Day of prayer is unconstitutional

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Nobody ever discusses "The Holly Ghost".......he's my favorite of three;-)

Yeah, Christian's think Christ is God as the Holy Trinity. NOT!

God can be a holy spirit though, maybe a father to us, and us being his sons.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
So as Christians pray upwards to Jesus and create a spagetti like mess out of the situation, God is telling us to do as the Catholics and let God pray for his people downstream... make sense?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nothing about organized religion makes sense. It's deliberately written that way so you can't write Church out of your own spiritual one-ness. If we all had peace of mind, there would be no need (thus, no profit) for medicine men, witch doctors or clergy.

Last edited:

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Nothing about organized religion makes sense. It's deliberately written that way so you can't write Church out of your own spiritual one-ness. If we all had peace of mind, there would be no need (thus, no profit) for medicine men, witch doctors or clergy.

Gee, I wonder why... Like we are going to organize God for him. Yeah right...

So let God do all the praying, all the religious work and organizing eh?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Cliffy in typical fashion opined:

"Most religious holidays involve spending money on gifts or candies. Is that the case with the Day of Prayer? I mean if the capitalists can't make money on it why have it?"

No, this prayer day - not a national holiday - only encourages people to pray to their respective God, be it Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist (yes, it IS a religion) or whatever for their fellow man, their country, their world.

Anyone who would minimize or denigrate the intention of Prayer Day, or callously declare it to be nothing more than an other money grab, needs his/her minds examined.

Prayer Day is mostly organized by Fundamentalist Christians. Focus on the Family had a big part in it, I don’t know if they still do. Day of Prayer is a great way for Fundamentalist preachers to get themselves some favorable exposure, be in the limelight and thereby increase their take at the Sunday collection plate, or during their television broadcast.

So of course it is about money. I expect it is a great boost to the income of televangelists. It helps to keep them in Champagne and Caviar.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
And in contrast to the US Constitution, Canada's begins:

"CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982
PART I
CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS
Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law..."

It really would be must less hypocritical for Canada to just adopt the British model of a State religion rather than pretend to be non-religious.

God is mentioned in the preamble (I think US constitution also mentions God in the preamble), which is not as important as being included in the main body of the document.

Anyway, it would be nonsense for Canada to adopt an official religion. Which religion would that be? The United Church? They marry homosexuals in their church (used to do it even before it was legalized), how will that go down with conservative, right wing churches? Any church that is accepted as official religion will generate fierce opposition from other churches and also from other religions. It will be a big source of contention and discord. It will generate bitter, long lasting debate. I don’t think we want anything like that in Canada, that is what they do in USA (continue a bitter, passionate, vitriolic debate for decades).

Besides, I am not sure that Canada can adopt an official religion without amending the constitution. If that is the case, then the proposal is dead on arrival.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sure, and unemployment is a job and bald is a hair style.:roll:
... and "off" is a tv channel.

"Sure, and unemployment is a job and bald is a hair style."

Sure, generation after generation of welfare recipients DO consider unemployment a job.

Also, lot of clever people make money serving vain bald people, making tupees, wigs and hair transplants.
Considering unemployment as being a job is not the same as it actually being a job. To actually have a job, one trades their time, energy, and expertise for money. With unemployment, one gets their own money back and does not have to spend time, energy, and expertise making boss happy. That is quite a distinction and I am surprised you missed it.
If one is bald, there is no hair style regardless of what style your wig is.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
In short, we simply cannot compare the US Constitution to the Canadian one. The Canadian one is strongly religious in nature.

I agree that the two constitutions are different in nature (I think Canadian constitution is better, especially our Charter of Rights is a much better document than the Bill of Rights).

However, I disagree with you that Canadian constitution is religious in nature. Nothing of the sort. Supreme Court will crack down on any attempts to establish an official religion, as being against the constitution. I think the clause about freedom to worship in the Charter will very likely be interpreted to mean that the government cannot pick winners and losers when it comes to religion.

Britain has had an official religion for a long time now, traditions die hard over there. If they had to do it over again today, they probably wouldn't have an official religion.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The separation of Church and State in the United States was envisioned to prevent an organized Church from becoming an institutionalized branch of government. It was never meant to outlaw the State from promoting prayer, in favour of an insipid atheism, which is a spiritual belief system of its own, with an implicit political agenda.

That is a relatively new invention, concordant with the post structural ethos that has brought us such atrocities as abortion and euthenasia of the sick. It is promoted by blubbering fools like this judge.. and Christopher Hitchens.

It maybe a recent invention, but it is essential in a pluralistic society. In the old days, when almost all the country was Christian (and the few Atheists were hidden deep in the closet, sometimes afraid for their life), it made sense for the state to sponsor prayers to the Christian God.

But these days, with so many competing religions, with Atheists demanding equal rights as guaranteed by the constitution, it would be totally inappropriate for the government to support any particular religion by sponsoring school prayers.

Personally I don’t see any government in Canada (not even Harper government) supporting any one church over any other (or supporting any one religion over any other).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That's right, prayer in fact bypasses Church and State and is direct communion with God. No one can be forced to pray, but no one can be prevented from doing so either.

Prohibiting the government from sponsoring a day of prayer, as we've seen them sponsor 'Pride Day' events and other abominations, is absurd. In fact it fits into the political agenda of the Church of Atheism.. which is becoming de facto, a branch of the U.S. State.

It is not the Church of Atheism, it is the Church of Secularism. Secularism is different from Atheism. While Atheism states that there is no God, Secularism states that it doesn’t matter if there is a God or not, the government must not favor any one belief over any other.

Thus, government must not sponsor any sectarian prayers, at the same time government must not extol Atheism. That is Secularism. Canada is a secular society, not an Atheistic society.