Do we need believe ?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I cannot answer the "change". He does exist. I cannot explain that to you and I don't believe anyone can explain it. It's something you must personally experience to know He exists. There was a time when I never gave God any thought. Then one day without anyones prompting, He just quietly came into my life. I won't even attempt to explain that because once you know it, you know it, but if you don't, you don't. It's like loving your spouse. You can say you love the way they look and act but you can say that about a lot of people that you just "like". Can anyone truly explain to you why they actually LOVE their spouse over all the other people in their lives? It works with hatred as well. Sometimes you meet someone you take an instant dis-like to and even you have no idea what it is. You just know they irk you. Feelings usually cannot be explained. Personally, my feelings regarding God are my own. Yours are your own. It's not my job to try to change them. Some people feel it is their job to convert people and I'm a non believer in that. Jesus said - When you pray, do it in private. That's what I do. Not that I don't and never have participated in group prayer. I do believe in the power of prayer and I also know that we don't get the answer we hope for in every prayer. I actually find that I get more from the little things I pray for. Things that are truly important to my personal self than to anyone else and not even really anything I could say to you that would mean anything to you or to anyone else either. I should have just written "There is no explanation" and left it at that.
Well that was a long winded answer. Kinda miss the point. but anyways.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well that was a long winded answer. Kinda miss the point. but anyways.
That's not fair. I pretty much said that to you myself at the end. It's pretty obvious that you missed the point. That doesn't surprize me.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
That's not fair. I pretty much said that to you myself at the end. It's pretty obvious that you missed the point. That doesn't surprize me.
actually no. I don't think so.My point was , would it change you if he or it didn't exist. Just didn't seem it was a straight answer thats all.
Fair or not

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
What ever happened to the separation of church and state?

When there was a separation of church and state there was peace in the world but because people want religious laws to intermingle with man’s laws then there is contention.

Example the definition of marriage between a man and a woman could not exist because man’s law states equality for all.

Let me be clear religious beliefs have nothing to do with equality it has to do with following Gods teachings and laws.

Man’s laws has to satisfy the majority and as society changes man’s laws will reflect the change that is why a city official who performs marriages has to marry a same sex couple because he has to follow the law or that official has to resign.

In this country we have religious freedoms but when religious laws creep into the state then those laws start to corrupt the fabric of society where brother is against brother.

This is why the separation of church and state is so important to the peace and enjoyment of our present day society.

Saying this we can vote for people that represent our beliefs but it up to them to write effective laws to create a permanent change but in my opinion as long as the “equality for all” clause is in the Bill of Rights religion will never win which can be a good thing for a society with many different beliefs

When you think about it, this is what God intended in the first place

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
actually no. I don't think so.My point was , would it change you if he or it didn't exist. Just didn't seem it was a straight answer thats all.
Fair or not
I meant your comment was unfair since I had already criticized myself for my very wordy post which I could have summed up in a couple of words but hey - who wants to waste all that typing.
Would it change me? As to the type of person I am - NO. I'm honest, hard working, and I am struggling with how to cope with putting down this poor old cat laying her beside me as I type this. She's 16, lost so much weight that she feels like she weighs in at about 2 pounds or less, she eats like a hog, drinks like the bottom of the dish is endless and the rest of the time she howls at me or she sleeps. Seems wrong to keep her. Seems wrong to let her go. :-(

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I meant your comment was unfair since I had already criticized myself for my very wordy post which I could have summed up in a couple of words but hey - who wants to waste all that typing.
Would it change me? As to the type of person I am - NO. I'm honest, hard working, and I am struggling with how to cope with putting down this poor old cat laying her beside me as I type this. She's 16, lost so much weight that she feels like she weighs in at about 2 pounds or less, she eats like a hog, drinks like the bottom of the dish is endless and the rest of the time she howls at me or she sleeps. Seems wrong to keep her. Seems wrong to let her go. :-(
Forgive me , I didn't mean to be condescending. I will have to re read that post to see again about critisizing yourself. Maybe I saw it wrong.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
If I didn't have the belief that people were inherently good, I'd be a complete cynic and avoid them like a plague
You take that for granted, the part about people being inherently good,correct?

Why would one wait for a bus if they didn't have the belief that a bus was on its way?
Well,that's what the bus stops were design to be ,hey ,there are also the schedules that tell you exactly when the bus arrives and departs
, if they didn't have the belief that a bus was on its way?
The system was designed for the buses to come and go............, my 4 year old daughter knows that though she still has a problem with the word "believe".

Why would someone send their kid to college unless they believed that knowledge is a good thing?
Trust me ,not everyone agrees that knowledge is a good thing.
PS.
Anna ,what' your definition of the word believe?

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Do we need a belief of any kind, and if we do, why is it necessary?
That,s the topic of the thread - "a believe of any kind" .....not only believe in God.
We don't believe in reality but only in illusions ....is God an illusion?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Forgive me , I didn't mean to be condescending. I will have to re read that post to see again about critisizing yourself. Maybe I saw it wrong.
To be perfectly fair (and hopefully clear) - your apology is accepted and I hope you accept mine as well. I re-read my own post and while I was criticizing myself - it's not very clear that I was. It's the last sentence.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

That,s the topic of the thread - "a believe of any kind" .....not only believe in God.
We don't believe in reality but only in illusions ....is God an illusion?
If we believed only in illusions that would mean you are not real either.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If we believed only in illusions that would mean you are not real either.
Physical reality, as we understand it, is an illusion, or more correctly a hologram or projection of our thoughts and beliefs. That is why those who believe in gawd can manifest all kinds of "proof" that it exists while those who don't, can't.

Particularly aboriginal people from all over the world had a very different belief system from our's. For example, they believe a tree has spirit. They can actually see that spirit. They can see the life force pulsing through it as waves of energy, not just wood, bark and leaves. We would think that is just nonsense because we can't see it but it not a matter of whether it is or isn't possible, but one of belief systems.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
the only God

It depends on who you talk to. I know people who have a whole different god than the one I believe you are referring to. They too believe theirs is the only god.
I do not believe there is such a thing as god and actually could care less if there one ,or many, or none. My wife OTH believes in spirits and souls but not organized religion. What ever floats your boat as long as it does not interfere with anyone else's right to their belief system.
China: Some of us are smart enough to argue with our wives. Bye and large it is not really worth the effort. Just takes longer to get the same result.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Physical reality, as we understand it, is an illusion, or more correctly a hologram or projection of our thoughts and beliefs. That is why those who believe in gawd can manifest all kinds of "proof" that it exists while those who don't, can't.

Particularly aboriginal people from all over the world had a very different belief system from our's. For example, they believe a tree has spirit. They can actually see that spirit. They can see the life force pulsing through it as waves of energy, not just wood, bark and leaves. We would think that is just nonsense because we can't see it but it not a matter of whether it is or isn't possible, but one of belief systems.

A seedling has the enrgy to bust through asphalt that you would break your hands trying to force through.

No spirit in plants eh? The truth is obvious.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

A seedling has the enrgy to bust through asphalt that you would break your hands trying to force through.

No spirit in plants eh? The truth is obvious.

I wonder what goes through a plant's mind as it takes on asphalt? (mind over matter?)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
By the looks of things it doesn't mind asphalt at all. In reality it is the plant and water working in unison. I doubt it would have that kind of energy without water.