Death: Final or Not?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In the end, everything is just speculation: religion, economics, politics, psychology, philosophy.... it is just the mind entertaining itself with possibilities.

(Oh, and the canine in my avatar is a coyote - the trickster)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep, it's the old Monty Hall problem from Let's Make a Deal. Did you miss that thread? Haven't seen you around much lately and it's dropped off the front page. Guess it depends what people read, what they believe, and what they can convince themselves of what they want to believe. That last one is particularly seductive to a certain kind of mind (which seems to be most minds, frankly), and in my not very humble opinion accounts for the continuing existence of exactly 100% of all the New Age Wankologies, and the Ancient Wankologies like astrology, that infest this society. Reiki, iridology, graphology, astrology, dowsing, telepathy, chiropractic, homeopathy, talking to the dead, Mayan prophecies for 2012, UFOs, the Real! Meaning! Of! The! Book! Of! Revelation!!!, 9/11 conspiracies, chemtrails, H1N1, ... Ach, the list is endless and covered with BS too thin to shovel.
... and don't wanna get close enough to use the paint scraper. Gotcha.
I hope all is well over there on the flatspot. :)
I think I am home for the rest of the year now. Was at 3 large fires this year: Lillouet, Kloneville, and Clinton.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Speaking of vehicles, our bodies are organic vehicles. Perhaps only the vehicle dies or at least ceases to function as a vehicle. It decomposes and is integrated into other forms. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but it seems to me to be such a waste if all the accumulated knowledge and wisdom (some) of us gain over a lifetime to have it just go nowhere. I think it would make more sense if our consciousness with all that accumulated knowledge and wisdom becomes part of the collective consciousness of the species. I think that is how the species evolves.
Interesting, but by now I'd would think after dozens of billions of dead people, we'd have figured out how to get rid of politics or at least how to use it to human advantage rather than a bane as well as finally figuring out that war is stupid and wasteful.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Interesting, but by now I'd would think after dozens of billions of dead people, we'd have figured out how to get rid of politics or at least how to use it to human advantage rather than a bane as well as finally figuring out that war is stupid and wasteful.

I guess some people are slower than others. I think it would really help if people were less like sheep and more like leaders.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If it's nothing then the next stop is literally the end of time. That deep sleep would go by quick. Kind of a weird thought.

It wouldn't be any different from before you were born, is it? Several billion years (since the beginning of the universe, since the big bang) went quite quickly, didn't they? This is the same.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Death is final, but you ( which means all of your body) do get to spend the 'lifetime' of the earth, in the earth,
a pretty cozy place to be.

Well yes, in a way it is. But as scientists put it, life has no beginning nor end. The molecules of our bodies become part of the world and they in turn feed other lives.

So in a way we die, but in another sense, we very much remain part of the life cycle here on earth.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
In the end, everything is just speculation: religion, economics, politics, psychology, philosophy.... it is just the mind entertaining itself with possibilities.

(Oh, and the canine in my avatar is a coyote - the trickster)

Quite right, Cliffy. Even to say that there is no afterlife is pure speculation, we have no way of knowing. But I take the position that no afterlife is the default position, if anybody takes any other position; they have the burden of proof.

As to coyote, they don’t call him the wily coyote for nothing. White settlers in USA managed to make the wolf almost extinct, but coyote thrived in spite of the best efforts of the white Christians to stamp them out. Coyote was never in danger of extinction. The more whites tried to exterminate coyote, the more he thrived.

Coyote is a very adaptable animal, it can adapt to almost any kind of surroundings. Truly he Wile E. Coyote.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
As always, it's never a simple answer. Perception is everything.

I think when you die, that's it for you. You no longer register anything as though in a deep dreamless sleep. You're body of course changes as it breaks down into the simplest components and that it goes on to feed other living organisms there is a sense that you do go on and on eventually making up part of the next person in that those bugs and critters that eat them eventually make it up the food chain to someone who produces an offspring.

As far as your own perception of who you are, it's game over.

So make what you can of the time allotted to you now. Heaven or hell is what you make of it. If you are happy, it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, smart or dumb, healthy or not so much. As well I think good works attracts good fortune.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, that's a couple people here who have said our bodies go back to the earth... are you guys planning for green burials? Or conventional? Because, in a conventional burial, you are essentially mummified, and don't go back to the earth.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
If there's enough faith in the future ..Which I believe there is ..There will always be something greater... Just gotta believe.and everyone does in the end..

all bless ..God bless

Everything is energy and information - the rest is recyclable waste ..

live life to the fullest .. believe in the future ... Think of more than yourself .. Big G will take you into himself ... Believe in only yourself ..God'll zap ya ..:p

Peace ..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well yes, in a way it is. But as scientists put it, life has no beginning nor end. The molecules of our bodies become part of the world and they in turn feed other lives.

So in a way we die, but in another sense, we very much remain part of the life cycle here on earth.

Yes, but quite a coincidence that I'm alive and aware at this exact moment of the history of the universe. There are a lot of goats behind doors in that situation.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"As to coyote, they don’t call him the wily coyote for nothing. White settlers in USA managed to make the wolf almost extinct, but coyote thrived in spite of the best efforts of the white Christians to stamp them out. Coyote was never in danger of extinction. The more whites tried to exterminate coyote, the more he thrived."

Just a wild guess, but I would think that NOT all ranchers, who considered the coyote and the wolf pests, are WHITE. Or even Christian.

Your provocative, mindless and racist comment is no surprise. Perfectly natural coming from a troll, who manages to turn even a philosophical discussion into a racist diatribe.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
So, that's a couple people here who have said our bodies go back to the earth... are you guys planning for green burials? Or conventional? Because, in a conventional burial, you are essentially mummified, and don't go back to the earth.
I plan on getting cremated and my ashes blown to the wind....I figure having paid taes, rent and such all my life...I ain't gonna pay rent in a cemetery plot after I die...and as far as the rest....I'm gonna hedge my bet by saying a prayer ....just before I die....It worked for that thief besides Jesus..;-)