Death Penalty.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
DNA evidence isn't available in every case.

Not yet. But we're well on our way to having a fully monitored society so soon there should be no errors.

The type of offenders I'd agree to have "done off with" are such that accidental conviction would be practically impossible. The psycho profile of serial killers is pretty spot on.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I do not support the death penalty...never have and it has nothing to do with my spiritual beliefs.

I have toyed with the idea and at one point thought that it should be used on the most heinous of crimes. Now I say no. They should not be released ever and they should be treated humanely but society needs to be protected from such individuals forever.

The chance of murdering one innocent in error is not justified ever.

so that means that you are against the death penalty, correct?
no. I support the death penalty, I just don't want any innocents wrongly killed. to put things in perspective. if people did bad things to me or my family I would want them dead.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The chance of murdering one innocent in error is not justified ever.

Thats is one of the main reasons I am against it. You need a perfect system to guarantee an innocent person will not be executed. Given we are human I doubt that perfect system will be coming along anytime soon. Im also starting to come along to the idea that death is a bit too easy. Its like turning off a light - they won't have to live with what they did. Personally I think thats probably harder than dying.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
no. I support the death penalty, I just don't want any innocents wrongly killed. to put things in perspective. if people did bad things to me or my family I would want them dead.
innocents have died, so how can you support it?

are you willing to die to support it, if you are not, then how can you justify it?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Then I guess you won't be worried about later finding him innocent from DNA.

If a person is found innocent with DNA evidence then that means there was DNA evidence available. There are other ways to find out if a person was innocent or not.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thats is one of the main reasons I am against it. You need a perfect system to guarantee an innocent person will not be executed. Given we are human I doubt that perfect system will be coming along anytime soon. Im also starting to come along to the idea that death is a bit too easy. Its like turning off a light - they won't have to live with what they did. Personally I think thats probably harder than dying.
I agree fully with your post.

The thing enslaved people are willing to die for is freedom, thus freedom is more precious than life itself.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Anybody would 'want' that in those circumstances or, at the very least, feel that way. But how would you know, I mean really know, if the theoretical people who did bad things to you or your family were actually the ones who did it or not? I'm sure Christine Jessup's father "knew" that Guy Paul Morin did horrible things to his daughter, but as it turns out he didn't. The thing is, you can never, ever know unless you witness the event first hand. And how often does that happen?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

I'd go one step further, anyone killed any of my family members... I'll personally plant them 6 feet under.

The death penalty is a deterrent, doesn't always work because the bad guys always think they won't get caught, or they don't care.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
no. I support the death penalty, I just don't want any innocents wrongly killed.

In theory that is how its supposed to work in places where it is still used. In practice it isn't always so. If the state executes an innocent person the blood is on the hands of all of its citizens as it was done with their money in their name. Its not worth the risk to me.

The death penalty is a deterrent, doesn't always work because the bad guys always think they won't get caught, or they don't care.

If that were true Texas would have one one of the lowest murder rates in the US. They are far from that. Oddly the non-death penalty states tend to have the lower murder rates. Even Im a bit confused by that. Unless killers are suicidal I'm not sure what the cause behind those numbers is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'd go one step further, anyone killed any of my family members... I'll personally plant them 6 feet under.

I think there are times when it is suitable, BUT, guilt must be proven beyond ANY doubt, and probably only for a 2nd or subsequent serious offense. Unfortunately there are a few animals that don't warrant being fed and maintained for the rest of their natural life.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I had a co-worker who knew a guy that had been convicted for a certain crime (don't recall what it was at the moment). The DNA evidence matched the guy who was convicted. About 5 or 6 years later, the convicted guy's brother was found to have committed the same crime in another state. When the DNA was re-examined, it turned out to belong to that brother who skipped town rather than face charges. Therefore, even DNA is not entirely reliable and can still result in the conviction of an innocent person.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anybody would 'want' that in those circumstances or, at the very least, feel that way.

Not everyone. One big example would be the Kennedy's doing their best to make sure Sirhan Sirhan would not be executed for killing RFK. They failed in that he was sentenced to death but he was never executed. John Lennon's family has also said they would not have wanted Mark David Chapman executed. In both cases it was because they believed that the murder victim would not have wanted that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I had a co-worker who knew a guy that had been convicted for a certain crime (don't recall what it was at the moment). The DNA evidence matched the guy who was convicted. About 5 or 6 years later, the convicted guy's brother was found to have committed the same crime in another state. When the DNA was re-examined, it turned out to belong to that brother who skipped town rather than face charges. Therefore, even DNA is not entirely reliable and can still result in the conviction of an innocent person.

That would make sense with identical twins.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not everyone. One big example would be the Kennedy's doing their best to make sure Sirhan Sirhan would not be executed for killing RFK. They failed in that he was sentenced to death but he was never executed. John Lennon's family has also said they would not have wanted Mark David Chapman executed. In both cases it was because they believed that the murder victim would not have wanted that.

No, I know. I didn't mean actively want it, but certainly I can empathize with the notion of wishing harm upon those who do you harm. Even if it's just a flash of a thought. And while the logic may have prevailed in those cases as to put forth the sentiment that spoke on behalf of the victim, I can't believe that not even a single one of them had a dark thought or two, even if only momentarily.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No, I know. I didn't mean actively want it, but certainly I can empathize with the notion of wishing harm upon those who do you harm. Even if it's just a flash of a thought. And while the logic may have prevailed in those cases as to put forth the sentiment that spoke on behalf of the victim, I can't believe that not even a single one of them had a dark thought or two, even if only momentarily.
I believe I would have lots of dark thoughts some of which would include my active participation in their demise...however fleeing fantasies are not the same as support.

My deepest fear would be the wrong person dying... I never could understand people who are all hell bent on having someone put to death when the evidence clearly points to innocence..however that is emotional blindness and nothing clears that type of vision.

Especially not truth.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I believe I would have lots of dark thoughts some of which would include my active participation in their demise...however fleeing fantasies are not the same as support.

Exactly. My take on a lot of 'supporters' is that it seems to be purely an emotional reaction which, while certainly understandable, really needs to be tempered by logic and rational thought.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There is one aspect of our "justice" system that gives me second thought. Too many disreputable judges and prosecutors, who are overwhelmed with their own sense of self importance that they don't really give a sh*t for anyone else (cops fit into this too). One blaring example is the David Milgaard case. I think at times convictions translate into promotions!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Exactly. My take on a lot of 'supporters' is that it seems to be purely an emotional reaction which, while certainly understandable, really needs to be tempered by logic and rational thought.
exactly right

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Those that support a Death Penalty.
If you have a religious belief(s), how do you reconcile those beliefs with a death penalty

Myself, I would rather see them rot in prison till the end of their days.

Right to life trumps the courts.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, if moral arguments don't persuade, why broach the subject?

How else to change a persons mind.
Only discussion, reasonable as such will do that.
Cause that person pause for thought.
Who was the US Governor that commuted all DP sentences after 4 cases, 1 from law students proved thier innocence. Then 3 more were found. Including Police corruption if I recall correctly.

How many times has an innocent person been murdered by Law.