Canadian Forces?

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
Well I wanted to join the US Military but being around the Military So Much, ROTC, knowing PMC's (Private Military Contractors) and having a father in the US Army. You'd have to really live here to see why I wouldn't want too. It's rather tough to explain. Let alone being a citizen in the US for so long. I've always had a high respect for Canada and what it stands for. I see Canada as a great nation. Certainly better than some of the things going on in the US. I'm Hispanic. It's hard being a Hispanic in the US. Basing on what I've read and knowing several Canadians, it seems like a better place to me. That may sound like I'm bashing on the US. However I'm not. The most common thing said is, "it's a free country" Well, it is, I just chose to prefer another country, a better country in my opinion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well I wanted to join the US Military but being around the Military So Much, ROTC, knowing PMC's (Private Military Contractors) and having a father in the US Army. You'd have to really live here to see why I wouldn't want too. It's rather tough to explain. Let alone being a citizen in the US for so long. I've always had a high respect for Canada and what it stands for. I see Canada as a great nation. Certainly better than some of the things going on in the US. I'm Hispanic. It's hard being a Hispanic in the US. Basing on what I've read and knowing several Canadians, it seems like a better place to me. That may sound like I'm bashing on the US. However I'm not. The most common thing said is, "it's a free country" Well, it is, I just chose to prefer another country, a better country in my opinion.

That's cool. We all have our opinions and dreams. You are 23 years old and you have been a US Citizen too long? You are still a kid whether you want to believe it or not.

I think you are having a hard time fitting in somehow. However, I think you should go up there and live. I think you should join their army.

But when all is said and done... you won't.

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
Well, in no way am I trying to argue. It's not a matter of "fitting in" it's the fact that where I live is a grade a sh*t hole. Out government doesn't do a good job at fixing it either. I mean I grew up on the street's with gangs and drug dealers, sadly though. The bigger cities aren't exactly better. Same way the country is being ran (not to demean the president that's not why I'm here). However, living in US for 23 years give me quite a bit of understanding on how the US works. Personally, it isn't working for me. If anyone were to ask me "what's the US like?" I'd have the same answers I'm posting here on today. Canada has looked awesome from the start and looks better and better everyday.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, in no way am I trying to argue. It's not a matter of "fitting in" it's the fact that where I live is a grade a sh*t hole. Out government doesn't do a good job at fixing it either. I mean I grew up on the street's with gangs and drug dealers, sadly though. The bigger cities aren't exactly better. Same way the country is being ran (not to demean the president that's not why I'm here). However, living in US for 23 years give me quite a bit of understanding on how the US works. Personally, it isn't working for me. If anyone were to ask me "what's the US like?" I'd have the same answers I'm posting here on today. Canada has looked awesome from the start and looks better and better everyday.

Canada looks better and better everyday to you, yet you've never been there.

Some places in the US are bad. Same with Canada.

I'm from the US, I don't need to ask what it is like.

Where do you live? City, State?

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
It used to be that U.S. citizens could not swear allegiance to a foreign power and keep theit citizenship. To join the Canadian forces you have to swear allegiance to the queen

Canada looks better and better everyday to you, yet you've never been there.

Some places in the US are bad. Same with Canada.

I'm from the US, I don't need to ask what it is like.

Where do you live? City, State?

Robstown TX. Near Corpus Christi. And if you're from the US then I shouldn't HAVE to explain myself or how things are (again no disrespect intended) but you should know... Come on. I'm Mexican, we make a big minority in the US a huge one. We still get treated like dirt. I'm not saying Canada is a perfect utopia (no offense) but certainly in my eyes looks way better than the US by a long shot.

And I may be dead wrong, I may be chasing something that doesn't exist and find out later down the road "wow I was wrong" for now, this is my perception on things.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Robstown TX. Near Corpus Christi. And if you're from the US then I shouldn't HAVE to explain myself or how things are (again no disrespect intended) but you should know... Come on. I'm Mexican, we make a big minority in the US a huge one. We still get treated like dirt. I'm not saying Canada is a perfect utopia (no offense) but certainly in my eyes looks way better than the US by a long shot.

I am not asking you to explain how things are.

Dude... you're from Texas and want to move to Canada! Talk about a culture shock.

C'mon, Tex-Mex is part of Texas culture. I served with many Texans of Mexican ancestry. You are in a rut I'd say.

And I may be dead wrong, I may be chasing something that doesn't exist and find out later down the road "wow I was wrong" for now, this is my perception on things.

Well give it a shot. You should be visiting Canada in the dead of winter though, not when the weather is warming up.

As far as losing your US Citizenship, it is possible but not probable.

"Although a person's enlistment in the armed forces of a foreign country may not constitute a violation of U.S. law, it could subject him or her to Section 349(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1481(a)(3)] which provides for loss of U.S. nationality if an American voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship enters or serves in foreign armed forces engaged in hostilities against the United States or serves in the armed forces of any foreign country as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer. "

Just don't fight us or get promoted. :)

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
Yeah Texan wanting to move to Canada. I know... It's odd to say the least. I've always been called Canada. One thing I do hang onto as being a Texan are the fact that we can have pretty much any and every gun in the book :p

Haha I won't fight the US!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah Texan wanting to move to Canada. I know... It's odd to say the least. I've always been called Canada. One thing I do hang onto as being a Texan are the fact that we can have pretty much any and every gun in the book :p

Haha I won't fight the US!

Yeah, it won't be that easy to hang on to your guns. I am not so sure about their gun laws.

I am not so sure you are being called to Canada. I just think you are in a rut down there and a change of scenery is needed. However Canada may be the right thing for you. Give it a shot.

Oh I'm sure you won't fight the US, but don't get promoted either. It says if you are an officer or non-commisioned officer you forfeit US Citizenship. So if you join the Canucks and get promoted to Corporal... that is a non-commissioned officer.

Stick around this forum too. You will get a good sense of the Canadian people and what they are like. It is a great forum.

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
Yeah I'm sure you can't have the same weapons in Canada that you can here. I mean I go down to the local gun shop and see Berret .50 cal's and SCAR's all the time. As for the forces. I'd love to join and become a photo-journalist if anything.

As for the rut, you bet man... I mean I'm 3 hours from Mexico drug cartels and etc. *sigh* just a shame.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah I'm sure you can't have the same weapons in Canada that you can here. I mean I go down to the local gun shop and see Berret .50 cal's and SCAR's all the time. As for the forces. I'd love to join and become a photo-journalist if anything.

As for the rut, you bet man... I mean I'm 3 hours from Mexico drug cartels and etc. *sigh* just a shame.

As a 23 year old your a big boy and can make your own decisions. Running away to Canada may be a tad drastic. But if that's what you want to do then go for it.

Joining the Canadian Army to be a Photo-Jounalist! WTF! Be a Grunt... or tanker... or arty.

You just need a change of scenery. How long are you going to Canada for?

Redwings361

Mar 9, 2011
USA
I've had my share of "training" let's just leave it that. In the infantry style. Being a photographer is what I'd like to do as a career in general!

Change of scenery? Yeah exactly. I'll be there for about 2 weeks? In June.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've had my share of "training" let's just leave it that. In the infantry style. Being a photographer is what I'd like to do as a career in general!

Change of scenery? Yeah exactly. I'll be there for about 2 weeks? In June.

Unless you've been in the regular Army or Marines, you haven't. JROTC is not the infantry.

Two weeks in June. The sun will be out and all will be beautiful and warm. Then you'll move there and your first November you'll be dope slapped with the most bitter cold and snow that will blanket the ground unitl April.

And I'm just describing Massachussetts. Canada is 8 or so hours north of here. Have fun!