Canada's oil imports from Saudi Arabia on the rise

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks to NAFTA which industry doesn't use Chinese parts?
Auto part production used to be a big part of the manufacturing output of this region. It's demise caused a recession here but the region has gradually recovered. Some perfectly fine machining operations went down, though and I personally know a handful of Engineers who got their golden handshake during that transition. That sort of job shop survived if they had a good custom run capability ... i.e. higher technology. The future of manufacturing in all of North America is time sensitive, custom runs. The "million identical widget" production has all gone to cheap labour places, never go return and NAFTA had exactly diddly squat to do with those basic economics.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Auto part production used to be a big part of the manufacturing output of this region. It's demise caused a recession here but the region has gradually recovered. Some perfectly fine machining operations went down, though and I personally know a handful of Engineers who got their golden handshake during that transition. That sort of job shop survived if they had a good custom run capability ... i.e. higher technology. The future of manufacturing in all of North America is time sensitive, custom runs. The "million identical widget" production has all gone to cheap labour places, never go return and NAFTA had exactly diddly squat to do with those basic economics.

Had everything to do with it by farming out parts manufacturing and bringing it back to be assembled it qualified tariff free under the agreement. Including Mexico in the deal allowed businesses to take advantage of the low wages for full assembly qualifying for tariff free status.

Japanese companies took advantage of this as well by shipping their parts and assembling in NA they beat the tariffs as well

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is because Ontariowe and Quebec priced themselves out of the manufacturing market despite trudOWE devaluing our dollar to protect it. At great expense to the rest of the economy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Had everything to do with it by farming out parts manufacturing and bringing it back to be assembled it qualified tariff free under the agreement. Including Mexico in the deal allowed businesses to take advantage of the low wages for full assembly qualifying for tariff free status.
Japanese companies took advantage of this as well by shipping their parts and assembling in NA they beat the tariffs as well
Note that the JAp factories are all a long ways from where CAW had control.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I agree they negotiated a non CAW deal but they still had to assemble someplace in NA to beat the tariffs. They first wanted to set up their plants in the West, but Ottawa and Ont. vetoed the deal unless they set up in the East.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That is because Ontariowe and Quebec priced themselves out of the manufacturing market despite trudOWE devaluing our dollar to protect it. At great expense to the rest of the economy.
All that happened back when TrudOwe was a snowboard teacher.

Do all you guys live in caves?

That would explain your Neanderthal politics and philosophies.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I agree they negotiated a non CAW deal but they still had to assemble someplace in NA to beat the tariffs. They first wanted to set up their plants in the West, but Ottawa and Ont. vetoed the deal unless they set up in the East.
why would anyone set up a car factory in the west?

A blatant lie

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Centered in the middle of the country with direct routes into the US save money on transportation costs, among the rest of the savings they coulda had.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Bombardier is building a new assembly facility for airliners in Toronto.

http://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bombardi...lagship-jetliner-at-pearson-airport-1.1357470

Nobody drives GMs anymore, anyway except for great grandpa and area backwards hillbillies out in the sticks. You sure don't see them around here and they'll only be missed in Oshawa.

THE USUAL LIE-beral shell game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe I should call it a SHILL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the article you cite STATES SPECIFICALLY that the work force will stay "pretty much the same size"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The move represents the usual Bombardier CRAP - sucking around for CHEAPER RENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They probably got GOVT SUBSIDIES for the move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it all adds up to YOUR usual Red Tory/ LIE-beral Lite BULLSH+T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
All that happened back when TrudOwe was a snowboard teacher.

Do all you guys live in caves?

That would explain your Neanderthal politics and philosophies.

GOOD GOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK WHAT TAX SLAVE HAS DONE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has me agreeing with Comrade Curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-beral Jean Chretien HAD THREE TERMS AS PRIME MINISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it was under Chretien that the Cdn dollar reached 63cents U.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is LIE-beral Chretien who was the most masterful

CURRENCY CRUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT OUR IDIOT BOY Justin..........................................

who was - as Comrade Curious points out.........................................

a beardless punk snow boarder at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly he is now just an AGING PUNK.......................

who will soon be UNEMPLOYED ................................

but he can go back to snowboarding - courtesy of Dads trust fund........................

and his tax payer funded PENSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
After he got let go from teaching for dating under age school girls?

OH HUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will distress the hemerHOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are referring to a poorly hidden secret that hemerHOID apparently does not know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And hemerHOID IS CLEARLY already mentally very distressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might send him right over the edge with a bit more careless talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you send him some newspaper clippings or suitable e-mailed links!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be fun to watch hemerHOID go on a WILD mental toboggan ride like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!