Canadians overwhelmingly disagree with Trump victory

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The scary part is not that Canadians don't like a Trump victory.

The scary part is that Canadians would have celebrated a Hilary victory.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Smart enough to recognize that leaders like Wynne Trudeau and Notley are ideologues who do not represent the will of the people or look after our economic interests and will not make it past the next election cycle.

The whole world would have celebrated it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Well, if you fall off a cliff and land in a pile of crap that saves your life, wouldn't you celebrate that crap?

Now if Trudeau is smart, he'll consider the following:

Trump will reduce taxes and increase spending. In the short to medium term, this will stimulate US demand and so increase Canadian exports to the US. With this in mind, Canada should raise taxes or reduce spending and reduce the federal debt. That way when the US economy crashes in the long term, Canada will be in a better position to weather the storm. Perhaps Trudeau needs to read the story of Joseph in the Book of Genesis describing the seven years if plenty followed by seven years if famine.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Some, maybe. Holding my nose while feeling a bit relieved isn't my idea of a celebration. That whole election went way off the rails, not just the ending. The really frightening part is that they may not have been able to do any better.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Some, maybe. Holding my nose while feeling a bit relieved isn't my idea of a celebration. That whole election went way off the rails, not just the ending. The really frightening part is that they may not have been able to do any better.

I thought the whole thing was a celebration! From what I recall they never trailed the whole way! :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As opposed to a compulsively lying racist and thief who not only defended a misogynistic sexual predator, but stayed married to him just to further her own political career?
Yeah, that's what America needs, someone willing to toss their principles by the wayside (assuming she ever had any) just for a taste of power.

Did I say that? No, I made a comment concerning who they chose. There was more than just those 2 running, plus a different choice could have been made during the Republican and Democratic conventions. Instead, both parties chose those 2 and the american people made their choice from those 2.

I stand by my last statement.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Umm. . . well over half the people on this board celebrating are Canadians.

Good argument. Step one, lie. Step two, speculate based on nothing but your own hatred. Spread a nice thick layer of overgeneralization over the whole thing, and you have Anus Poutine.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You really believe the whole world is that f**king stupid? What would there be to celebrate besides Hillary preening and picking up her pay cheque every month?

Firstly, they would celebrate that she's not a racist idiot.

But more importantly, they would celebrate better foreign ties and climate change policy.