 'song writers and mirth-makers' became unconscionable whiny bitches...sue me.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Nope, it's sharing.

Agree 100% based on the Supreme Court's ruling in Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984):

Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

As long as the person is not engaging in commercialized use of the product the recording of such material constitutes fair use. No question that unauthorized sales of such material may infringe upon the profiting of the producer (and also lead to tax evasion by unauthorized sellers of recordings). But such fair use actually enhances marketability of the product by promoting its popularity and distribution.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes. In fact, it grew and flourished as free to air for years.

In fact, if you have an antenna, as we do, and a digital decoder, you can still watch TV for free. Excluding the cost of hydro of course.

Money is/was made through advertising.

Also, Youtube. Free. You can convert videos to mp3. Free. The artists and recording studios are putting it out there. To some, that's sort of the equivalent of sharing your invention with the world rather than patenting it. Also, money generated, with advertisements.

Advertising is the currency...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The NFL and other sports league broadcast their matches on TV every day. People freely record their presentations and nobody has ever argued that this diminishes the pro leagues profit margin in any way. The same rationale should apply for music and other productions.