Conservatives Are Six Seats Away From A Majority

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy my friend

Looks like it is back to the woods - Take me with you please.
I've been playing Halo too much. "We're all gonna die1" is a line from the game. When I lived in the bush, every once in a while I'd get "bushed". I think that now I am "towned". I think it may be time to at least go back to the Slocan Valley for a while.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I've been playing Halo too much. "We're all gonna die1" is a line from the game. When I lived in the bush, every once in a while I'd get "bushed". I think that now I am "towned". I think it may be time to at least go back to the Slocan Valley for a while.
Cliffy - While we do disagree I have a lot of respect for you as an individual - to few individuals left many are absorbed "like the Bork" they have been absorbed by technnology and staying silent: in Star Trek - scared to step outside - terrified to be different - to stand alone most of the time for that they believe.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Bad Cyborg.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And the government saved every cent of that - and it will never be covered by future taxpayers. I've got some nice land in Florida to sell you too.

Your arguments don't fly Pegger. It's not like they gave me $2000 at someone elses expense, they were actually just returning $2000 of MY money.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You think????? :lol:

While I have you here Mowich, I asked you a question on another thread but never saw an answer (if it's any of my business). "Mowitch" is the Native Indian term for "deer" in some tongues...........is there a connection?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Your arguments don't fly Pegger. It's not like they gave me $2000 at someone elses expense, they were actually just returning $2000 of MY money.

And the debt incurred in the 70's and 80's is someone else problem - right? As I said before - cut government expenses first - then cut taxes.

In the next few years, we will head into an era where there will be more pressures put onto health care, OAS, CPP, etc... due to our aging population. The time to prepare for it is now. If you think a minority of people (who will be paying the majority of the taxes) will stand for it - you are the one mistaken - and it won't matter how many years you "paid into it" - it simply won't exist.

In 10 years - when Health Care is unaffordable for the taxpayer - what will you do then? Get medical insurance? good luck with that. We have a increasingly smaller window to prepare for that eventuality - and instead of preparing for that - Harper is throwing away $$s on his quest for a majority with stupid, short sighted policies. He has shown NO consideration for the future problems that we will be facing - no planning, no foresight. Heck - he is talking about payroll tax increases instead of sales or income tax increases - if that doesn't show you how inept he is, nothing will.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario

Did you cost the government $2000 less this year? Only then do you have a point.

Oh - and $2000 less income for the government - means it comes from somewhere else - either MY pocket - or my kid's pocket + interest.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The over 50 crowd borrowed substantially to artificially inflate their standard of living and stuck their kids with the bill. Seniors are, statistically speaking, the wealthiest segment of society. We should be increasing the tax load on seniors.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
DrPolitics.com -- Senior Citizen Discounts Are Affirmative Action for the Wealthy. By Ted Rueter

http://www.seniorlivingmag.com/pdfs/senior_demographics.pdf

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
While I have you here Mowich, I asked you a question on another thread but never saw an answer (if it's any of my business). "Mowitch" is the Native Indian term for "deer" in some tongues...........is there a connection?

Sorry about that JLM, I did reply but have now visited so many threads I forget where I posted it.

Yes, there is a connection. I had my Totem Cards read by a friend of mine a long time ago. Deer is one of my personal totems and represents gentleness. I liked the connotation and after reading a book by David Thompson wherein he translates some Shushwap words, I found mowich (his spelling). It has been my online moniker everywhere I go, ever since. I am also a Wiccan solitaire and the 'wich' part kind of tickles me too. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And the debt incurred in the 70's and 80's is someone else problem - right? As I said before - cut government expenses first - then cut taxes.

In the next few years, we will head into an era where there will be more pressures put onto health care, OAS, CPP, etc... due to our aging population. The time to prepare for it is now. If you think a minority of people (who will be paying the majority of the taxes) will stand for it - you are the one mistaken - and it won't matter how many years you "paid into it" - it simply won't exist.

In 10 years - when Health Care is unaffordable for the taxpayer - what will you do then? Get medical insurance? good luck with that. We have a increasingly smaller window to prepare for that eventuality - and instead of preparing for that - Harper is throwing away $$s on his quest for a majority with stupid, short sighted policies. He has shown NO consideration for the future problems that we will be facing - no planning, no foresight. Heck - he is talking about payroll tax increases instead of sales or income tax increases - if that doesn't show you how inept he is, nothing will.

Oh boy, you've opened a big can of worms. First, you can let me spend the $2000 or you can give it to the Gov't. to spend. If I spend the $2000, it will go toward things like wages of employed people, a tiny bit will go to charity and some toward the cost of producing merchandise. If the Gov't. gets it most of it goes into a big trough with 308 syphons attached. Healthcare is not really a valid expense anymore, Gov't has been throwing money over that precipice for years with no real difference showing. We have a very serious fact of life to face. Money will never improve healthcare, the cost of healthcare is directly proportional to the style of life we live. Human beings are for the most part healthy creatures as long as we eat the right foods in the right quantities and lead a fairly vigorous life style. If we don't do that we get fat, our arteries get clogged (heart disease) our bodies accumulate poison (cancer), we get overloaded with sugar so our pancreas doesn't work properly (diabetes). All money does is patch up a fraction of the damage enabling us to carry on another couple of years adding further costs to the taxpayer by using subsidized medications. That's the long and short of it Pegger.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Did you cost the government $2000 less this year? Only then do you have a point.

Oh - and $2000 less income for the government - means it comes from somewhere else - either MY pocket - or my kid's pocket + interest.

I've cost the gov't very little money any year, never have collected, E.I. or welfare or W.C.B., haven't called any ambulances, spent nights in any jails, haven't spent a day in hospitals for over 45 years. Now I have to add that all that isn't entirely to my credit, in many ways I've had more than my share of good fortunes (and my bad fortunes don't seem to cost other people money).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The over 50 crowd borrowed substantially to artificially inflate their standard of living and stuck their kids with the bill. Seniors are, statistically speaking, the wealthiest segment of society. We should be increasing the tax load on seniors.

You're partly right, people in the work force from the 1950s to the 1990s (me included had it very easy in comparison to past generations. Those were mainly good times, no wars, no depressions, we had good paying jobs, you are partly wrong tho' a lot of us guys over 50 (over 60) didn't grow up using credit cards to any great degree, sure we had them but we still also had instilled in our philosophy not to buy what you don't have the cash for and with the exception of big ticket items like cars and houses we didn't, we sure didn't dig out the credit card every time we went to the drug store or the shoe store. (I do it all the time now to take advantage of the 1% cash back) that's actually a case of going one step ahead and three back, because the stores jack up their prices to about 4% to accommodate credit card privileges, but otherwise I'm going three steps back and zero ahead. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (There's some real assh*les running the corporate sector)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
...you are partly wrong tho' a lot of us guys over 50 (over 60) didn't grow up using credit cards to any great degree, sure we had them but we still also had instilled in our philosophy not to buy what you don't have the cash for and with the exception of big ticket items like cars and houses we didn't,....

I wasn't talking on a personal level. I was talking politically. Government deficits were a result of the over 50 crowds unwilling to live within their means. They just figured a way to do so without taking personal responsibility....it was the government after all. You had the benefit of 30 years of government problems bought and paid for with your children's future. I would be embarrassed to to ask for more if I were you.

To top it off, you think the pittance seniors paid into OAS and CPP is actually supporting you now? The reality is that what seniors paid into the programs, they got back out pretty quick after retiring and within a few years it was onto the government tit.

we sure didn't dig out the credit card every time we went to the drug store or the shoe store.

Sure you did. Government debt is the same thing. You borrowed money. Seniors should take responsibility.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You're partly right, people in the work force from the 1950s to the 1990s (me included had it very easy in comparison to past generations. Those were mainly good times, no wars, no depressions, we had good paying jobs, you are partly wrong tho' a lot of us guys over 50 (over 60) didn't grow up using credit cards to any great degree, sure we had them but we still also had instilled in our philosophy not to buy what you don't have the cash for and with the exception of big ticket items like cars and houses we didn't, we sure didn't dig out the credit card every time we went to the drug store or the shoe store. (I do it all the time now to take advantage of the 1% cash back) that's actually a case of going one step ahead and three back, because the stores jack up their prices to about 4% to accommodate credit card privileges, but otherwise I'm going three steps back and zero ahead. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (There's some real assh*les running the corporate sector)

I'll grant you that you are partly right, but don't forget about the years like the early 80s when the Gov't. had that money invested at a time when they were getting anywhere from 10-21% interest on money invested.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
JLM - we are going in circles - and getting away from my point which - cuts in taxes MUST be accompanied by cuts in Government spending - which has not happened under Harper. The cost of government has exploded under Harper to a $60 B deficit this year - plus foreseeable deficits for the future. The tax cuts were poorly timed, fiscally irresponsible, and amount to heaping more debt on future generations. The only "expense" Harper cut back on was paying off the debt - which was incurred in the 70's and 80's.

In 10 to 15 years, a choice will between paying benefits to an aging population, or paying off the debt, and maintaining services for the younger generations. If we continue on the path we are now, in 15 years, there will be no health care for the aged, or CPP, or OAS - because the younger ones will refuse to pay for it. That sentiment already exists. It will only grow in time (in my opinion that is)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM - we are going in circles - and getting away from my point which - cuts in taxes MUST be accompanied by cuts in Government spending - which has not happened under Harper. The cost of government has exploded under Harper to a $60 B deficit this year - plus foreseeable deficits for the future. The tax cuts were poorly timed, fiscally irresponsible, and amount to heaping more debt on future generations. The only "expense" Harper cut back on was paying off the debt - which was incurred in the 70's and 80's.

In 10 to 15 years, a choice will between paying benefits to an aging population, or paying off the debt, and maintaining services for the younger generations. If we continue on the path we are now, in 15 years, there will be no health care for the aged, or CPP, or OAS - because the younger ones will refuse to pay for it. That sentiment already exists. It will only grow in time (in my opinion that is)

No doubt about it Harper has his work cut out, but we've known about this 60B, he just tried to deny it was going to happen until the eleventh hour, but what other choices did he have given this depression? I suppose one was NOT bailing out these auto manufacturers but had he done that unemployment would have been even higher and the populace would have been screaming. I see one BIG problem that Canadians have a hard time coming to grips with. Canadians want Gov't funded health care and it just won't work given the amount of money available to fund it. Doctors, nurse, technicians are always 5 minutes away from "walking" and possibly rightfully so, they deserve a decent income and more equipment and buildings are always needed. I think if I was Harper I would find out from the people through a mail out the services they wished priortized and the ones to go on the back burner. In short I think we have to do more personally to attend to our own health needs. $20 up front fee for the E.R. would be a start.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
The problem JLM - is that irresponsibility started in 2006 - with the GST cut - and the rise in government expenses of 2x the rate of inflation. Even now, the PMO has somehting like 157 people in the communications department alone. Harper is Liberal in his spending, and Conservative in his tax approach - which is most dangerous combination there is.