David Suzuki compares oil sands industry to slavery

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
lol D Suzuki's $8 million starter home. hahaha

living in the Kootenannie wilds, you clearly have no sense of market value and Vancouver housing. Why don't you LOL about the initial cost of that home and how it has risen in value over 50 years or so!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
living in the Kootenannie wilds, you clearly have no sense of market value and Vancouver housing.
Sorry to deflate your poor little balloon, but my sister lives in North Van and her place is atrociously expensive, too. Clearly, you babble on about people without a clue of what you are saying.
Why don't you LOL about the initial cost of that home and how it has risen in value over 50 years or so!
I have no idea which house is his.
So what did it cost when he moved in?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It took some digging and a lot of reading but I found it:
$145,000 in 1975 and he got a loan from his in-laws. How they could ever have lived in such a dive is a mystery.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
It took some digging and a lot of reading but I found it:
$145,000 in 1975 and he got a loan from his in-laws. How they could ever have lived in such a dive is a mystery.

thanks for confirming what I stated... but really, you think $145K represented a "pricey" home in 75 Van? Looks like Suzuki dodged the first of many rises by 6 years or so. It is quite telling that right-wingers admire wealth accumulation... but only for some, hey? And that assessment on that home today... it reflects upon the land.

see, see... we had a meaningful discussion without insults! Perhaps the moderator can be shown to be right... perhaps this board can be shown to be about meaningful discussion. Thanks you for efforts towards that end.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
see, see... we had a meaningful discussion without insults! Perhaps the moderator can be shown to be right... perhaps this board can be shown to be about meaningful discussion. Thanks you for efforts towards that end.

and then you fu ck yourself by doing this. You are not only a fu cking moron, but you are a hypocrite ta boot. Just gotta throw out those back handed "compliments" (read putdowns).

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Good grief!! Capitalism is slavery?

BTW capitalism isn't perfect but its the best system going. You talk about slave labour, that's where the unions came in and fought against that very thing. Now, not so much as they're more into "power and money" than having concern about their workers but that's a topic for another day.

I'm not sure if some people here have heard of "negotiating" but it actually works. If you don't happen to have a "unionized" shop, but you have skills that your employer needs, oftentimes you can negotiate a wage to meet both employer and employee needs as long as it's realistic. You can't do that under communism nor any other style of government. In fact, quite the opposite. If you went to ask for more $$ you'd likely get fired if you're lucky or shot if you weren't.

Are there some employers out there that are greedy and pay their employees crap and don't pay their bills? Sure, but they don't stay in business very long. The one thing I can certainly say though is that there does need to be legislation tightening up so that these creeps can't simply close down shop and start up elsewhere. Having said that I don't know what regulations could be imposed to prevent that very thing from happening but I'm sure the NDP know of a way and I might actually support it! Problem is that the NDP tends to use an axe where a knife would suffice! (again, off topic). sigh....

I also strongly believe that no one should be able to open a business without taking some sort of course in to how to run a business. It amazes me how financially inept people are now-a-days. In Europe (well Germany anyway) you must not only have a business license but a certificate stating that you know how to run the bloody place and they both must be posted for everyone to see. Sure could use that here but again, that's a topic for another day.

JMHO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What an idiot. Mechanical energy from carbon ensured slavery was done in. Coal and gasoline made slavery redundant.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I think I understand Mr. Suzuki. He is saying he doesn't believe the risks to the economy should stop him from freeing us of our jobs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
thanks for confirming what I stated... but really, you think $145K represented a "pricey" home in 75 Van? Looks like Suzuki dodged the first of many rises by 6 years or so. It is quite telling that right-wingers admire wealth accumulation... but only for some, hey? And that assessment on that home today... it reflects upon the land.

Well, a starter home in Kits, even in 1975, would not be my idea of dingy and run down. Nor would it be like a starter home around say, Clark Park in 1975.

Perhaps sticking to the topic helps, ya think?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, a starter home in Kits, even in 1975, would not be my idea of dingy and run down. Nor would it be like a starter home around say, Clark Park in 1975.

Perhaps sticking to the topic helps, ya think?
I think he is sleeping he had a long tough day yesterday .
Probably still smarting from the calm cool smack down he took from your hands .

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Massive carbon footprint.

"It should be a crime to question the science".

He has no ground to take a moral stand on, no matter how utterly ridiculous it is.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Massive carbon footprint.

"It should be a crime to question the science".

He has no ground to take a moral stand on, no matter how utterly ridiculous it is.

Au contraire mon frere.

Mr Suzuki has plenty of ground to stand on by virtue of his multiple homes in addition to a large acreage on Quadra Island.

... So much for taking responsibility for one's carbon foot-print, eh?