Conservatives Are Six Seats Away From A Majority

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh please. No such thing is going to happen and if by some miracle it does, it will be about time. Our country is in good sound hands under the Conservatives. If all the praise from the G7 countries doesn't move you then the fact the minority government of Stephen Harper has been able to weather the recession (which was no fault of our own) and begin to come out of it way ahead of all other G7 countries.
Majority or minority, the Conservatives have a steady hand on the tiller of this ship of state, and I for one, am extremely thankful.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-)

And you may not be far off with that opinion, notwithstanding the fact that they definitely are NOT saints.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
You mean - all the praise they receive for putting in a "stimulus" package that they were "forced to" by the Liberals, NDP and Bloc coalition?

Or do you mean that they deserve the praise, as well as the criticism for running up a $60B debt this year?

Personally, I don't care - just pick one. Are they responsible for the stimulus - and thus the massive debt, or are they not responsible for the debt, and therefore don't deserve the praise?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You mean - all the praise they receive for putting in a "stimulus" package that they were "forced to" by the Liberals, NDP and Bloc coalition?

Or do you mean that they deserve the praise, as well as the criticism for running up a $60B debt this year?

Personally, I don't care - just pick one. Are they responsible for the stimulus - and thus the massive debt, or are they not responsible for the debt, and therefore don't deserve the praise?

They are ALL fairly rotten and most of what any of them do is fairly rotten, but I don't see much use in "jumping out of the frying pan" at this point.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
They are ALL fairly rotten and most of what any of them do is fairly rotten, but I don't see much use in "jumping out of the frying pan" at this point.

So then you condone what they do.

I wanted a government that is open, accountable and responsible. I have no problem to vote against the Conservatives because they are not. To vote for them because "they are no worse than the others" means I condone, accept and even promote their behavior - which I cannot do.

The voters consistently vote for a**holes to run this country and so long as theya re "our" a-holes, we accept it. Fine - we get the leaders we want then.

Personally, I think we should have a good PM. Not just the best a-hole around.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
And you may not be far off with that opinion, notwithstanding the fact that they definitely are NOT saints.

No they are not. I have had many disagreements with the way the party does things, lately it was the stupid Iggy ads, why beat a dead horse with our membership money. At the same time, how can I expect the Conservatives to be 'saints' when I am so far from being one myself. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I think you might have answered your own question, could be wrong, when you stated that they were "forced" into the package by the opposition parties. The $60 billion is as much a fault of the opposition as it is the Conservatives.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

I wanted a government that is open, accountable and responsible. I have no problem to vote against the Conservatives because they are not. To vote for them because "they are no worse than the others" means I condone, accept and even promote their behavior - which I cannot do.

The voters consistently vote for a**holes to run this country and so long as theya re "our" a-holes, we accept it. Fine - we get the leaders we want then.
Pretty much (or at least the leaders that ON and QC vote in). lol

Good luck finding one.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I think you might have answered your own question, could be wrong, when you stated that they were "forced" into the package by the opposition parties. The $60 billion is as much a fault of the opposition as it is the Conservatives.

The quotes are from the talking points by most conservative supports when I complain about the $60 B debt. I am told that the debt was because the Coalition forced the Cons to do it or they would have lost power (Total and utter BS in my opinion).

As I said - either take credit for the stimulus AND responsibility for the debt - OR don't take responsibility for the debt NOR credit for the stimulus. They come together.

As I said before - my issue with Harper (note - not the Conservative party - Harper in particular) is he NEVER takes responsibility for anything. He is the PM - act like one. After 4 years - he still acts like the Leader of the Opposition.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Pretty much (or at least the leaders that ON and QC vote in). lol

Good luck finding one.

Frank McKeena would be a good one - but he won't run (smart man, that one)

I personally think there SOME good possibilities, in the all the parties. The current leaders - Harper, Ignatieff, Layton are all the same - losers.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Frank McKeena would be a good one - but he won't run (smart man, that one)

I personally think there SOME good possibilities, in the all the parties. The current leaders - Harper, Ignatieff, Layton are all the same - losers.
I like aspects of McKenna, too. I've read a few things Dennis Fentie has spoken about that I like. And I kind of like the NWT government. It's different in a good way, I think.
And I agree the current batch of leaders is a collection of culls.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

YEp, I approve of the pension tax splitting scheme that Harper introduced, our total tax has been reduced by close to $2000 a year. When you are of modest income, that would be tough to vote against.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I like aspects of McKenna, too. I've read a few things Dennis Fentie has spoken about that I like. And I kind of like the NWT government. It's different in a good way, I think.
And I agree the current batch of leaders is a collection of culls.

I think of all the politicians in CAnada, one of the best and most honest is Gordon Gibson Jr. out of N. Vancouver. He's getting fairly long in the tooth now and I'm not sure just how active he still is in politics. (If he was really smart he wouldn't be active at all).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No they are not. I have had many disagreements with the way the party does things, lately it was the stupid Iggy ads, why beat a dead horse with our membership money. At the same time, how can I expect the Conservatives to be 'saints' when I am so far from being one myself. :smile:

Hey, you are not being paid to be a saint- they are. :lol::lol:

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
YEp, I approve of the pension tax splitting scheme that Harper introduced, our total tax has been reduced by close to $2000 a year. When you are of modest income, that would be tough to vote against.

Good to know you can be bought for $2,000 a year, and that you have no problem hoisting a $60 B additional debt (to the currently existing $500 B debt) that your generation hoisted on your kids, grandkids and greatgrandkids, etc...

Seems more than fair that future get to pay for your health care, OAS, CCP - you know, all the things that they will never get to enjoy, because they are too busy to pay for your generation's debt.

And people say that my generation (you know - the so called "me" generation) is the selfish one.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Good to know you can be bought for $2,000 a year, and that you have no problem hoisting a $60 B additional debt (to the currently existing $500 B debt) that your generation hoisted on your kids, grandkids and greatgrandkids, etc...

Seems more than fair that future get to pay for your health care, OAS, CCP - you know, all the things that they will never get to enjoy, because they are too busy to pay for your generation's debt.

And people say that my generation (you know - the so called "me" generation) is the selfish one.
Your generation benefited from Trudeau's legacy of debt so your parent could work to spoil you - low education costs - roads that did not need paving - and the list goes on - 2 k is a hell of a lot to people on a modest income - What is your income - Fess up "Me generation" I at 52 am still paying for that legacy -and as to the deficit by Harper - every freaking leader of each party was for it -

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Sorry that is wrong, speaking for myself I worked every day for 35 years, paying into C.P.P. etc and never drew one cent of E.I., W.C.B. or welfare.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Your generation benefited from Trudeau's legacy of debt so your parent could work to spoil you - low education costs - roads that did not need paving - and the list goes on - 2 k is a hell of a lot to people on a modest income - What is your income - Fess up "Me generation" I at 52 am still paying for that legacy -and as to the deficit by Harper - every freaking leader of each party was for it -

I am not arguing any of those points.

What I am saying is that supporting a government that gives you $2K, while jacking up the countries debt by 60 B this year - in useless - one-time stimulus (i.e. no future benefit) is short sighted, selfish and just plain stupid.

I have no problem in theory with tax cuts for seniors - nor do I have a problem with my generation paying for the debt incurred by others for my supposed benefit. I DO have a problem with people supporting a uselss, short sighted government that introduces poor economic policies without a for-thought on how it will affect future generations.

For example - cutting taxes, while jacking up government spending is irresponsible.
(exactly what the Cons have done) The responsible thing would have been to cut expenses first, then cut taxes. However, everyone is too excited by the $2,000, or 2% cut in GST - which individually isn't much, but add that together equals billions...as I said - short sighted, and selfish.

Don't give the that crap that it's OK because the other leaders were for it. As I said - just cause they are all stupid losers doesn't mean that I should like more than the other. Harper COULD have said no. Harper could have done it differently - he chose not to. If you support him, and not the Liberals, etc.. then YOU are the hypocrite - not me.

I have no problem paying my "fair" share of taxes. I do not cheat on my taxes - I do not pay for items under the table. Too bad the rest of you aren't that way.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Sorry that is wrong, speaking for myself I worked every day for 35 years, paying into C.P.P. etc and never drew one cent of E.I., W.C.B. or welfare.

And the government saved every cent of that - and it will never be covered by future taxpayers. I've got some nice land in Florida to sell you too.