Canada’s spanking law must go

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What would you like to use? LOL

Wooden spoon okay for you? ;)

You can bring all your toys.

The law does not protect child abusers. It protects parents who use corporal punishment to discipline their child from criminal charges.. If a doctor or some other expert judges the parent's corporal punishment crosses the line, the parent can still be charged and hopefully authorities will exercise judgement and act in the best interest of the child.

Which is?
Somehow I don't think letting social workers remove a kid from their home and stick them in foster care because he got a spanking is in the kid's best interest.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I agree with you TS... provided that "spanking" isn't child abuse... Its a judgement call. I'd say if the spanking leaves a bruise or some other injury then it crosses the line. But I also believe in shades of grey rather than black and white. Its entirely possible for a well intentioned parent to injure/abuse their child with corporal punishment... In which case social workers should remove the child from the home until the parent is deemed a fit parent after taking some sort of training/counseling.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I agree with you TS... provided that "spanking" isn't child abuse... Its a judgement call. I'd say if the spanking leaves a bruise or some other injury then it crosses the line. But I also believe in shades of grey rather than black and white. Its entirely possible for a well intentioned parent to injure/abuse their child with corporal punishment... In which case social workers should remove the child from the home until the parent is deemed a fit parent after taking some sort of training/counseling.

Even then its a grey area,some will place spanking at the same level as if the parents were beating the kid with a 2x4,as for making a good judgment,from what i saw over the years,some judges lack judgment and common sense,one judge if i remember acquited a guy who sodomised a teen girl saying "He preserved her virginity" just cause the creep was from another ethnic minority,and years before another moron judge said "Les lois sont comme les femmes,elles sont faites pour etre violées" laws are like women,they are made to be violated.

only a retard would say something like that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'd say slight misdemeanors like telling the teacher to "Shove off" deserves a bruise or two.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think I can ever recall getting a spanking as punishment when I was a child. But then again, being a big sister with two little brothers to blame stuff on has it's perks.;)

I've given my kids slaps on the hand or a swat or two across the buttocks, mostly to make a point. Don't touch that, keep clear, that's dangerous. In no way, shape or form was it abusive; when kids are under 5 in particular it can be often be very necessary to impress upon them quickly why something should not be touched, tasted, thrown, or otherwise sampled. The sting of a slap gets the point across more often than not.

I think SLM said it best. A bit of corporal guidance can be quite useful. Abuse is something else entirely.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
:rolleyes:
I'm right warped and my mother broke so many wooden spoons over my backside she couldn't count and I think my dad ended up with all his belts stretched. Didn't phase me a bit. :D But then all my warpage did was cause a satisfaction of curiosity, a few hair-raising events, and finally resulted in a twisted sense of humor. :D Haven't mangled anyone, haven't killed anyone, I don't steal stuff, etc.
Wifey got all uppity one time when I swatted the backside of our youngest till I explained that it was to get her attention and it was a flat-handed swat on her diaper-padded behind which made more noise than having any other physical effect. It worked. After that I just clapped once or twice loudly. Worked like a charm.

No laws will prevent abuse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
:rolleyes:
I'm right warped and my mother broke so many wooden spoons over my backside she couldn't count and I think my dad ended up with all his belts stretched. Didn't phase me a bit. :D But then all my warpage did was cause a satisfaction of curiosity, a few hair-raising events, and finally resulted in a twisted sense of humor. :D Haven't mangled anyone, haven't killed anyone, I don't steal stuff, etc.
Wifey got all uppity one time when I swatted the backside of our youngest till I explained that it was to get her attention and it was a flat-handed swat on her diaper-padded behind which made more noise than having any other physical effect. It worked. After that I just clapped once or twice loudly. Worked like a charm.

No laws will prevent abuse.

Try to tell these anti gun lunatics that! :lol:

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Should spanking be a criminal offense in Canada? The Canadian Medical Association thinks so
How many of you were spanked as a child?

Chances are a great number of children born before the 80s experienced at least one well-timed thwap on the behind after doing something particularly naughty. And it's likely that few tots of the 50s and 60s managed to escape without some form of corporal punishment, whether it came from an angry teacher or a frustrated caregiver.

Though spanking has become a topic of charged debate in the decades since, it is still classified as "allowable corrective punishment" in Section 43 of the Canadian Criminal Code. This means parents can threaten a good spanking without facing legal repercussions.

But that could change if the Canadian Medical Association Journal gets its way.

As the Globe and Mail reports, the prestigious publication is urging Canada to ban the practice outright and even change the legislation to make it illegal for parents to lay a swift hand on their children.

"I'm not sure the message has got out that regular physical punishment isn't a good way to get kids to behave properly and can lead to later problems," CMAJ editor-in-chief John Fletcher explains. "It is time for Canada to remove this anachronistic excuse for poor parenting from the statute book."

Fletcher's assertions are supported by an increasing pile of scientific research.

A 2010 study in Pediatrics magazine asserts that frequently spanked children are more likely to act out aggressively in the future.