Congratulation, President Obama!!!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Congratulations to President Obama

My congratulations to His Excellency the Honourable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America!

In my view, despite whatever conservatives forces are saying to respond to the president’s winning of the Nobel Peace Prize, His Excellency single-handedly won the award when he announced the intent to close the detention centre at the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base. That detention centre was perhaps one of the largest stains on the United States of America’s reputation, and its closure speaks volumes about the new direction that this president’s vision has taken. His Excellency’s attitude of peace and negotiation with the Middle East, coupled with the view of nuclear disarmament and this newfound United States respect for rights, freedoms and fundamental principles of justice, is quite deserving of recognition.

Once more, congratulations to the president — and I can only hope that United States conservatives can see past the partisan glasses and recognise this award as good for the president and for the United States. Ultimately, it’s about the greater chance of global peace and a prosperous future for the human race.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Congratulations to Obama!
Of course the US is still mired in two unpopular wars, faces a defiant Iran, and is not seen as an honest broker in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute.
Perhaps the Nobel committee is creating a teachable moment, in the hope that this prize will serve as a catalyst to hasten Obama towards resolution of these fiascos?
Regardless, GWB would never have been mentioned in the same breath as the Nobel Peace Prize.
Again, congratulations.
PS
Wonder if Harper ever considered his foreign policy as a way to earn international resp...???? Hmmmm....

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That seems crazy premature - it's way too early to give Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. He hasn't had time to achieve anything approaching Nobel-worthy.

This kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing.
I agree. I think people giving out awards these days are doing some serious ganja (BTW, that is not a Jamaican word; it's Sanskrit). QE2 gives the scamster ChRETIeN some award, Titanic won best picture Oscar, etc. So much for awards. :roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here are a few hints to the ignorant and unwashed:

President Obama’s First 100 Days Show Environmental Progress and Promise

Obama Achieves Key Environmental Milestones in His First 100 Days as President

By Larry West, About.com

Filed In:

1. Environmental Law/Policy

Sponsored Links

Sustainability ManagementNEW UBC program. Sustainable planning & administration training.ContinuingStudies.ubc.ca
Obama: Secret Econ ReportYou think the recession is over? We say otherwise. What Obama is hidingMoneyMorning.com/Obama_economy_rpt
NPRI Management SoftwareSave time & money, assure compliance & automate reporting.www.esp-net.com/ihs

Environment Ads Barack Obama Plan Environmental President Elect Air Pollution Causes Pure Energy Magazine

On April 29, 2009, President Barack Obama reached the end of his first 100 days in office, the arbitrary yardstick that Americans have been using to evaluate the performance and potential of chief executives since Franklin Roosevelt was elected president in 1932. On Inauguration Day [January 20, 2009], I set out a dream environmental agenda for President Barack Obama’s first 100 days. In my five-point list, I called on Obama to:

1. build a green economy
  2. get serious about climate change
  3. create a new clean energy policy
  4. mitigate the Bush legacy; and
  5. respect his scientists.
In his first 100 days, President Obama has done a remarkable job of addressing all of the issues on my agenda, and then some. Here is a list of the Obama administration’s key environmental accomplishments during the president’s first 100 days in office:
  • Worked with Congress to pass the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, a $787 billion economic stimulus package that includes nearly $100 billion in green spending to help get the economy back on track and to create millions of clean-energy jobs.
  • Outlined a "clean energy" vision for America.
  • Appointed an outstanding “green team” of top advisors, federal officials and cabinet secretaries.
  • Sent Congress a proposed budget that makes clean energy and the environment top priorities and includes funding for energy and environmental programs throughout the federal government.
  • Declared carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases a threat to public health and welfare, setting the stage for regulating greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming if Congress fails to pass legislation to address the issue.
  • Protected more than 2 million acres of wilderness land and several rivers with the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009..
  • Re-established the United States as a leader in international climate negotiations.
  • Restored critical protections under the Endangered Species Act, which had been removed by a last-minute rule change in the final days of the Bush administration.
  • Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to reconsider its decision to deny California a waiver under the Clean Air Act, which would have enabled California and 17 other states to impose stricter-than-federal limits on greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.
  • Reversed the Bush rule that opened the door to mountaintop removal coal mining and canceled several individual mountaintop mining permits.
  • Put offshore drilling and oil shale exploration on hold and restored protections for public lands.
  • Announced a new initiative to lease U.S. coastal waters for the purpose of generating electricity from wind and ocean currents.
  • Repeatedly reaffirmed science and the rule of law as the standards by which federal environmental decisions shall be made.
"It is difficult to overstate the tremendous progress President Obama has made in just 100 days,” said Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope in a statement. “He has moved swifter and smarter than any president in recent memory. While naysayers warned of doing too much too quickly, President Obama maintained his resolve and his boldness is backed by overwhelming majorities of the American public. "President Obama has done more to lay the foundation for the clean energy future in three months than has been done in the previous three decades,” Pope continued. “His economic recovery plan, the budget, and a sweeping set of executive branch actions amount to a huge down payment on a cleaner, more prosperous future.”

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My congratulations to His Excellency the Honourable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America!

In my view, despite whatever conservatives forces are saying to respond to the president’s winning of the Nobel Peace Prize, His Excellency single-handedly won the award when he announced the intent to close the detention centre at the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base. That detention centre was perhaps one of the largest stains on the United States of America’s reputation, and its closure speaks volumes about the new direction that this president’s vision has taken. His Excellency’s attitude of peace and negotiation with the Middle East, coupled with the view of nuclear disarmament and this newfound United States respect for rights, freedoms and fundamental principles of justice, is quite deserving of recognition.

Once more, congratulations to the president — and I can only hope that United States conservatives can see past the partisan glasses and recognise this award as good for the president and for the United States. Ultimately, it’s about the greater chance of global peace and a prosperous future for the human race.
Guantanamo? Then he deserves some humanitarian award not a Nobel for diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.
The appearance of "newfound United States respect for rights, freedoms and fundamental principles of justice" can be displayed by anyone. Big deal. Doing stuff means more. Has he settled anything between the Shia and Sunni in Iraq? Has he cooled things down between China and Tenzin Gyatso? Sitting in an office and standing at a podium spouting off are one thing, doing something constructive is another.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Here are a few hints to the ignorant and unwashed:

President Obama’s First 100 Days Show Environmental Progress and Promise

Obama Achieves Key Environmental Milestones in His First 100 Days as President

By Larry West, About.com

Filed In:

1. Environmental Law/Policy

Sponsored Links

Sustainability ManagementNEW UBC program. Sustainable planning & administration training.ContinuingStudies.ubc.ca
Obama: Secret Econ ReportYou think the recession is over? We say otherwise. What Obama is hidingMoneyMorning.com/Obama_economy_rpt
NPRI Management SoftwareSave time & money, assure compliance & automate reporting.www.esp-net.com/ihs

Environment Ads Barack Obama Plan Environmental President Elect Air Pollution Causes Pure Energy Magazine

On April 29, 2009, President Barack Obama reached the end of his first 100 days in office, the arbitrary yardstick that Americans have been using to evaluate the performance and potential of chief executives since Franklin Roosevelt was elected president in 1932. On Inauguration Day [January 20, 2009], I set out a dream environmental agenda for President Barack Obama’s first 100 days. In my five-point list, I called on Obama to:

1. build a green economy
  2. get serious about climate change
  3. create a new clean energy policy
  4. mitigate the Bush legacy; and
  5. respect his scientists.
In his first 100 days, President Obama has done a remarkable job of addressing all of the issues on my agenda, and then some. Here is a list of the Obama administration’s key environmental accomplishments during the president’s first 100 days in office:
  • Worked with Congress to pass the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, a $787 billion economic stimulus package that includes nearly $100 billion in green spending to help get the economy back on track and to create millions of clean-energy jobs.
  • Outlined a "clean energy" vision for America.
  • Appointed an outstanding “green team” of top advisors, federal officials and cabinet secretaries.
  • Sent Congress a proposed budget that makes clean energy and the environment top priorities and includes funding for energy and environmental programs throughout the federal government.
  • Declared carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases a threat to public health and welfare, setting the stage for regulating greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming if Congress fails to pass legislation to address the issue.
  • Protected more than 2 million acres of wilderness land and several rivers with the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009..
  • Re-established the United States as a leader in international climate negotiations.
  • Restored critical protections under the Endangered Species Act, which had been removed by a last-minute rule change in the final days of the Bush administration.
  • Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to reconsider its decision to deny California a waiver under the Clean Air Act, which would have enabled California and 17 other states to impose stricter-than-federal limits on greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.
  • Reversed the Bush rule that opened the door to mountaintop removal coal mining and canceled several individual mountaintop mining permits.
  • Put offshore drilling and oil shale exploration on hold and restored protections for public lands.
  • Announced a new initiative to lease U.S. coastal waters for the purpose of generating electricity from wind and ocean currents.
  • Repeatedly reaffirmed science and the rule of law as the standards by which federal environmental decisions shall be made.
"It is difficult to overstate the tremendous progress President Obama has made in just 100 days,” said Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope in a statement. “He has moved swifter and smarter than any president in recent memory. While naysayers warned of doing too much too quickly, President Obama maintained his resolve and his boldness is backed by overwhelming majorities of the American public. "President Obama has done more to lay the foundation for the clean energy future in three months than has been done in the previous three decades,” Pope continued. “His economic recovery plan, the budget, and a sweeping set of executive branch actions amount to a huge down payment on a cleaner, more prosperous future.”
Then give him a prize for environmental work, not diplomacy.
BTW, I am ignorant of a lot of things (how to type without looking at the keys, how to write my name in the snow while standing up, how to ride a unicycle, etc.), but I am not unwashed.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Congratulations President Obama, well deserved, it's was such a breath of fresh air,
from the moment we heard your first campaign speech right up to the present,
as you are a true diplomat, striving for world peace, and willing to listen and talk
with all leaders to work with them for a good relationship.
Keep up the good work, it will rub off on other leaders and citizens to have a good
heart toward others, and see 'other's' positions in the world, and not just that of
your own country.
You have taken that childish arrogance out of the white house, and replaced it
with intelligence and grace.

Thank you

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Nobel Prize for Peace has become farcical. It lost all credibility when it was handed to that certifiable lunatic Al Gore a couple of years ago, but that certainly wasn't the first incomprehensible recipient. What on earth has Obama done to deserve it. The world certainly isn't a safer place since he took office. None of his policies have even been implemented, much less produced tangible results at this stage. It's really pathetic, and you'd have to think he got it just because he's the first black president, which smacks of reverse racism.

ALL of the Nobel Prizes have become infused with political agendas and New Age sophistry. The Prize for Economics has the most tawdry record of handing out the prizes to mediocre shills for the economic liberalism (Free Trade, Monetarism, 'global' financial deregulation) that has driven the world economy into a tailspin. But if you look at the science prizes as well they seem to be awarded for increasingly trivial and technical augmentations, rather than profound advances to scientific understanding. The whole thing has become a joke.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well so far the reactions to the award are pretty much what I expected, especially from the conservatives.

I would think they would be happy that one of their own got a Nobel award, but evidently they don’t regard a black, a Democrat as one of their own, as an American. If a Democrat gets a Nobel Peace Prize, it is a bad thing, according to conservatives.

Personally I would be happy if a Canadian, any Canadian got the Nobel award, yes even Harper (though I don’t see a snowball’s chance in Hell of that happening).

But that is the emerging trend among US conservatives these days; they look at politics before they consider their country. Thus, since Obama lobbied for Chicago, Republicans were ecstatically happy that Chicago didn’t get the Olympics. When American president gets the ultimate prestige in the world, the Nobel Peace Prize, rather then being proud for America, Republicans are mad and sad because a Democrat and a black man got the award.

Pathetic, in my opinion.

Reactions: AnnaG

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Congratulations President Obama, well deserved, it's was such a breath of fresh air,
from the moment we heard your first campaign speech right up to the present,
as you are a true diplomat, striving for world peace, and willing to listen and talk
with all leaders to work with them for a good relationship.
Keep up the good work, it will rub off on other leaders and citizens to have a good
heart toward others, and see 'other's' positions in the world, and not just that of
your own country.
You have taken that childish arrogance out of the white house, and replaced it
with intelligence and grace.

Thank you

Talloola, I think that will probably be the reaction in most of the world outside USA. Obama is very popular all over the world, and I imagine many people are thinking today, couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person.

As to USA, I assume it will be split along party lines (although I don’t’ see why it should). Democrats and independents (I think independent will be glad that an American got the Nobel prize) will applaud the decision, Republicans will be furious that Bush didn’t get the Nobel prize and Obama did.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
President Obama said on Friday morning he was "most surprised and deeply humbled" by being awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honored by this prize," he added. The Daily Beast's Peter Beinart on why the award only aids the right’s arguments that Obamamania bears no relation to reality.
George W. Bush launched a “preemptive” war. Now the Nobel Committee is trying for “preemptive” peace. I had always thought the way these things worked was that you helped bring peace or democracy to some corner of the globe first, and then you won the Nobel Prize. But this year, the Nobel Committee has turned that logic around: It clearly likes what Obama is trying to do: on nuclear disarmament, climate change and Middle East peace—and so, in a “preemptive” strike, it’s giving him the award now, in hopes that doing so will boost his chances of success later. It’s an interesting idea. Perhaps next they’ll start giving Oscars not to the people who have made the best movies of last year, but to the people who have the best chance of making the best movies next year. After all, once you’ve already made the movie, you no longer need the encouragement.
Perhaps next they’ll start giving Oscars not to the people who have made the best movies of last year, but to the people who have the best chance of making the best movies next year.​
I like Barack Obama as much as the next liberal, but this is a farce. He’s done nothing to deserve the prize. Sure, he’s given some lovely speeches and launched some initiatives—on Iran, Israeli-Palestinian peace, climate change and nuclear disarmament—that might, if he’s really lucky and really good, make the world a more safe, more just, more peaceful world. But there’s absolutely no way to know if he’ll succeed, and by giving him the Nobel Prize as a kind of “atta boy,” the Nobel Committee is actually just highlighting the gap that conservatives have long highlighted: between Obamamania as global hype and Obama’s actual accomplishments.
But Obama will survive this award. The damage to the Nobel Committee itself will be greater. They’ve clearly fallen in love with celebrity, and with the idea of shaping the course of history—in other words, they’ve fallen in love with an absurdly grandiose conception of their role. The Nobel Prize Committee should be in the business of conferring celebrity on unknown human-rights and peace activists toiling in the most god-forsaken parts of the world; the people who really need the attention (and even the money). It should be in the business of angering powerful tyrants by giving their victims a moment in the sun. Choosing Barack Obama, who practically orbits the sun already, accomplishes the exact opposite of that. Let’s hope Obama eventually deserves this award. And let’s hope the Nobel Committee’s decision meets with such a deafening chorus of chortles and jeers that it never does something this stupid again.
Peter Beinart is senior political writer for The Daily Beast.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honored by this prize

You're not alone, but thanks for that dose of humility. :grommit:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This guy must be the luckiest man in the world, he does nothing and becomes President, so far he has done nothing as President except panic people with what he might do and they give him the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, all bow down for he is the Messiah, or at least the 'Anti-Christ". At least he won't be able to keep the money, it goes to the goverment.

Why won’t he be able to keep the money, ironsides? The award is to him, not to the presidency. Is there some law in USA that says that the money has to go to the government? I would think he would be able to pocket the money (he may decide not to, however).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJosephPorter, you have created a breeding ground for many of the known Canadian stereotypes to thrive. Your thread may very well be cited in research papers for years to come.

Good to hear from you after such a long time, Ranchhand. And whatever one’s political disagreements with Obama, I would think most Americans would be happy that their president got the Nobel Prize (I know I will be happy if Harper got it, though even then he will never get my vote).

But I just don’t understand this visceral hatred of Obama, which vilifies him (and the Nobel Committee) for getting the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The cut-off date for submissions for the Nobel Peace Prize for this year was
the date of February 1st, 2009. Mr. Obama took his office on January 22nd
of 2009. Including both of the above dates, what did this guy do in those
Eleven days to have his name even submitted for a Nobel Peace Prize?

I wish the Guy nothing but good will....but really....

Well said and I would really like the people that think this is well deserved explain what he did specifically to deserve the nomination. What specifically put him ahead of all other comers?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This guy must be the luckiest man in the world, he does nothing and becomes President, so far he has done nothing as President except panic people with what he might do and they give him the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, all bow down for he is the Messiah, or at least the 'Anti-Christ". At least he won't be able to keep the money, it goes to the goverment.

Luckiest man in the world? Let us see if Republicans can defeat him in 2012.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

In my view, despite whatever conservatives forces are saying to respond to the president’s winning of the Nobel Peace Prize, His Excellency single-handedly won the award when he announced the intent to close the detention centre at the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base. That detention centre was perhaps one of the largest stains on the United States of America’s reputation, and its closure speaks volumes about the new direction that this president’s vision has taken.

Isn't Guantanamo still opened?

Why hasn't he closed it?

His Excellency’s attitude of peace and negotiation with the Middle East,

And has he accomplished peace anywhere in the Middle East?

coupled with the view of nuclear disarmament and this newfound United States respect for rights, freedoms and fundamental principles of justice, is quite deserving of recognition.

We still have nukes...lots of them.

Iran is getting them soon.

It is a joke and has only gathered laughter here in the U.S.

11 Days in office and he is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Nobel prizes were supposed to be the utmost recognition of accomplishment in a field; to give anyone the peace prize based on his first months in elected office is absolute silliness, unless he/she has accomplished some stupendous achievement.

This is really, really stupid.