Cheers or jeers?? Wills and Kate arrive in Canada

Cheers or jeers for William and Kate's Canadian visit?

• Cheers!

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Jeers!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Saw an item on the Telie News from Calgary. Someone got the idea of making mini cowboy hat fascinaters ( a spin off the fascinater style of the Duchess of C. They have caught on like fire and even folks in London are taking note. What a cool idea. Good for calgary.

Some wonderful and original Canadian creativity is being showcased in a lovely informal yet not overly stated fashion.

The royal couple are winning hands down...... as they are mastering the casual , fun, formal , informal roles and adapting to the situations with an applomb of seasoned royals. AND they seem to genuinely be having fun in the process. As it should be.

The Canadian -Royal connection thrives and the tradition has value as a just that.: Traditoin based on long standing history. Figureheads all over the world do serve a certain purpose. This also seems to spare the Canadian from falling into the hero worshiip mindtrap.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am getting a real kick out of watching Will and Kate - they are so genuine, not stiff and formal at all. They do seem to be having a great time and I give them credit for attending so many events - it must be a bit grueling at times. I understand that the outfit Kate wore on Canada Day was designed by a Canadian - nice touch, Katie.

I wish them both a long and happy life together and hope they enjoy the rest of their time with us in Canada.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Kate and William head to Quebec City - Canada - CBC News

Wills and Kate come to Quebec

What a delight to see them working as such an effective team. They seem to be really enjoying each experience and especially the one at the culinary school. French-Canadian cooking at its finest .

This is one job where husband and wife must work as a well coordinated team or it shows . That is a LOT of togetherness.;-) Good thing they have a long term relationship to rely on ......even as newly weds.

So far they are excelling in all areas. Poise, confidence but not overly so, genuinely interested and enjoying themselves. A new era of Canadian/ Royal relationship is being born. a much more personal one.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm mostly ambivalent to the Royals: the monarchy does have powers under our constitution, but they are rarely invoked, to the point that most don't even realize they exist. That lends credence to the statement that the Royal family is a) well schooled to when it is and is not appropriate to intervene in the political realm and b) they are pretty well informed as to what is going on. I don't think they are a perfect solution but definately a workable one, and not worthy of replacing until we come up with something better.

Now in terms of this visit, I think its a good thing. Its minor in some ways but it is positive press for the country: we're getting some attention from outside our borders and in a positive, non-controversial light, and that is something you can neevr get enough of. We don't have to "pick a side" for something like this., we just have to be gracious hosts. I think their Royal Highnesses make it easy in many ways, because they are young enough that they don't carry a lot of the negative baggage that some other royals do. I hope they enjoy their stay, and the pictures/footage of the visit being sent abroad encourages other overseas visitors.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Kate and William head to Quebec City - Canada - CBC News

Wills and Kate come to Quebec

What a delight to see them working as such an effective team. They seem to be really enjoying each experience and especially the one at the culinary school. French-Canadian cooking at its finest .

This is one job where husband and wife must work as a well coordinated team or it shows . That is a LOT of togetherness.;-) Good thing they have a long term relationship to rely on ......even as newly weds.

So far they are excelling in all areas. Poise, confidence but not overly so, genuinely interested and enjoying themselves. A new era of Canadian/ Royal relationship is being born. a much more personal one.

They are having a good time. I like the way the police 'helped' little girls in the crowd (who had waited
a long time, holding flowers,)to move to the front so they could hand them to Kate.

The couple moved thru the crowd very willingly and shook hands and visited, as there were thousands who
had been there for hours and hours to view them.

I wish the media wouldn't refer to the few protesters, (whom I know have the right to protest), far too
often, but thats the media, they love the negativity and want to bring it to the forefront as much as
they can.
I would mention them 'once' if I was speaking, and not again.

There is so much 'good' about this visit, william's speach was so nice, and I hope they come back often
during their lifetimes.

Happy times for both of you, enjoy yourselves, we love having you here.

I am a natural born canadian, and I can assure everyone these two nice people
are not foreigners, they are one of us, and I embrace them.

When someone good comes to visit my country, I welcome them with open arms, I will not
be rude and ignorant and show anyone poor manners.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

When someone good comes to visit my country, I welcome them with open arms, I will not
be rude and ignorant and show anyone poor manners

Very well said!!! You bring a great perspective when you say" they are not "foreigners". Far too often we as a people are too divisive in our judgements and alienate or group others into certain "brands" . the word "foreigners" belongs in the past. In this highly integrated world , we are all citizens of the planet. and even the universe. There is no call for such negative terminology. I congratulate you for making a remark that is highly meaningful in today's society. When we travel......do we like to be called "foreigners" or do we prefer tourists , or even guests of the place we visit??

Words, language are our main tools. They differentiate us from the grunts and other sounds of the wildlife we share this planet with. We need to be responsible in how we use these tools.

Thanks for a thought provoking post .......and very well stated.

Have a wonderful weekend. Hope the weather on the Island is better and more consistent than on the mainland.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

be rude and ignorant and show anyone poor manners

Very well said!!! You bring a great perspective when you say" they are not "foreigners". Far too often we as a people are too divisive in our judgements and alienate or group others into certain "brands" . the word "foreigners" belongs in the past. In this highly integrated world , we are all citizens of the planet. and even the universe. There is no call for such negative terminology. I congratulate you for making a remark that is highly meaningful in today's society. When we travel......do we like to be called "foreigners" or do we prefer tourists , or even guests of the place we visit??

Words, language are our main tools. They differentiate us from the grunts and other sounds of the wildlife we share this planet with. We need to be responsible in how we use these tools.

Thanks for a thought provoking post .......and very well stated.

Have a wonderful weekend. Hope the weather on the Island is better and more consistent than on the mainland.

thank you for the kind words, and as for the weather, todays example, sunny for 30 minutes, cloudy for 30
minutes, repeat till sunset, then start up in the morning, but I like it, not too hot, quite comfortable,
as I hate the heavy heat that july usually has, when we have to sleep downstairs with the slider open
for coolness, this weather is just right for me, hardly any rain at all, just a little shower once in
a while, about 10 go 15 minutes, then gone.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
What a gracious and caring couple! I am impressed with their true heartfelt interest in Canada and it's diverse peoples. I think that the decision to come to Canada is a compliment to be felt by all Canadians.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
a bit off topic, but what is the royal families last name? Buckinham?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
a bit off topic, but what is the royal families last name? Buckinham?

Their surname is WINDSOR. Buckingham Palace is their prime residence. ( of the Queen and Philip)

THey have many titles which they go by and seldom use their surname like ordinary folks do.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Members of The Royal Family of Canada do not have surnames.

For the purposes of signatures and the administration of services, members of the Royal Family tend to use the name of whatever royal house they belong to. For all members of the current Royal Family, this is "Windsor" (as Her Majesty and most of her direct heirs are members of the House of Windsor). Members of the Royal Family used to belong to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (and therefore signed with that name), until it was changed to the English "Windsor" by His Late Majesty George V, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, due to anti-German sentiment at the time.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Members of The Royal Family of Canada do not have surnames.

For the purposes of signatures and the administration of services, members of the Royal Family tend to use the name of whatever royal house they belong to. For all members of the current Royal Family, this is "Windsor" (as Her Majesty and most of her direct heirs are members of the House of Windsor). Members of the Royal Family used to belong to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (and therefore signed with that name), until it was changed to the English "Windsor" by His Late Majesty George V, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, due to anti-German sentiment at the time.

Do they get undeserved adoration because they don't have surnames or they do not have surnames because they are adored?

They are no better and no worse than Cher, Bono or Sting.

Of course, every single one of them resembles Kramer.