Canada no longer leading the G7 in economic growth

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
People who get money because they can't pay their bills, are known to be on Welfare.
When they keep doing this year after year, they are know as "Welfare Bums" !!

Welfare bums have no credibility on money or economic matters. Their lack of knowledge on finances is what got them in the situation their in, in the first place.
Anything they say regarding money, is usually nonsense and is not even worth listening to or reading !!!

You have zero credibility, period. .

Last edited by a moderator:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
BTW.... Welfare isn't giving money "because they can't pay their bills"....

It's frightening how this kind of American semantics on liberty is deluding a lot of people here.

Last edited by a moderator:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's OK, we just need your back yard for a refinery, not finding the actual oil... Hell, the pipelines are already in place so we can ship the crude direct.

So, sound like a plan?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
A tax break to an industry that is not universally applicable to other industries is essnetially a subsidy.

A subsidy is a cash infusion, end of story.

But how about I ask you the same Q that Flossy is ducking... How about the provinces and feds institute a royalty charge of up to 40% on any and every natural resource in all provinces?

You game for that?

As expected Flossy... Mind you, you actually lasted a couple of posts this time before you retreated to your standard MO.

You're getting better!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
But how about I ask you the same Q that Flossy is ducking... How about the provinces and feds institute a royalty charge of up to 40% on any and every natural resource in all provinces?

You game for that?

If the only way you can take criticism is to fabricate some delusional policy on the opposite end of the spectrum, you're not going to get much cooperation from me.

By that logic, I could suggest you support shooting anyone who is not in the private sector.

You game for that?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That's OK, we just need your back yard for a refinery, not finding the actual oil... Hell, the pipelines are already in place so we can ship the crude direct.

So, sound like a plan?

Mississauga has a refinery of sorts. Suncor has a lubricants refinery within the city.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada no longer leading the G7 in economic growth

OTTAWA — It's going to get harder for Prime Minister Harper and his ministers to keep boasting that Canada is No. 1 among economic rivals.

As the year unfolds, analysts say it will become increasingly apparent that Canada no longer leads the G7 in economic growth and job creation. And as unlikely as it seems, it's the United States -- troubled as that country remains -- that's likely to relegate Canada to second place, if not third behind Germany.

Not surprising in the least. We've had more or less steady growth while other countries have foundered. When you are at or close to zero, any gains at all can translate to big percentages! :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
If the only way you can take criticism is to fabricate some delusional policy on the opposite end of the spectrum, you're not going to get much cooperation from me.

That's the policy for oil/gas Flossy... Look it up if ya like.

All I'm asking for is simple equality - that's it.

By that logic, I could suggest you support shooting anyone who is not in the private sector.

You game for that?

You're not in the private sector, right?

Sure, I'm game - why I'll even provide the gun AND register it to boot.

Just 'cause I like ya (well, kinda, maybe) I'll give you a 1 minute head start.

This is gvt sanctioned, right?

Will I have to enter a lottery and get a Flossy tag?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Not surprising in the least. We've had more or less steady growth while other countries have foundered. When you are at or close to zero, any gains at all can translate to big percentages! :smile:

Except that we've been making steady gains in unemployment since October and we're back to where we started before the election.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Except that we've been making steady gains in unemployment since October.

Comes with the season and the stats aren't really all that convincing- probably a lot to do with the numbers drawing E.I. also probably very little reflection of self-employed numbers.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Comes with the season and the stats aren't really all that convincing- probably a lot to do with the numbers drawing E.I. also probably very little reflection of self-employed numbers.

See updated graph.

It's not a seasonal thing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A subsidy is a cash infusion, end of story.

So let me get this straight. If I get a tax break that you are not entitled to, that's fair in your opinion?

You game for that?

Yup. This would push the cost of resources up, no doubt, and would likely hurt our resource industry.

However, it would also allow the government to eventually lower income taxes, which in turn to benefit our value-added industries, not to mention that such a royalty would also be more user-pay than income taxes overall.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
So let me get this straight. If I get a tax break that you are not entitled to, that's fair in your opinion?

Let me give you the skinny on tax breaks Machjo... If you're not entitled to it, the CRA sends you a bill + fines.

Clear now?

Yup. This would push the cost of resources up, no doubt, and would likely hurt our resource industry.

However, it would also allow the government to eventually lower income taxes, which in turn to benefit our value-added industries, not to mention that such a royalty would also be more user-pay than income taxes overall.

Yup, it sure would increase the cost... Add on a tax at the retail level that more than doubles the producer's price and the cost drives up further.

But that's OK - it'll generate more tax revenues!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Mississauga has a refinery of sorts. Suncor has a lubricants refinery within the city.

Just saw your post Durka.

My understanding is that the first oil discovery made in Canada was in Ontario.

To be honest, there is a strong case to be made in shipping crude oil (possibly bitumen?) to Eastern Canada. Some of the refining capacity is already in place and there are port facilities to handle the transportation/distribution.

Myself, I would be fully behind driving that p/l prior to shooting it down to Texas, however, because the cost of building/upgrading refineries is so prohibitive, I would assume that there would be few takers in developing the infrastructure and facilities.

As far as the Suncor facility is concerned, I'm not sure how I would feel about supporting a refinery within the borders of a city. I would lean towards there being real potential health concerns associated them.. Proximity to neighbourhoods, schools, etc would be a big negative for me.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Just saw your post Durka.

My understanding is that the first oil discovery made in Canada was in Ontario.

To be honest, there is a strong case to be made in shipping crude oil (possibly bitumen?) to Eastern Canada. Some of the refining capacity is already in place and there are port facilities to handle the transportation/distribution.

Myself, I would be fully behind driving that p/l prior to shooting it down to Texas, however, because the cost of building/upgrading refineries is so prohibitive, I would assume that there would be few takers in developing the infrastructure and facilities.

As far as the Suncor facility is concerned, I'm not sure how I would feel about supporting a refinery within the borders of a city. I would lean towards there being real potential health concerns associated them.. Proximity to neighbourhoods, schools, etc would be a big negative for me.

Mississauaga at one point had three refineries within the city, although it wasn't nearly as populated then from what I read. Ontario in total has 4 refineries, with output around 400,000 bpd. Not sure if that's ME oil they're refining or North American?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Mississauaga at one point had three refineries within the city, although it wasn't nearly as populated then from what I read. Ontario in total has 4 refineries, with output around 400,000 bpd. Not sure if that's ME oil they're refining or North American?

3 refineries within city limits... I'll bet that they were not very popular with the residents. Are you located in Mississauga?