Canada’s spanking law must go

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Since its only boys who get ritalin "apparently" it would be preferable if schools,had the stuff needed so boys will get lots of exercise,so they would be quiet when its time to listen in class.

"apparently" you know nothing about boys, nothing about Ritalin, and nothinga bout our school system.

You're well equipped to be an interfering parent. Carry on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As a parent, I can remember the times I meat-ed out a spanking. I did that three times.
All three, were for things where the child could have been really hurt or hurt someone
else.
I have often wondered how we can rationalize hitting a kid to get them to stop hitting
some other kid. Don't be violent, whack. How does this work. Make a punishment
a learning experience and one where the parent doesn't get punished, punishing the
child. Never did agree with spanking it does not solve the problem or enforce a change
in behavior

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With these things you can teach a kid to use vernier calipers like a pro inside of an hour.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I guess like other laws,this one didn't prevent some to beat the living crap out of their kids.
A little tap on the a$$,will not make an emotionally disturbed kid,most of us were spanked when we were kids,did we turn into what these "experts claimed"?

Man, I got the belt, the open handed punches, the slamming up against the wall.... the whole nine yards with sprinkles.

Most of the time it was well deserved.

However, times have changed and so have I..... the only time I'd think of giving my son a good crack would be if they first hit myself or his mother.... or if he attacked someone else / another child..... or perhaps if he did something that could have killed him.

In every other situation, I have a nice long list of things I can do that'll provide many lessons in what consequences are. :twisted:

• Cleaning out his room with a garbage bag & saying goodbye to his toys
• Burning the garbage bag if that doesn't work
• If he gets a computer, a game or phone and does something very very wrong, I won't just parental lock those things, or password/restrict them.... I won't just take them away..... they will be either destroyed with a hammer, my boot or dismantled into several pieces and those pieces sent to the four corners of the world (or just hidden away somewhere, like my desk at work) until he learns what he did was wrong.
• Later on in life, Facebook, Hotmail/Email accounts and other online details will be removed or heavily restricted.

Among many many other ideas I have been thinking about for a few years now..... And I've never.... ever been one of those people who say "This is your first warning..... this is your second warning..... this is your third and last warning.... did you not hear my 3rd & last warning? This is your final warning....."

Oh no no.... that sh*t don't fly with me.... you get one warning at best.... after that, look the hell out. I say what I mean and I do what I say. You've been warned once, you heard me loud and clear.... I said once and very clear to your face that if you didn't stop doing that, I wouldn't just take your Wii away and lock it in the closet to give back to you later, I would hammer the b-jesus out of it so it would never work again and I won't be buying you a second one...... you tried to call my bluff, now say goodbye to your Wii.

Keep this crap up and I'll find something else you love to destroy.

If I run out of things you care about and you still haven't learned anything about consequences for your actions..... maybe military school will set you straight.

If that doesn't work, maybe I'll have a little chat with your grandfather's buddies in the RCMP to see if they have an extra bed in a cell during March Break for you to stay in for a week, while all your friends are outside playing without a care in the world.

Want to test me further??

We can move to stage 2 in my punishment list if you like.....

One thing I learned growing up in my family, is that you don't fk around testing your parent's tolerance.

My dad had it good as a child growing up in the 50's/60's.... he had a BB Gun that was designed like a Daisy Peacemaker Revolver... he shot my aunt in the head through a mesh screen which she still has the scar, he shot my uncle while riding his bike and made him wipe out down a hill.... and later when my grandfather was setting up targets in the back yard, he bent down and got shot in the ass by my dad, just because it was right there..... so my grandfather chased him around the house several times before he caught him and then shot him in the ass with the bb gun.

Funny thing was that my Grandfather didn't know anything about the other incidences until we were all sitting around talking about it a few years back..... I could see my grandfather just glaring at dad, thinking about giving him a good crack.... even though it was like 30-40 some years later. :lol:

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of the rolls of a parent is to help the kid survive until he/she is old enough
to know better. I once saw a kid yank his hand out of his mother's grasp and
run into the street where a car screeched to almost a stop and knocked the kid
on his ass. If a smack on the butt gets the kid to listen, it is worth it.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
With these things you can teach a kid to use vernier calipers like a pro inside of an hour.

And that is a point lost on some that would consider the abuse angle in this.

I likely got a slap or a whack maybe a dozen times in my childhood career for varying idiot and repeat offenses. Ya learn pretty well what's what.

After that phase, the 'look' or the ' wait until your father gets home' warning was sufficient.

I haven't grown to hate or fear him or resent my mom due to a couple of smacks or clips on the ear.

Just paid heed to the rules man. I knew I could be a deliberate arsehole even at 10, so it served me best to adjust my attitude and behavior forthwith.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Funny thing over the recent years,in the US and Canada,there was "i think" if its done the moronic suggestion to send the parents in jail if the kids misbehave "great idea,lets do something retarded" like sending the parents to the slammer will fix things.

It makes a person think twice before having kids,make babies risk going to jail if at 12 or 14 he/she does something bad.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think I can ever recall getting a spanking as punishment when I was a child. But then again, being a big sister with two little brothers to blame stuff on has it's perks.;)

I've given my kids slaps on the hand or a swat or two across the buttocks, mostly to make a point. Don't touch that, keep clear, that's dangerous. In no way, shape or form was it abusive; when kids are under 5 in particular it can be often be very necessary to impress upon them quickly why something should not be touched, tasted, thrown, or otherwise sampled. The sting of a slap gets the point across more often than not.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't think I can ever recall getting a spanking as punishment when I was a child. But then again, being a big sister with two little brothers to blame stuff on has it's perks.;).
That is the exact reason why Hot Wheels tracks and I became so familiar. When the younger two picked up on the "blame the middle man" it got worse.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I was the oldest. Took it for the team. My sister and brother still send monthly cheques.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The law does not protect child abusers. It protects parents who use corporal punishment to discipline their child from criminal charges.. If a doctor or some other expert judges the parent's corporal punishment crosses the line, the parent can still be charged and hopefully authorities will exercise judgement and act in the best interest of the child.