Cuba-Bolivia, maybe Canada should get involved

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Jersay said:
why doesn't Canada make agreements with Southern and Central American countries with regards to helping each other's health care, education (for aboriginals and others), and other sources. It is plausible, and it would benefit the Southern and Central American countries as well as Canada.

I don't understand your point. How are we supposed to help each other exactly? Training, exchange programs, incentives for Canadian doctors and teachers to go there, lessons on implementing public health care? Don't get me wrong, I'm for health care and education, especially for marginalized and often ignored groups, but I'm having trouble with what you're suggesting.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
A diversified economy is the issue at hand.

If Canadian businesses find a market for their products in those countrys, what's the problem? You said yourself, government doesn't dictate where products are sold. If they demand and it's worth it, we'll supply. :)

twotoques

Jan 7, 2006
South Bruce Peninsula
I've been talking about this topic for a couple of years now.

The US government has proved numerous time that it can't be trusted to abide by international agreements and treaties.

It's just common sense that we should be trying to make deals with our next closest neighbours in the Caribbean, South & Central America.

These democratically elected governments are probably going to form their own trade agreements. Canada should be involved as much and as soon as possible.

I often wonder why we don't hear more about the whole continent south of us on our news media. Especially the CBC.

Lots of reports from & about the US, the EU, the Middle East, & Africa. We even get news from Australia. But hardly a sound bite about this whole continent in our own hemisphere. Canadians know less about SA than Americans know about their biggest trading partner, Canada.

It's important that Canada form more & closer ties with South American democratic governments & people.

Our government should be supporting them when certain other administrations start fomenting civil unrest, paying assassins and training death squads to overthrow these popular governments.

A couple of weeks ago I heard an interview of some of the more prosperous Bolivians who are threatening civil unrest or even civil war if Morales won the election.

Sounds like someone is already interfering. I wonder who that could be.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Said1 said:
I think not said:

If Canadian businesses find a market for their products in those countrys, what's the problem? You said yourself, government doesn't dictate where products are sold. If they demand and it's worth it, we'll supply. :)

There is no problem, that was point.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
Said1 said:
I think not said:

Oh, no. Did I miss the point, again?

Man, I hate that. :oops:

OMG, ignore me totally. I'm still asleep.

Toro

Senate Member
Re: RE: Cuba-Bolivia, maybe Canada should get involved

twotoques said:
It's just common sense that we should be trying to make deals with our next closest neighbours in the Caribbean, South & Central America.

I agree. Canada should have been part of CAFTA. Of course, Canada wants to be a part of the FTAA, but that's being hung up for the time being. Lets get a free trade for the entire hemisphere done>

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Said1 said:
I think not said:
Said1 said:
I think not said:

Oh, no. Did I miss the point, again?

Man, I hate that. :oops:

I guess the question is, will/should Canada negotiate independent trade deals outside of CAFTA?

Am I close?

What I was saying is that the Canadian government should execute trade agreements and let the laws of economics run its course. I just don't understand how sometimes people say Canada should stop trading with the US and trade with another country as if the government has anything to do with markets.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
[

What I was saying is that the Canadian government should execute trade agreements and let the laws of economics run its course. I just don't understand how sometimes people say Canada should stop trading with the US and trade with another country as if the government has anything to do with markets.

See above edit. I should be sawing logs instead of posting. :oops:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Chainsaws, Said1 ?

Sawing logs ?

Now there's an economic activity, like a butterfly
in Canada sending a ripple in the air that bumps
the movement of a leaf that drops a worm to the ground
that gets eaten up by a bird who poops on someone's
windsheild who has no wiper fluid and goes to Walmart
with a few loonies and spies a really cheap laptop
and adds that to the bill and goes home sets up
an account and WiFi's into the cyber space and notices
the heat stove needs another stick of wood but
the woodpile needs replenishing, so "said" person
goes out to cut a tree and becomes healthier by
"said" endeavor with a vigor that can greet the next
day with energy, giving this round world it's system
of natural, physical, psychological and economical
allocation of trade and trade-offs.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Cuba-Bolivia, maybe Canada should get involved

jimmoyer said:
Chainsaws, Said1 ?

Sawing logs ?

Now there's an economic activity, like a butterfly
in Canada sending a ripple in the air that bumps
the movement of a leaf that drops a worm to the ground
that gets eaten up by a bird who poops on someone's
windsheild who has no wiper fluid and goes to Walmart
with a few loonies and spies a really cheap laptop
and adds that to the bill and goes home sets up
an account and WiFi's into the cyber space and notices
the heat stove needs another stick of wood but
the woodpile needs replenishing, so "said" person
goes out to cut a tree and becomes healthier by
"said" endeavor with a vigor that can greet the next
day with energy, giving this round world it's system
of natural, physical, psychological and economical
allocation of trade and trade-offs.

Sawing logs is another way of saying sleeping. Thanks for the pun though. Funny. :D

twotoques

Jan 7, 2006
South Bruce Peninsula
An example of government interference:

What I was saying is that the Canadian government should execute trade agreements and let the laws of economics run its course.

What's the point of making trade agreements if one party occasionally refuses to live up to the rules of the agreement?

Canadian business should start looking for other jurisdictions to deal with who will abide by written agreements.

The US government has placed huge tariffs on some Canadian goods. And Nafta panels and the WTO have said the tariffs are too high and have ruled in favour of Canada. The US government refuses to repay the tariffs they collected and now owe to Canadian businesses.

I just don't understand how sometimes people say Canada should stop trading with the US and trade with another country as if the government has anything to do with markets.

American home builders want to buy Canadian lumber, but it's too expensive because of the ridiculous tariffs imposed by the US gov. at the request of American lumber producers.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
"The US government has placed huge tariffs on some Canadian goods. And Nafta panels and the WTO have said the tariffs are too high and have ruled in favour of Canada. The US government refuses to repay the tariffs they collected and now owe to Canadian businesses."

--------------twotoques--------------

Does that mean the tariffs were reduced ?

And does it also mean, the only remaining issue
is having the American government pay back
to the Canadian government those past tariff
import duties ?

Toro

Senate Member
twotoques said:
The US government has placed huge tariffs on some Canadian goods. And Nafta panels and the WTO have said the tariffs are too high and have ruled in favour of Canada. The US government refuses to repay the tariffs they collected and now owe to Canadian businesses.

The US has said they will abide by the decision of the NAFTA panel. However, the US lumber industry will continue to exhaust all avenues of appeal. It should be noted that this is a dispute that has been going on for over 20 years. For the first time, the US has said it will get rid of the tariffs, and this is because of NAFTA. Without NAFTA, Canadian companies would continuously, and probably fruitlessly, be in American courts.

twotoques said:
American home builders want to buy Canadian lumber, but it's too expensive because of the ridiculous tariffs imposed by the US gov. at the request of American lumber producers.

This isn't true. At the Home Depot a few minutes drive away, there are giant stacks of lumber with "BC Lumber" emblazened on the side.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
This isn't true. At the Home Depot a few minutes drive away, there are giant stacks of lumber with "BC Lumber" emblazened on the side.
----------------------------------Toro-----------------

LOL !

And you live in the home of the Georgia-Pacific
lumber and paper company.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think not said:
#juan said:
ITN wrote:
That's good news Jersay, keep aligning yourselves with the likes of Cuba and North Korea, soon you will be referred to as Kanada.

Maybe ITN, you can show me a country in South America that has found success in aligning themselves with the U.S.. I'm damned if I can find one.

Argentina and Brazil come to mind.

I take it that you think of Argentina as a success. Brazil is hardly a shining example of the U.S.'s wonderful influence. Then, what country is.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
I think not said:
#juan said:
ITN wrote:
That's good news Jersay, keep aligning yourselves with the likes of Cuba and North Korea, soon you will be referred to as Kanada.

Maybe ITN, you can show me a country in South America that has found success in aligning themselves with the U.S.. I'm damned if I can find one.

I take it that you think of Argentina as a success. Brazil is hardly a shining example of the U.S.'s wonderful influence. Then, what country is.

Canada

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think not said:
#juan said:
I think not said:
#juan said:
ITN wrote:

Canada

Canada is doing her best to stay out from under the corrupt, stifling, control and influence of American big business. American big business runs the U.S. and would run the world if we let them.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
#juan ?

America is too big and gangly and disjointed
and pathetic and talented and divided
to be painted with one
broad simplistic brush, the kind of criminal simplicity
you attribute it.

Simplifying your enemy is just a mistake.

Your arguments hold a valid moral condemnation
but lose their depth and credibility when you don't
switch paint brushes to create perspective in
your painting.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
I think not said:
#juan said:
I think not said:
#juan said:
ITN wrote:

Canada

Canada is doing her best to stay out from under the corrupt, stifling, control and influence of American big business. American big business runs the U.S. and would run the world if we let them.

Despite your conspiracy theories that corporations run the world, even if it were true, Canada would be unable to do anything about it, be happy both our countries have prospered due to trade that continues unhindered despite the nonsense from the fringe left.