Conservatives blame Media for Canada's failure to address Refugee Crisis

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Ok... I'll ask...

I'll ask since MentalFloss just took this as an opportunity to bash conservatives and I am doubtful he really cares about this issue any further than what political impact it will make.

Should Canada take tens of thousands of these migrants in?
Who Americans? For the ones from the Mid-East the shooting should stop and they can return home or is that how will still move people around.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
That seems to be the general consensus from both sides of the aisle.

Flossy couldn't even answer clearly.

All it takes is one slip up, one moment of letting your guard down and European countries would be filling up planes heading for Canada before you could say HOCKEY STICKS.

I've been following the migration for awhile now and during that time I've seen many heart-wrenching photos of the refugees. The fact that the child had a Canadian connection suddenly brought it to the attention of the NDP and Liberals who hitherto now had little if anything to say about the situation. Funny that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've been following the migration for awhile now and during that time I've seen many heart-wrenching photos of the refugees. The fact that the child had a Canadian connection suddenly brought it to the attention of the NDP and Liberals who hitherto now had little if anything to say about the situation. Funny that.

Exactly.

I bet a collective moan went across Canada when they connected that international photo to Canada.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
a boat sank, people died.

stephen harper is the devil or something.

anyway...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Exactly.

I bet a collective moan went across Canada when they connected that international photo to Canada.

I'm sure that most folks, just like myself, were truly saddened to hear about the drownings. I don't know about a collective sigh - maybe more like a conservative sigh. ;-)

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I'm sure if i look around carefully i will find Mosques that are sponsoring all these people, or no, whatcha think? If it was a Christian religion that was raising all this ****e, nobody would say a word, just like the left wingers regarding Muslims right?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
TODAY'S QUESTION

How can Canada best address the migrant crisis?

Accepting more refugees
981 (24 %)

Fighting Islamic State
2113 (51 %)

Sending aid 1010 (25 %)

Total number of votes: 4104

CTV News | Top Stories - Breaking News - Top News Headlines

Oh, and it turns out the family hadn't applied to come to Canada, after all.

Don PeatVerified account ‏@reporterdonpeat

Statement from the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada on the Kurdi family #cdnpoli

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/639504550517440513/photo/1

Stephen Taylor ‏@stephen_taylor

The tragic thing is that after the election, politicians and the media will stop caring about these refugees. Political impact fueling this.

Between 2003 and 2013, Canada ranked #2 in the world accepting refugees resettled by UNHCR.

> Why Does Canada Accept Refugees?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
123K! Phew!

I'm sure that most folks, just like myself, were truly saddened to hear about the drownings. I don't know about a collective sigh - maybe more like a conservative sigh. ;-)

I said a collective moan.

And only 24% want more refugees coming from Europe. Who said Canada is liberal and far left again?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Why I shared the horrific photo of the drowned Syrian child

I thought long and hard before I retweeted the photo. It shows a lifeless toddler, lying face down on a popular Turkish beach, one of eleven Syrians who have almost certainly died as they tried to reach safety in Europe by boarding a smuggler’s boat. Instead they ended up as the latest victims of Europe’s paltry response in the face of a growing crisis.

What struck me the most were his little sneakers, certainly lovingly put on by his parents that morning as they dressed him for their dangerous journey. One of my favourite moments of the morning is dressing my kids and helping them put on their shoes. They always seem to manage to put something on backwards, to our mutual amusement. Staring at the image, I couldn’t help imagine that it was one of my own sons lying there drowned on the beach.

I am currently in Hungary, documenting the journeys of Syrian refugees, the very journey that today took another young life. It’s easy to blame the parents for exposing their son to such deadly danger, but only if you forget the barrel bombs and Islamic State (also known as ISIS) beheadings that they are fleeing. All morning yesterday at the Serbian-Hungarian border, I saw Syrian parents determinedly walking with their children – trying to remove them from the horrors of the slaughter in Syria, which have been allowed to continue for four years, and to the promise of security in Europe. Those parents are heroes; I admire their sheer determination to bring their children to a better life.

Sadly, all along the journey, they are faced with hurdles and hostility. Some smugglers are so organized they even give receipts for their criminal business, but they care little for the lives of those they transport and make fortunes from. Their brutality may be expected, but what is inexcusable is the indifference and obstacles placed in their path by Europe’s leaders.

Almost every Syrian I have interviewed has had a close brush with death on their journey, often involving sinking boats. Now, in Hungary, they find their path blocked again, with thousands made to sleep in the streets without any help from the Hungarian authorities.

My notebooks are full of tragedy. Ali Pintar, a Syrian Kurd, fled with his three children after ISIS tried to take control of his hometown of Qamishli by sending suicide car bombs into the town. He has his train tickets to Munich, but police are preventing him from even entering the train station, so he has been sleeping rough for the last three nights with his children. He is utterly dejected, telling me of the humiliation he has faced: “It would have been better to stay in Syria. There, you only die once when there is an explosion or something. Here, I feel like I die a thousand deaths each day.”

Some say the picture is too offensive to share online or print in our newspapers. But what I find offensive is that drowned children are washing up on our shorelines, when more could have been done to prevent their deaths.

It was not an easy decision to share a brutal image of a drowned child. But I care about these children as much as my own. Maybe if Europe’s leaders did too, they would try to stem this ghastly spectacle.

Why I shared the horrific photo of the drowned Syrian child - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Nenshi calls Ottawa's response to Syrian refugee crisis 'disgraceful'
canada.com | Canada's great, shareable stories

Mayor Naheed Nenshi blasted the federal Conservative government Thursday for its handling of the Syrian refugee crisis, which has been symbolized in the media around the world by the image of a drowned three-year-old boy.

“We’re a country of generosity and we’re a country of opportunity,” Nenshi said, according to CBC News. “The fact that we have not even taken the Syrian refugees that we have committed to take, let alone taking many more people who are fleeing the most desperate situation only looking for opportunity in the world, to me is a disgrace.”

Alan Kurdi, a Syrian toddler whose lifeless body was photographed on a Turkish beach, was with family in a small boat attempting to reach Greece when the vessel capsized, killing him, his brother and his mother, among other refugees.

The family was hoping to one day reunite with a loved one in British Columbia.

The image of Alan’s body has refocused international attention on the long-standing humanitarian crisis in Syria, where millions have been displaced from their homes by ongoing conflict.

Nenshi joined a growing chorus of critics who have accused the Conservative government of failing to adequately respond to this growing crisis.

The Conservatives declined to respond to the Calgary mayor’s barbs directly, suggesting Nenshi may have based his comments on “misinformation” circulating about the Tory record.

Instead, the party referred to comments by Conservative leader Stephen Harper, who called the plight of the Kurdi family “heartbreaking.” At an election campaign stop in Coquitlam, B.C., Harper said he has visited refugee camps in Jordan and Iraq, where he witnessed the fallout of a humanitarian crisis he said is only getting worse.

Harper said Ottawa under his watch has already accepted tens of thousands of refugees from the Middle East. The Tories have also promised to welcome another 10,000 refugees from Syria and Iraq over the next four years, though critics say the target falls far short of what is needed.

The Conservative leader said Canada has also donated humanitarian aid to the region and joined military operations to target ISIL militants in Iraq and Syria.

“Refugee policy alone is not remotely a solution to this problem,” Harper said.

The Liberals and New Democrats were also critical of the Conservatives’ response to the crisis, and vowed to welcome more refugees, much faster.

With files from the Ottawa Citizen

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

The backlash against the Liberals and NDP has begun http://pllqt.it/iRwKwy

Joanne BlueLikeYou ‏@JoanneBLY

Joanne BlueLikeYou retweeted Dean Skoreyko
Blatchford finds Justin's remarks particularly despicable.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fcanadian-politics%2Fchristie-blatchford-alan-kurdis-story-should-galvanize-the-world-but-harper-cant-be-blamed-for-this-tragedy …

#cdnpoli #elxn42 #chrisalexander

*bonus internet find:

Anyone else think that it is odd that the drowned child is being referred to as 'Alan' Kadri ?

Dad is Abdullah.
The brother is Ghalib.
The wife is Rehan.
The aunt is Tima.
There are a few Mohammeds.

The media has changed his name to make it more relative to Canadian readers and to further their agenda.

His name is Aylan, not Alan.

The reporting on this story is beneath contempt.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

The media has changed his name to make it more relative to Canadian readers and to further their agenda.

His name is Aylan, not Alan.

The reporting on this story is beneath contempt.
I'm pretty sure if there was anybody in Canada that was going to get upset over dead babies then Gaza would have made that apparent quite a few years ago.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure if there was anybody in Canada that was going to get upset over dead babies then Gaza would have made that apparent quite a few years ago.

The age of any cadaver is a non-issue here. I don't think most people enjoy seeing innocent humans die.

The lost point is the mental and social masturbation on the name, blame for death and such by spinners, politicos and other erstwhile douchebags.

Savy?

Norman Spector ‏@nspector4

What the @VancouverSun reported yesterday

What the @globeandmail is r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶

C̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ h̶e̶a̶d̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶’̶s̶ ̶N̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶P̶o̶s̶t̶

flossing your mentality by the media parties.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Canada's refugee policy questioned after Syrian boy's drowning

Canada has taken in nearly 2,500 Syrian refugees, but critics say there's been no sense of urgency

The picture of Alan Kurdi, a Syrian boy whose body washed up on a Turkish beach, has heightened attention to Canada's own contribution to accepting refugees from that war-torn area and other troubled regions.

Critics say that Canada has historically been able to act rapidly to accept refugees on an urgent basis, but is failing to do so during the current crisis in the Mideast.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, responding Thursday to the recent tragedy, repeated a familiar government talking point — Canada has the most generous immigration and refugee system in the world, it admits per capita more people than any other and that his government has welcomed in total 2.5 million new arrivals.

Harper is combining immigrants and refugees, however, two different classifications. Canada does accept a lot of economic immigrants, around 165,000 last year. But refugees make up less than 10 per cent of the people accepted into Canada. And the number of refugees granted status in Canada is down from over 35,000 in 2005 to roughly 23,000 in 2014.

As for the actual number of Syrian refugees who have been pledged and settled in Canada, different figures have been cited.

Back in 2013, then immigration minister Jason Kenney pledged that Canada would resettle 1,300 Syrian refugees by the end of 2014.

"The government of Canada is deeply concerned about the crisis in Syria and was ready to respond immediately to those identified by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees as being most in need of urgent protection," Kenney said at the time.

..more...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/syria-refugees-canada-immigration-alan-kurdi-1.3214850