Canadian Cop beats doctor on her way to see patients - she was speeding

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sure Cliffy.

Why not ask this basic question: What was the good Doctor doing travelling 1.5 hours from Camrose to the nearest Edmonton hospital?... A house call ya think? On that note, sounds like she was refusing to roll down her window to address the cop.

Like I said, I think that there is a lot more to this story than what is at the surface

Let's say for sake of argument she was acting like a total b*tch! Is that an excuse to beat the sh*t out of her in a brutal and vicious manner?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The dude is already guilty? Cool.

We know she was doing 130 in a 100 zone and got pulled over.

She speaks with a heavy Romanian accent and drives a cheap car.

She's charged with assaulting a police officer under section 270 (1)(b)

Beyond that, not much more yet.

But...

Why would anyone hit a handcuffed 5'2" woman in the breasts? It don't add up.

He pressed his p e n i s into her from behind? She felt his p e n i s?

Sure looks like she landed on her face when she hit the gravel or pavement.

The story reads like she's on her way to treat a very sick patient or something. She's a dentist.

Maybe he's mad.

Maybe he's a sick woman beater with an authority complex.

Maybe he needs to be fired and go to jail.

We'll find out when more facts are known.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Nazi Cops are lose in Canada!!!

Don't the RCMP have dash cams in all there cars.. I sure it will tell the truth about the whole incident.
Guess you missed the part about the asshat being an Albertan Sheriff. RCMP showed up later with an ambulance, probably after someone phoned 911.

I will be interesting to hear what the cop's explanation is.

Right now, we have one side of the story and quite frankly, I'm thinking that she may have downplayed some of the important elements here.

Nail the cop for any and everything that they should be, but I'm just not believing that she was some innocent waif that was cooperating fully when she was then unmercilessly set upon by an unstable, schizophrenic thug.

.. Just doesn't make sense
Well, it did sound to me as if she was a bit lippy, but even then that's no cause for what she got from the asshat.
I would love to hear his version.

smallandmighty

Nominee Member
May 12, 2013
108 Mile Ranch BC
Its like I keep saying, cops are a lot more dangerous than Hells Angels.
Everyday we see more and more of this aggressive behaviour from our
police forces and nothing stops them. Highest levels of the force need
to be fired and a new training program instituted. Recruiting needs to
be done with more discretion.

LOL. That is why If I have any problems I will call the HA first and foremost, at least I know any issue will be taken care of.

Mostly to blame for this is people's blind stupidity for respecting and trusting someone just because of job, position etc in life.
I live in Camrose, and I have had a nephew visit me from back east recently and he is in the armed forces, and he seen someone pulled over the other day, and next thing you know, three more police cruisers show up. Why? Why are we having this komma kazi attitude from the people we are to trust in society. To be a police officer in this day and age is not a job of prestige or honor anymore.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My take: She was driving fast... all of us do it. I try to keep my speed to just under 20k over. They don't usually bug you for that, they just fly past you.

She was 30 k over the speed limit. He was in "a mood". He slammed on her window ( I can easily see that happening). She got p issed off and her demeanor was "challenging". He became more angry she became more challenging and defiant and then things just escalated out of control from there.

She is all over FaceBook. There are more pictures and the damage done to her is extensive.

He had no right to allow himself to lose it. And here's were it gets sticky. He is supposed to be able to "handle" this type of situation. He did not handle it in a professional manner. When she was still in the car, he was in danger as he did not know if she had weapons or even her physical abilities. However once he had her out of the car and under control, he should have restrained his temper. He did not. He definitely has anger management issues as he so aptly demonstrated.

Had she been another type of person with the ability to de-escalate a situation would it have occurred? No

Should the public have to deescalate a cop...hell no.

She has apparently in the words of her girlfriend:

"pressed forward in the Wetaskawin court house trying to get a restraining order against sheriff Behills. I have to personally thank the lady clerk at the court house and the Red Deer Judge that stayed late to get this restraining order done! And yes she did get one granted!"

So this will go further

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Pregnant woman left at side of road after husband's arrest

A Hamilton, Ont., man alleges that when he was wrongfully arrested for refusing to take a breathalyzer, Peel Regional Police left his pregnant wife and their two children stranded at the side of a Brampton road.

He also alleges that police broke his wrist during the arrest.

Ian Hanniford, 37, and his wife, Kelly-Anne Hanniford, 38, who is nine months pregnant, said they were stopped by a Peel police officer around 11 p.m. Sunday night while travelling with their three-year-old-daughter and 13-year-old son.

The Hannifords said the officer may have thought they had been at a customer appreciation party at a nearby Jamaican restaurant. Ian Hanniford said the officer asked him if he had been drinking and he replied that he had not.

The Hannifords said they told the officer they had spent the day in Brampton attending a communion at a local church, and visiting with family at a barbecue. They said they tried to show the officer church clothes in the back seat, but he ordered the driver out of the vehicle.

Ian Hanniford said he got out of the car to take a breathalyzer test, but returned to his vehicle when he saw two other officers leaning into the car and speaking with his son.

When he shut the car door and told the officers that they had no right talking to his son, his wife said that five officers swarmed her husband.

She alleges he was handcuffed, put in the back of a cruiser and taken to 22 Division in Brampton.

Kelly-Anne Hanniford told CBC News that her family's BMW was towed away, and she and her children were stranded at the side of the road.

She said a police officer told her to catch a bus or hail a cab.

Her uncle, George Hanniford, said he received a phone call from his niece shortly after the incident.

“She was so upset. She was shouting 'they're towing the car. What do I do?'” said the City of Toronto social worker, who left his Brampton home close to midnight to rescue the stranded family.

Ian Hanniford was charged with refusing to give a breath sample, and was released in 30 minutes. His car was impounded and his licence suspended for 90 days.

He said he went to Brampton Civic Hospital where he had a blood sample taken. He said the results showed that he had no alcohol in his system. Also, X-rays revealed his wrist was broken, according to Hanniford.

Peel Regional Police said they are looking into the accusations.

“Professional Standards has been made aware of the information and is currently looking into the matter,” said Staff Sergeant Dan Richardson in an email to media outlets.

Richardson said Peel police “remain committed to being a caring and transparent organization."

“Whenever allegations such as these are brought to our attention by way of a complaint, an internal investigation is launched. Community trust is important to us and we will continue to work towards maintaining the trust that the community has in Peel Regional Police.”

Pregnant woman says she was stranded after husband's arrest - Hamilton

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We have to start hiring cops with higher IQs

She said a police officer told her to catch a bus or hail a cab.
They towed the car? WTF?

Her uncle, George Hanniford, said he received a phone call from his niece shortly after the incident.

“She was so upset. She was shouting 'they're towing the car. What do I do?'” said the City of Toronto social worker, who left his Brampton home close to midnight to rescue the stranded family.
This looks very, very, very bad on them!

Ian Hanniford was charged with refusing to give a breath sample, and was released in 30 minutes. His car was impounded and his licence suspended for 90 days.

He said he went to Brampton Civic Hospital where he had a blood sample taken. He said the results showed that he had no alcohol in his system. Also, X-rays revealed his wrist was broken, according to Hanniford.
This dude is smart...good for him!!!!

Peel Regional Police said they are looking into the accusations.

“Professional Standards has been made aware of the information and is currently looking into the matter,” said Staff Sergeant Dan Richardson in an email to media outlets.

Richardson said Peel police “remain committed to being a caring and transparent organization."

“Whenever allegations such as these are brought to our attention by way of a complaint, an internal investigation is launched. Community trust is important to us and we will continue to work towards maintaining the trust that the community has in Peel Regional Police.”
The problem here is the Peter Principle; some wanger with a low IQ promoted above his level of competence. Then you get this type of result and some poor schmuck cop who is an amazing human being, will suffer down the road for this due to public perception which is no higher in scope than wanger's.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
You know, personally, any interaction I've had with the Police they have been very professional. Not once have I had any issues with them and, in fact, on more than one occasion they went beyond the call. I must admit, however, I have had very little interaction with the RCMP - a speeding ticket 40+ years ago, but that's pretty much it.

So I'm not understanding why the posters here are so down on the police. Having said that, are there times when the police over-reach their authority? They're human, so I suspect they do. Those are the instances when they hit the news. I agree that the book should be thown at those who break the law. But to simply state that all police are "nazi's" is over stating things by a long shot!!

JMHO

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You know, personally, any interaction I've had with the Police they have been very professional. Not once have I had any issues with them and, in fact, on more than one occasion they went beyond the call. I must admit, however, I have had very little interaction with the RCMP - a speeding ticket 40+ years ago, but that's pretty much it.

So I'm not understanding why the posters here are so down on the police. Having said that, are there times when the police over-reach their authority? They're human, so I suspect they do. Those are the instances when they hit the news. I agree that the book should be thown at those who break the law. But to simply state that all police are "nazi's" is over stating things by a long shot!!

JMHO
I've had one speeding ticket. It was a speed trap close to where I live and was 12 years ago. I was doing 85 in a 50K so 35 over. The road is a 4 lane and there is forested conservation areas on both sides of the road as well as a deep bend. It's an excellent place to put a speed trap as the road is huge, their equipment is well hidden and there is a nice quiet residential road which affords a place for them to flag you safely off road (where everyone blows past).

So I pulled over and right away I see a car in front of me pulled over to the side as well; Business guy in a suit standing there sweating his guts out in the heat and his Beamer has all four doors opened and stuff loaded onto the road and they are going through the trunk.
So this is not a happy day for anyone.

A young cop approaches and asks me if I'm in a hurry today. No I reply. Oh he says, you always drive this fast then? No I reply and being chatty want to keep chatting and defend myself. Luckily for me, my brain kicked in and I STFU and just sat there.

He asks me where I have been, where I am going and where I live while perusing my license. Meantime Suit Buddy looks fit to be fainting. He has his jacket off, and his tie loosened and they are busily ripping the s hit out of his car.

STFU my brain keeps screaming...so I do.

He hangs and hangs and I sat and sat. Finally he gets all happy with me. Says do I understand that the speed I was at could lose me points. WTF nooooooooooooo I don't know s hit about points. No I say I didn't.

He reduces my speed significantly, (so I don't lose points) gives me a hundred and something dollar ticket, tells me to slow down, taps on my roof and says have a nice day.

I never do over 20 now and drive very carefully around that particular bend.

Who knows what happened to buddy but I am guessing his day went down hill from there.

So yeah, they gave attitude... my goal is always to keep things level... but things can go sour quickly.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

JMHO

I think that most of cops like most of society can interact with non confrontational people in ordinary circumstances. For John Q. Public that is probably a reasonable threshold. For a cop however the threshold is much broader. He is (supposedly) trained to deal with chronically problematic people and even people considered to be dangerous. Where you and I placed in that situation might well respond "unprofessionally", the cop doesn't have that option. So when you see a smiling officer at your door returning your stray dog, you are not necessarily seeing the "whole picture".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've had one speeding ticket. It was a speed trap close to where I live and was 12 years ago. I was doing 85 in a 50K so 35 over. The road is a 4 lane and there is forested conservation areas on both sides of the road as well as a deep bend. It's an excellent place to put a speed trap as the road is huge, their equipment is well hidden and there is a nice quiet residential road which affords a place for them to flag you safely off road (where everyone blows past).

There's a stretch of road near me that's 50 kph, but it's straight and easy to hit 80 kph. There's two places within a klick the cops like to set speed traps. I always take that road at 50 exactly. Why? Establishing good habits. Since there's a speed trap there one day out of three, with my good habit the one day I'm woolgathering whilst driving, I'll be doing 50.

It's also kinda fun, because frequently some tumor with and SAV and a hard-on will get impatient and blow past me (illegal, it's one lane each way, no passing). And fairly often there'll be a speed trap when he or she does. That's two tickets, one for speeding and one for illegal passing, or maybe if the cop's in a bad mood, for reckless driving. Not a bad punishment for the tumor. Major speeding is four points, and reckless driving is six. Twelve and you lose your license.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I never do over 20 now and drive very carefully around that particular bend.

Who knows what happened to buddy but I am guessing his day went down hill from there.

So yeah, they gave attitude... my goal is always to keep things level... but things can go sour quickly.

Ooooooooooh Sal, I think at 20 over the speed limit you are "pushing the envelope" a bit. If you are doing more than 10 over, they will quite likely charge you. I try to obey the posted speed but sometimes I do drift over considerably (not hard to do when every other vehicle on the road is speeding). I never could understand what the hurry is with so many people.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
There's a stretch of road near me that's 50 kph, but it's straight and easy to hit 80 kph. There's two places within a klick the cops like to set speed traps. I always take that road at 50 exactly. Why? Establishing good habits. Since there's a speed trap there one day out of three, with my good habit the one day I'm woolgathering whilst driving, I'll be doing 50.

It's also kinda fun, because frequently some tumor with and SAV and a hard-on will get impatient and blow past me (illegal, it's one lane each way, no passing). And fairly often there'll be a speed trap when he or she does. That's two tickets, one for speeding and one for illegal passing, or maybe if the cop's in a bad mood, for reckless driving. Not a bad punishment for the tumor. Major speeding is four points, and reckless driving is six. Twelve and you lose your license.

You on the metric system down there?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

LOL... that's a pile of tickets.

Speaking of blowing past... the cars coming towards us on that bend are usually a wonderful indicator of whether the police are sitting there or not. So when I casually and carefully drive in the far right lane, see on-coming traffic all obediently doing the limit and some wanger blows past me on my left, yeah, I have to admit to a little smile of satisfaction when I get around the bend and drive past their azz sitting at the side. Sometimes a single car will sit there and just gun you. Then they chase their azz. It amazes me that some are going so fast and are so unaware of their surroundings with a cop following and his lights going that they make it almost as far as the mall three city blocks down. Freaking need to be raked over the coals for that stupidity.

Ooooooooooh Sal, I think at 20 over the speed limit you are "pushing the envelope" a bit. If you are doing more than 10 over, they will quite likely charge you. I try to obey the posted speed but sometimes I do drift over considerably (not hard to do when every other vehicle on the road is speeding). I never could understand what the hurry is with so many people.
Well JLM it is habit, and you are likely correct, it is pushing the envelope. I drove our 401 corridor almost daily for so many years and I always still speed at the 120k an hour there when my contract means a daily work commute. (not in freezing rain though.) :D

I will also admit to bumping it well past that on a dry road with only early morning commuter traffic and I am only going with the flow. I find commuter traffic much faster on the average than weekend drivers or occasional 401ers , but also find those drivers more road aware in general.

Usually the speed traps on the 401 only bother with ya over 20 or even 25. When the cops are doing a transport on the 401 they blow past ya usually at around 130 or 140. If you get in behind them and stay back a bit, it's a nice fast ride. lol

In the city I try to stay close to the limit not because I am a good girl but because I believe as we age our reaction timing slows. Also there are many bad drivers out there and they do utterly stupid moves. So in a large city, with stupid people I try to be super aware at all times. It is easy to mind-zone too when in familiar territory. That is dangerous for sure.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It is just reaching epidemic proportions.

I doubt that. It's certainly being reported more, likely because the capability to record these encounters is far more available today than it was decades ago.

Why not ask this basic question: What was the good Doctor doing travelling 1.5 hours from Camrose to the nearest Edmonton hospital?

This strikes you as strange?