Canadian actress Ellen Page comes out of the closet.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I think it's her who was in that crappy movie where she played a girl who was pregnant.

Well as an 'out of the loop' person I had never heard of her but you are correct.

She was in a movie called JUNO which I find even more surprising as I would have thought a movie with that name would have been related to WW2.....

Page received an Oscar nomination for best actress for her role in Juno, which also featured Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman. She also starred in Smart People, Whip It, Inception and X-Men: The Last Stand.

Juno is a 2007 Canadian-American comedy-drama film directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody. Ellen Page stars as the title character, an independent-minded teenager confronting an unplanned pregnancy and the subsequent events that put pressures of adult life onto her. Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney, and J. K. Simmons also star. Filming spanned from early February to March 2007 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(film)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The announcement is nothing more than a publicity stunt designed to increase her cache as an actress. The announcement is commercially driven.

And a lot of times the roles dry up because of the announcement. Not all the actors/actresses have the clout of Jodie Foster after all. I would think, if anything, the timing of it is to coincide with the Olympics in Russia than for publicity to garner more roles.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Some have made good careers by being openly gay or lesbian.

Or saying they are, or not refuting allegations they are; I can't remember if it helped the careers of Burton Cummings or Rod Stewart when it was reported they were gay, even though they weren't. but it sure didn't seem to hurt. I guess any publicity is good publicity as long as the "ïck factor" boundaries are respected.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or saying they are, or not refuting allegations they are; I can't remember if it helped the careers of Burton Cummings or Rod Stewart when it was reported they were gay, even though they weren't. but it sure didn't seem to hurt. I guess any publicity is good publicity as long as the "ïck factor" boundaries are respected.

Liberace. Nobody noticed the obvious.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Zachery Quinto comes to mind. He's not hurting for work.

That's true. But there are some actors that still won't come out of the closet (not that they need to, mind you) due to fear of backlash, particularly if they are members of Scientology.