Death Penalty.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How else to change a persons mind.
Only discussion, reasonable as such will do that.
Cause that person pause for thought.
Who was the US Governor that commuted all DP sentences after 4 cases, 1 from law students proved thier innocence. Then 3 more were found. Including Police corruption if I recall correctly.

How many times has an innocent person been murdered by Law.
I was quite fascinated by TBones explaining how their system works...if you are charged you are screwed it would seem unless you have money. It's very much an adversarial system

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was quite fascinated by TBones explaining how their system works...if you are charged you are screwed it would seem unless you have money. It's very much an adversarial system

Even new evidence that clears a person under various SC rulings is not admissible.
There is an article that breaks down DP sentences by county, in the US.
Not evenly applied.
I wish I could find it. Eye opening to say the least.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm also starting to come along to the idea that death is a bit too easy. Its like turning off a light - they won't have to live with what they did. Personally I think thats probably harder than dying.

The big assumption here is that a convicted killer regrets what they did: not all of them do and to me, those are the monsters in human guise.

I go back and forth on the Death Penalty but pretty much believe in it on a limited basis. Call me a barbarian, vengeful or whatever: this is my honest opinion and no amount of politically correct brow beating is going to affect it. My issue with the death penalty is simply that a guilty verdict requires "beyond a reasonable doubt" whereas I think I death penalty should have to be "beyond any doubt". My poster child for being pro-death penalty is Clifford Olsen. I look at his case and wonder what possible benefit keeping that sadistic SOB alive serves, aside to torture the families of his victims, with his teasing about possible body stashes and his parole applications. I am not a Christian. I am vengeful. I think "rehabilitation" of cons should be secondary to the protection of society and in terms of convicted killers its a bad joke.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The big assumption here is that a convicted killer regrets what they did: not all of them do and to me, those are the monsters in human guise.

I go back and forth on the Death Penalty but pretty much believe in it on a limited basis. Call me a barbarian, vengeful or whatever: this is my honest opinion and no amount of politically correct brow beating is going to affect it. My issue with the death penalty is simply that a guilty verdict requires "beyond a reasonable doubt" whereas I think I death penalty should have to be "beyond any doubt". My poster child for being pro-death penalty is Clifford Olsen. I look at his case and wonder what possible benefit keeping that sadistic SOB alive serves, aside to torture the families of his victims, with his teasing about possible body stashes and his parole applications. I am not a Christian. I am vengeful. I think "rehabilitation" of cons should be secondary to the protection of society and in terms of convicted killers its a bad joke.

Clifford would be on my list of acceptables too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Accused if I recall?

You're probably right, but I'm not sure I'd be much happier if I was confronted by 3 accused murderers. -:)

Clifford would be on my list of acceptables too.

Darren Hueneman would be another candidate too in my books, not only a murderer but a coward involving two other people. Got his own mother and granny offed.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Did mark Fuhrman admit to planting evidence, or are you blowing smoke again?....link?

We have only discussed this particular matter on this forum about three dozen times but, somehow, you still FAIL to do your homework assignment.

Here for about the 30th is a blurb that comes from right out of TV and the courts:

''The "Fuhrman Tapes" contain eighteen examples of Detective Fuhrman admitting participation in police misconduct, or offering approving comments with respect to misconduct. This misconduct includes illegal use of deadly force, beating suspects to extract confessions, planting evidence, framing innocent persons, and lying or covering up misconduct by others.''

My World and Welcome... Info Pages: Excerpts from the Fuhrman Tapes

----------------------

Sorry about the Broken Record, Eagle. But the guy asked for it again.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Here's 2 of thousands of cases as to why the Death Penalty should be used sparingly. I realize the first case may not have warranted the DP, but wrongful convictions are rampant.......

New York City has agreed to pay $40 million to five men who were convicted, and later exonerated, of brutally raping a female jogger in Central Park in 1989, settling a long-fought civil rights lawsuit, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The violent attack, which became known as the Central Park jogger case, made national headlines as a sign that the city’s crime rate had spiraled out of control, while the outcome of the prosecution raised questions about race and the justice system.

The victim was white and the defendants all black or Hispanic.

The five men – Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana, Korey Wise and Yusef Salaam – were between 14 and 16 years of age at the time of the rape and confessed after lengthy police interrogations.

Each soon recanted, insisting they had admitted to the crime under the duress of exhaustion and coercion from police officers.

Another man confessed to the crime years later.

The victim, Trisha Meili, a 28-year-old investment banker, nearly died from the attack and was left with no memory of it.

The five men were convicted in 1990 amid intense media coverage. A dozen years later, murderer and serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed to the crime, and DNA tied him to the rape.

N.Y. City to pay $40 million to end 'Central Park Jogger' lawsuit: source | Reuters

Man exonerated of killing after 25 years in jail to sue New York for $162m

Jonathan Fleming, 52, was imprisoned over friend's death in Brooklyn in 1989 – but had his conviction dismissed in April

By filing what's called a notice of claim on Tuesday, Jonathan Fleming has made a first move toward suing the city over case that put him in prison for nearly 25 years. He was freed and his conviction dismissed in April after the Brooklyn district attorney's office said it now agrees he had a valid alibi.

"I think this is the first step toward getting him what he rightfully deserves," his lawyer Taylor Koss said.

The city comptroller's office, which fields such notices and sometimes settles them, had no immediate comment Tuesday.

Fleming, 52, was convicted of shooting a friend in Brooklyn in August 1989, though he had told authorities he was on a family vacation in Orlando, Florida, and had plane tickets, videos and other material to show it. Prosecutors at the time suggested he could have flown back and forth to New York for the killing, and a woman testified that she had seen him commit the crime.

That witness later recanted her testimony, and defense investigators located witnesses who pointed to someone else as the gunman. Then, prosecutors' review of authorities' files turned up documents backing Fleming's alibi, including a hotel receipt that he paid in Florida about five hours before the shooting.

Police evidently found it in Fleming's pocket when he was arrested, but authorities never provided it to his prior defense lawyer. Nor did they turn over a 1989 Orlando police letter telling New York detectives some employees at an Orlando hotel remembered Fleming.

The authorities' conduct led to Fleming "suffering in prison for nearly 25 years for a crime that he didn't commit," according to his notice of claim.

Wrongfully convicted people often can pursue federal civil-rights lawsuits and claims under state laws, but some claims are resolved before going to court. In a recent example, the city comptroller's office settled for $6.4m with David Ranta after Brooklyn prosecutors last year disavowed his 1990 conviction in the killing of a rabbi. He'd filed a $150m notice of claim.

After Fleming's release, an online crowd-funding campaign raised almost $50,000 for him. He also has been looking for a job, Koss said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/18/man-acquitted-1989-killing-new-york-damages

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Even new evidence that clears a person under various SC rulings is not admissible.
There is an article that breaks down DP sentences by county, in the US.
Not evenly applied.
I wish I could find it. Eye opening to say the least.
yes, that part is frightening

Here's 2 of thousands of cases as to why the Death Penalty should be used sparingly. I realize the first case may not have warranted the DP, but wrongful convictions are rampant.......
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/18/man-acquitted-1989-killing-new-york-damages
and oops is not good enough

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Spent 36 Years in Jail for a Murder He Didn’t Commit

The amount of evidence that was suppressed is significant, to say the least.

Two weeks before McGarry’s disappearance in November of 1978, he reportedly went to his ex-wife Gail Stanley and expressed fear that he was in danger. McGarry had been caught embezzling tens of thousands of dollars from Paisano and was “scared, worried, and agitated” by his former colleagues. He told her he “worried what might happen if he stayed in town.”

Two weeks before McGarry’s disappearance in November of 1978, he reportedly went to his ex-wife Gail Stanley and expressed fear that he was in danger. McGarry had been caught embezzling tens of thousands of dollars from Paisano and was “scared, worried, and agitated” by his former colleagues. He told her he “worried what might happen if he stayed in town.”

Stanley was never called to the witness stand in the case, despite having incredibly relevant details about the weeks leading up to McGarry’s murder.

According to Hanline’s lawsuit, she was visited by TWO PROSECUTORS PRE-TRIAL and told they were “desperate” to convict Hanline. They said that [THEY KNEW] employees at Paisano had killed McGarry to “make an example of him,” but that they were going to stick with the love triangle Hanline story in order to convict him.

Judge Andrew Wistrich ruled that there had in fact been numerous EXCULPATORY DOCUMENTS SUPPRESSED and “serious discovery-related constitutional violations.”

more

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/18/36-years-for-a-murder-he-didn-t-commit.html

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Reactions: petros and taxslave

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What is there one can do or not do to be absolutely sure of avoiding death. If you don't kill these f*ckers someone else could die! :)