Death: Final or Not?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So, that's a couple people here who have said our bodies go back to the earth... are you guys planning for green burials? Or conventional? Because, in a conventional burial, you are essentially mummified, and don't go back to the earth.

Oh very green baby very green. I've already booked and paid for Cannabis fairies to toss chronic about the mourners and burial site. Smudge pots of Haze on the four corners of my pit and a head stone with a perpetual selection of my favourite spliff rolling tunes that come on in random order when someone comes to visit and share a blunt. I'm taking a block of Charas with me so there will always be some around.

An upright bass going over Joco's repertoire during the service and the punch during the wake afterwards will be spiked with Bacardi 151 so be sure to ride your bike or catch on the the many rickshaws with slightly toasted drivers to ferry you back across the void.

Please bring your own papers. Bongs welcome too! :cool:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Philosophy Discussion

Quite right, Cliffy. Even to say that there is no afterlife is pure speculation, we have no way of knowing. But I take the position that no afterlife is the default position, if anybody takes any other position; they have the burden of proof.

Death. Final or Not? I think not.

I have no opinion on God or Gods, Heaven or Hell, which religion is correct, etc....
It's all irrelevant in my world view. Seeing as I'm not recruiting anyone to my view
on how things work, the burden of proof in my position is as irrelevant as the
other things I've already mentioned.

Reactions: karrie

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"As to coyote, they don’t call him the wily coyote for nothing. White settlers in USA managed to make the wolf almost extinct, but coyote thrived in spite of the best efforts of the white Christians to stamp them out. Coyote was never in danger of extinction. The more whites tried to exterminate coyote, the more he thrived."

Just a wild guess, but I would think that NOT all ranchers, who considered the coyote and the wolf pests, are WHITE. Or even Christian.

Your provocative, mindless and racist comment is no surprise. Perfectly natural coming from a troll, who manages to turn even a philosophical discussion into a racist diatribe.

Most of them were white Christians, YJ, much as you may not like to admit it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

I have no opinion on God or Gods, Heaven or Hell, which religion is correct, etc....
It's all irrelevant in my world view. Seeing as I'm not recruiting anyone to my view

Here is the problem, Ron. Many people make all kinds of claims about the afterlife; there is no way to prove any of them.

Now, we cannot see the afterlife. As far as we know, it doesn’t exist (leaving aside what anybody may believe). So the default position has to be that there is no afterlife, and if somebody says there is, it is up to him to prove it.

Let me give you an example. Say there is a rose bud on a rose bush at night. When you get up in the morning, you see a rose flower. Now somebody says that at night, a fairy came, breathed into the bud and turned it into a flower.

You don’t know firsthand that it didn’t happen, it could have happened that way. You obviously were not up all night sitting by the bush.

But the default position has to be that it didn’t happen that way, and if somebody claims that a fairy came at night and did that, the burden is upon him to prove it. It is analogous with afterlife and religion.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Ponder this; When a blind man turns on a light switch, and doesn't see any light, does it mean it doesn't exist????

Reactions: Ron in Regina

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Most of them were white Christians, YJ, much as you may not like to admit it.

I think that would be fairly obvious, but completely gratuitous. I would venture to say, with as much authority as you have, that the majority of the settlers of the day were Christians. There is no point in mentioning it, except to suggest some connection that doesn't exist.

It's a cheap shot, but we expect nothing less.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It wouldn't be any different from before you were born, is it? Several billion years (since the beginning of the universe, since the big bang) went quite quickly, didn't they? This is the same.

What was it like before this life? Maybe I was Henry the VIII.

But yes, if all it is is one giant sleep you pretty much go from death to the end of time in a flash.