Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
President Bush leaves thousands of Americans to die in Gulf coast cities

*** The US regime has left thousands to die of hungar, thirst and disease in the Gulf coast cities worst hit by Hurricane Katrina. The government of the most rich and powerful nation in the history of planet Earth has chosen not to help thousands its citizens in the mainly poor, mainly black areas worst affected by the flooding following the storm. Bush has no problem move hundreds of thousands of troops, ships, tanks, bombs, missiles, vehicles and aircraft to and from Iraq thousands of miles away, yet we are expected to believe that he is doing everything he can when thousands of people are stranded and dying on his own soil a day after he returned from playing Golf at his prestigious ranch in Texas. Ironically, many of the troops sent to Iraq come from these poor areas of America where unemployment is so high that the best career option for many people is to join up and serve at the front line; indeed this strategy has long been the key to successful military recruitment. ***

Amid stench of death, poor bear the brunt

The journey from Pensacola to Pascalouga starts with a search for petrol and ends with a search for the dead.

Along the way, the smell of damp in Mobile, Alabama, turns to the stench of death from the Gulf Coast. The radio dial flits from call-in shows fielding requests from beleaguered mayors of small hamlets for generators and ice to Baptist preachers promising God's wrath. But for many here, it seems as though his will has already been done.

The entrance to Pascalouga reveals crushed homes and dilapidated stores alongside queues for petrol and food.
"I've got enough supplies for another two days but I don't know what I'm going to do after that," said Sarah Jackson as she entered her second hour in a queue outside Wal-Mart.

"I keep telling myself I'm lucky because it could have been worse, but with each day I feel less and less lucky."

Officials on the Gulf Coast say the emphasis has moved from search and rescue to bag and tag as emergency rescue workers cut their way through to Gulfport and Biloxi to find the death toll rising steadily.

"This is far worse than any of the worst case scenarios we thought we would ever have to deal with", said one law enforcement official from Long Beach.

Ten people have so far been reported dead in Jackson County, home to Pascalouga.

"The magnitude of it is mind-boggling," a Mississippi congressman, Gene Taylor, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. "I'm guessing tens of thousands of homes are gone."

While everyone here was hard hit by Katrina, not everyone was affected in the same way. The wealthy lost property on the seafront. But the lives and the livelihoods of the poor without cars to escape, sturdy homes to protect them and insurance to fall back on, were the most vulnerable.

In one of the poorest states in the country, where black people earn half as much as white people, this has taken on a racial dimension

"People who live in poverty and don't have the means to evacuate were definitely more likely to perish," said Michael Matthews, an African American who was nudging his car slowly up the four-hour queue for petrol in Lucedale.

"The president is flying down here tomorrow in a plane, to tell us we can only use 20 gallons of gas. I think they are taking advantage."

In Yvonne Trailer park in Lucedale, residents hold out little hope of speedy government help.

"I don't think we'll see any of that here," said Raybelle Perrymon, sitting in the shade on her wheelchair, stricken by polio. She is an elderly black woman cared for by a younger white man, Charles Childens, who shares her trailer and her Kools.

She cannot get her disability benefit because the banks are closed. That means she cannot pay her rent or buy food. "We need help, but I don't think we're going to get any, until everybody else has gotten theirs," she said. Mr Childens nodded. "We need something to eat," he said. "We need it pretty soon."

Lives, like the trees, have been uprooted, and some have returned home to find almost nothing as it was.

"Look down," Maureen Burnett told a New York Times reporter as she searched for her mother in Pass Christian. "See that kitchen table? That's her table ... the house ain't there."

Pascalouga residents expressed frustration with the relief effort, complaining it was too slow in doling out provisions and information. "We can't wait for the kind of help they are giving," said Sharon Jones, sitting on her porch.

"The lines [for handouts] are ridiculous. You need to wait five or six hours for water and ice and that's all the authorities are giving. I've got food for one more day; after that I'll have to pray."

Ms Jones said her mother had lost everything.

"They keep telling us to call Fema [the Federal Emergency Management Agency]. When we try to call we can't get through; she's just lucky I'm here."

Petrol curbs are getting tighter and last night people could only buy $30 (£16) worth of fuel. Many petrol stations are closed, forcing people like Rover Furnas to make a 40-mile round trip to fill up his car.

"This situation has had a severe mental effect on everybody, but as for a physical effect, well, that has hurt some a lot more than others," he said.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
manda

I just googled up a large scale map and from the looks of it, the city is virtually surrounded by water. The lake that is pouring into the city may just as well be the ocean. It appears that the city has been fighting to keep the water out for sometime-----just shoring up old levees and building new ones almost every year. The satillite pictures show that the whole city is flooded. I hope they get it up and ready by Mardi Gras but like you, I wouldn't bet on it.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Ocean Breeze said:
gotta ask.;-) is being lynched an "uplifting" feeling??? :wink: ...)

There is a famous death certificate for a lynched man in the American Old West, filed sometime during the 1870s.

"He died," the doctor wrote, "of stoppage of the breath, while attending a local uplift meeting."

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
I just heard a representative of the American Red Cross say that the reason they are not going into New Orleans is because they are a Relief & Assistance service not a Search & Rescue service.

Finding 30,000 people loitering around a football field, and more around a convention centre wouldn’t tax the searching capacity of a backward eight-year-old child, and I though that by putting them in those locations they were pre-Rescued.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I just heard a representative of the American Red Cross say that the reason they are not going into New Orleans is because they are a Relief & Assistance service not a Search & Rescue service.

oh dear. Something "stinks"...

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Be very careful when you are asked for donations for this cause,unless,of course,you are a supporter of Robertson and ilk. this is one cause I refuse to give a penny to.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Did New Orleans Catas

Yup. They'll funnel the money to the snake-oil salesmen and the people who need it won't see a penny. It's ridiculous, but it's the kind of thing that's bound to happen when you run a country on the twin religions of greed and fundamentalism.

media

Aug 14, 2005
media wrote:
WHAT YOU WON'T SEE ON TV

In the heart of America, my spouse mentioned that there were huricane victims in our city. As far away as we are, I did not believe this. So I called a couple hotels and asked. In 20 minutes I found 19 people. This was yesturday.
I called the local pizza restaurant, and they fed them for dinner that night. While there visiting with them to see what they needed, I saw two fellow small business owners that are clients of mine. One volunteered to buy dinner the next night and the other (owning three fast food restaurants) offered to provide a meal also. (This man had just finished helping load 2 semi trailors full of bottled water that he donated to the relief effort)
I found out that one family was towing a family car for the other family that was broke down. One call to a local mechanic who I had only met once and a free parts and repair were provided. One of the young adult children (22) has a cracked tooth that is hurting him. One call to a local dentist and he has a free appointment tommorow at 4pm.
A place to live? Local church camp is providing all of thier accomadations for free, and volunteers from the church will be cooking meals daily. A different local church will be giving my new friends from New Orleans a home to stay in for free as soon as it is ready. The home needs minor repairs.
You might not see this story on the news, but you will find it across the nation in cities like this one.
My spouse works for a radio station. They did a four hour remote and raised $2,300. from people entering a grocery store and recieved a standing ovation from the local Red Cross board. But what only a few people saw was the 4-year-old little girl who brought a teddy bear and her jar of pennies to give. Her whole savings.
By tommorow our city will recieve over 300 people that are going to stay in the Armory and other shelters. I have no doubt that we will pull together as a community and help them all.
[/b]
that is awesome to hear. Whereabouts is this??? Keep up the excellent work.......and hope it is contageous.

UPDATE FROM MEDIA

Don't have much time, have to run....

Spouse's radio station has now raised over $6,000 for the Red Cross (in two days) lots of the people that gave (they were set up between a grocery store and a bank in a parking lot) were obviously not wealthy and assuming from some of the vehicles that they were driving that were falling apart, could not afford to give but did anyway. There are now over 300 refugees that they have shipped into this area. They have opened up the armory to house some until we can find better shelters. The local chuches are helping by the hundreds. They are cooking and delivering meals to all the hotels, the armory, and the campground.
The campground had enough donations from the community to where the main building was set up like a store and people were allowed to take anything they needed. From shaving cream to pillows and toys.
This area is located in central Arkansas to answer the other question. Got to go! Have to visit our new cajun friends.

[/u]

media

Aug 14, 2005
Restaurants here are also donating food vouchers. Just got done checking on our "adopted family". Doing better but still in shock. :D

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
media said:
Restaurants here are also donating food vouchers. Just got done checking on our "adopted family". Doing better but still in shock. :D

One can hardly begin to imagine the trauma they have gone through. This is a terrific humanitarian....."feel good" story and keep up the wonderful work. Great counter point to all the tragic info..... coming out.

BRAVO !!

media

Aug 14, 2005
One can hardly begin to imagine the trauma they have gone through. This is a terrific humanitarian....."feel good" story and keep up the wonderful work. Great counter point to all the tragic info..... coming out.

BRAVO !!

Thank you for the inspiring support Ocean. I would also like to mention that for the first time that I am aware of in American history, over 1 dozen countries have stepped up to offer us help. We are so very grateful.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
media said:

BRAVO !!

Thank you for the inspiring support Ocean. I would also like to mention that for the first time that I am aware of in American history, over 1 dozen countries have stepped up to offer us help. We are so very grateful.

It is reassuring to see that politics and "feelings' can be put aside and humanitarianism /good will take priority....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
US 'slow response' to Hurricane Katrina was deliberate

While TV news presenters keeps asking why the government tool so long to save the victims of Hurricane Katrina, evidence is beginning to emerge that US officials may have delberately prevented attempts to rescue thousands of people in affected cities.

BBC News has learned that FEMA officials deliberately prevented major convoys of heavy lorries carrying water, food, medicine, and other supplies essential for the survival of victims, from reaching towns and cities suffering in the aftermath Hurricane Katrina. When the first FEMA lorries began to arrive today, BBC reporters said "this is the first time we've seen this sign," pointing to the "FEMA" signs displayed on white A4 cards in the windscreens of the lorries.

"This lorry driver loaded his truck on Monday but his bosses prevented him from coming here to these people until today." (BBC News 24, Sat, 3 Sep 05, 12:41 GMT.)

If we are to have a truly objective debate about what went wrong, we must consider every possibility, including the theory that right-wing, wealthy white men, in the US regime could have used this disaster as an opportunity to facilitate some ethnic cleansing and clear away a swathe of the poor, Black underclass whose very existance undermines the myth of freedom, democracy, prosperity, and the American dream. It would not be the first time in history that a government has taken action of this type. Ethnic cleansing in the USA today may seem impossible, even unthinkable, but let us not forget that only recently the SU regime presided over military action that killed hundreds of thousands of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Like it or not, racism is as widespread as ever in modern America, and the sad truth is many Americans would not lose any sleep about fencing-off a few thousand "niggers" and letting them die. That is what has happened here and now in modern America in the poor, ugly shanty towns of the deep south.

FURTHER READING

Experts predicted what would happen:-

CNN, "Expert: Katrina could unleash disaster", 29 August 2005.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/katrina.doomsday/

media

Aug 14, 2005
UPDATE ON WHAT YOU WON'T SEE ON TV

We are now trying to find our "adopted" friends permanent housing, as they do not have any destination to go. EVERYONE they knew was in New Orleans. Chuch ladies are still preparing full course meals and serving meals at the campground where we are temporarily housing. They are also still delivering meals to hotels and shelters.

SIDE NOTE
I would like to know if the media that is critical of relief efforts are bringing food and supplies and giving rides out of the New Orleans area when they are going there to do news reports?