Canada's population surpasses 33 million.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
After she made that comment, I knew she had to been born outside of Canada, or that our education system is really getting bad. ;)

She won that riding under Jack Layton. The Liberals will retake it in 2015.

She was talking about the number that are willing to fight for human rights.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Excessive stability can be as bad as unlimited growth as it leads to stagnation which is a slower way to die than just using all the resources we need to survive. We need slower, sustainable growth that continues to let us evolve.
lol Who says evolution can't continue under stable population? Evolution continues as long as there is life, period.

33 million? That's nothing, especially for a country the size of the whole of Europe.

Britain has a population of 63 million, and it will rise to 75 million by 2040.
And you are perfectly welcome to it. I like my elbow room.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Yep. Population wise, sure. GDP wise, Shanghai isn't even close. Two Shanghai would be about 30% of our gross domestic product.
Yep. Population wise, sure. GDP wise, Shanghai isn't even close. Two Shanghai would be about 30% of our gross domestic product.
What bout China 's GDP vs Canada's GDP.............not even close .

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What bout China 's GDP vs Canada's GDP.............not even close .

Nope, not really close. For every dollar we produce, China produces 5, however. There's almost 40 Chinese for every 1 Canadian. So, one Canadian produces about 8 times more economic activity than one Chinese person.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Nope, not really close. For every dollar we produce, China produces 5, however. There's almost 40 Chinese for every 1 Canadian. So, one Canadian produces about 8 times more economic activity than one Chinese person.
What does Canada produce?....natural resources ?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What does Canada produce?....natural resources ?

No, though that's what most people think. Mostly services, the service industry accounts for nearly 4/5ths of our GDP. Manufacturing is about 13%. Energy is 3%. Agriculture, forestry and fishing is about 2.2%. Coincidentally China is now putting more emphasis on their domestic economy.

Canada is a world leader in agriucultural, energy, and forestry exports, but these are only small parts of the total Canadian economy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, though that's what most people think. Mostly services, the service industry accounts for nearly 4/5ths of our GDP. Manufacturing is about 13%. Energy is 3%. Agriculture, forestry and fishing is about 2.2%. Coincidentally China is now putting more emphasis on their domestic economy.

Canada is a world leader in agriucultural, energy, and forestry exports, but these are only small parts of the total Canadian economy.

That's all very nice but generally speaking to generate money you have to kill something or mine something. Services just spread money around that is already there. :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's all very nice but generally speaking to generate money you have to kill something or mine something. Services just spread money around that is already there. :smile:

That's not true. You can purchase goods manufactured elsewhere and sell them once you import them.

Or sell value added products by importing raw materials and processing them into something more valuable.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
And which of those good were produced without mining something or killing something?

I wasn't denying that producing goods requires materials that are dead or mined...I was denying that service industries simply spread money around that is already there. That's not true, they add value. A cup of coffee from Tim Horton's is sold for more than the cost of all the raw materials and inputs...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Cereal grains and oil seed are dead when harvested.

You're catching on real good, Petros.....................Ton will get it figured out! :smile:

I wasn't denying that producing goods requires materials that are dead or mined...I was denying that service industries simply spread money around that is already there. That's not true, they add value. A cup of coffee from Tim Horton's is sold for more than the cost of all the raw materials and inputs...

But that is NOT generating money, it's just taking it out of the consumers' pockets! :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You're catching on real good, Petros.....................Ton will get it figured out! :smile:

What's there to figure out? I was talking to China about the GDP contributions of various secotrs in our economy, and you're on about creating money. Economic activity creates money. Investments create money. A corporation gets a loan from a bank, and that turns into economic activity which drives our GDP up...

But that is NOT generating money, it's just taking it out of the consumers' pockets! :smile:

So, then where is all the money coming from? If services account for 80% of our GDP, how can you explain the difference in dollar figures? Give it a try.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, you're trying to tell me that if I catch a fish, kill it, gut it, and sell it to you for a dollar, that I created the money that you're paying me with? How is that any different than if I pick up a rock and sell it to you for a dollar? How is that any different than if I brew a pot of coffee and sell a cup to you for a dollar?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So, you're trying to tell me that if I catch a fish, kill it, gut it, and sell it to you for a dollar, that I created the money that you're paying me with? How is that any different than if I pick up a rock and sell it to you for a dollar? How is that any different than if I brew a pot of coffee and sell a cup to you for a dollar?

Killing a fish and mining a rock both fall under the criteria I mention. Something was killed to generate the coffee.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Killing a fish and mining a rock both fall under the criteria I mention. Something was killed to generate the coffee.

Right, but you're telling me these things generated money. Selling the fish I killed is no different than selling you a cup of coffee. You already had the dollar. How did I create the dollar you're paying me with? I didn't. I believe you said somethign about spreading money aroiund that is already there. The money is created in the service sector. Banking.