Congratulation, President Obama!!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Amongst conservatives.
No, amongst a lot of people.

It's ridiculous to give him that prize at this stage in his Presidency.

What, specifically, has he done? Oh, right, he ended the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, he created peace in the middle east, and he freed all the 'terrorists' held in Cuba. All in the first week of his term. What an accomplishment, I agree he deserves accolades.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well so far the reactions to the award are pretty much what I expected, especially from the conservatives.
What a foul thing to call someone. "You conservative, you". lmao Like conservatives are second class or something. What a bigot.

I would think they would be happy that one of their own got a Nobel award, but evidently they don’t regard a black, a Democrat as one of their own, as an American. If a Democrat gets a Nobel Peace Prize, it is a bad thing, according to conservatives.

Personally I would be happy if a Canadian, any Canadian got the Nobel award, yes even Harper (though I don’t see a snowball’s chance in Hell of that happening).

But that is the emerging trend among US conservatives these days; they look at politics before they consider their country. Thus, since Obama lobbied for Chicago, Republicans were ecstatically happy that Chicago didn’t get the Olympics. When American president gets the ultimate prestige in the world, the Nobel Peace Prize, rather then being proud for America, Republicans are mad and sad because a Democrat and a black man got the award.

Pathetic, in my opinion.
Ultimate prestige? The Nobel will likely soon be awarded to someone for picking lint out of their bellybutton if Obama gets one for some ultimate achievement. roflmao

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
What hes done peace wise is told the world they will talk first before taking the heavy hand with sanctions,tough talk,bullying and bombs.

The USA needs this IMO,they are hated all over for a reason,time to shed that bush bully image and act like adults.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No, amongst a lot of people.

It's ridiculous to give him that prize at this stage in his Presidency.

What, specifically, has he done? Oh, right, he ended the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, he created peace in the middle east, and he freed all the 'terrorists' held in Cuba. All in the first week of his term. What an accomplishment, I agree he deserves accolades.

Right... he's accomplished NONE of it!

Both wars are still ongoing...NUKES are for anyone who can make them...Isreali-Palestine Conflict still going on... Guantanamo still open.

Guantanamo is the easiest. Just close it down!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What hes done peace wise is told the world they will talk first before taking the heavy hand with sanctions,tough talk,bullying and bombs.

The USA needs this IMO,they are hated all over for a reason,time to shed that bush bully image and act like adults.

We are still threatening sanctions and still bombing here and there.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If the USA gave out prizes, Obama should be considered. This is the first time I have ever seen a Nobel Prize given out just for being there ... and no, Joey, I am NOT a conservative by any stretch of the imagination. They worship money ... just like you

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If the USA gave out prizes, Obama should be considered. This is the first time I have ever seen a Nobel Prize given out just for being there ... and no, Joey, I am NOT a conservative by any stretch of the imagination. They worship money ... just like you

Joey is most likely a house husband.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We are still threatening sanctions and still bombing here and there.
He hasnt started any new wars for oil and they are seriously looking to decrease their dependance on middle east oil.

Thats why the Saudi's are now asking for promises of world aid when the dependance on their oil wanes and I'm not making that up.
The love affair with Bush isnt helping them anymore.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Why won’t he be able to keep the money, ironsides? The award is to him, not to the presidency. Is there some law in USA that says that the money has to go to the government? I would think he would be able to pocket the money (he may decide not to, however).

President Barack Obama in a show of class and his dedication to charitable causes announced that he will give all of the proceeds from winning the Nobel Peace Prize to charity.

There has been no word yet from the White House on what charity the 1.4 million in prize money will be going to.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
President Barack Obama in a show of class and his dedication to charitable causes announced that he will give all of the proceeds from winning the Nobel Peace Prize to charity.

There has been no word yet from the White House on what charity the 1.4 million in prize money will be going to.

How about the charity known as "the poor"?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well so far the reactions to the award are pretty much what I expected, especially from the conservatives.

I would think they would be happy that one of their own got a Nobel award, but evidently they don’t regard a black, a Democrat as one of their own, as an American. If a Democrat gets a Nobel Peace Prize, it is a bad thing, according to conservatives.

Personally I would be happy if a Canadian, any Canadian got the Nobel award, yes even Harper (though I don’t see a snowball’s chance in Hell of that happening).

But that is the emerging trend among US conservatives these days; they look at politics before they consider their country. Thus, since Obama lobbied for Chicago, Republicans were ecstatically happy that Chicago didn’t get the Olympics. When American president gets the ultimate prestige in the world, the Nobel Peace Prize, rather then being proud for America, Republicans are mad and sad because a Democrat and a black man got the award.

Pathetic, in my opinion.

This has nothing to do with political stripes of Republican or Conservative or
Liberal or Democrat or whatever. It doesn't even have anything to do with
being Canadian or American. Barrack Obama happens to be an American
Democrat Politician, but that's it. I'm sure the Guy has a rough eleven days
between (& including) January 22nd, 2009 and February 1st, 2009....but a
Nobel Peace Prize?

Can somebody nominate me right now, 'cuz I might do something between
now and next October? I sure as hell hope that anyone's Race hasn't anything
at all to do with them receiving a Nobel Peace Prize like you're implying.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Right... Liberals and Democrats are saying...

"How embarrassing... 11 days in office? The GOP is going to have a field day."

Liberals and Democrats are not saying that EagleSmack, most of them are happy for Obama (and I suspect so are most of the independents). it is only the conservatives who are apoplectic that Obama got the Nobel Prize, and their man, Bush didn’t get it.

To be fair, if Bush had got the Nobel Prize, Republicans would have been ecstatic and Democrats would have condemned it. It is really representative of the poisonous atmosphere in US society, in US politics.

Indeed, the fact that some pundits are saying that this award could be divisive (in US society) shows the pathetic, sorry state the USA is in. If one of them getting a prestigious award such as Nobel Peace Prize is going to divide the society, I don’t see any hope for USA. I don't see American society coming to together to solve any of the horrendous problems facign them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Then give him a prize for environmental work, not diplomacy.
BTW, I am ignorant of a lot of things (how to type without looking at the keys, how to write my name in the snow while standing up, how to ride a unicycle, etc.), but I am not unwashed.

Anna you will have to assume the title of ignorance yourself. I sure as hell won't attach it to you. Obama has measurably added to the good will the U.S. currently enjoys. Obama has been very well received in every country he has visited including Canada. Obama has done a lot more than just not being Bush.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

That would be my understanding kakato; the money is his to do as he wishes. I don’t see why it would to go the government, as ironsides said. And I suspected he probably will donate it to charity anyway.

I don’t think Obama needs the money. Once he is out of office, he will make millions in a very short order by charging for appearances, writing a book etc., like the Clintons did. So donating the money to charity was the right (and classy) thing to do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Liberals and Democrats are not saying that EagleSmack, most of them are happy for Obama (and I suspect so are most of the independents).
I beg to differ. I think indies are a lot smarter than either Dems or Reps. They've eliminated the partisan crap that Dems & Reps, Glibs & Cons exercise.
it is only the conservatives who are apoplectic that Obama got the Nobel Prize, and their man, Bush didn’t get it.
Yeah, and it has nothing to do with the fact that Obama didn't do anything in the first 11 days of his presidency?:roll: roflmao