Canada Jobless Rate Rose for Third Month in December to 7.5%

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Re #41
Right,your fifty five-ish,and the mill you just worked at for thirty years just shut down,no problem,just head out to the promised land,load up on milk & honey.You've done this have you,or at least you'd have no problem doing it if the problem came up ?
Some of you goomers aren't very realistic.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Not everyone who wants a job has one, the problem our country faces is that we
have not kept up with proper training. Training programs were cut over the years
as governments called the expenses, instead of investments in the future.
There are all kinds of jobs and not enough trained people to take them across the
country. In addition there are parts of the country where the jobless rate rose to
quickly in changing times and people don't react immediately either. Then there
are the people who are looking for work, that ran out of EI and they no longer
qualify for benefits. If they don't show up on the rolls they are considered to be
working and that is also misleading.
This country is going to get a huge adjustment shortly and it won't be pretty. All
the talk about how Harper saved us is about to be put to the test. It should also be
remembered. if a government takes credit for something wonderful and it goes
sour they must also take the blame, none of this oh, its a world wide recession thing.
Taking credit ahead of the curve can backfire and this is a case where that may soon
happen to Harper.

OMG, there are ALL KINDS of training programs out there if one cares to look!! If there was a cut back, it was likely because there were so many of them and they couldn't fill their "quotas" - thus the cuts! In order for a "program" to work, they have specific goals and if those goals aren't met, the funding is cut.

Just so's yuh know....

Yeah, I'm hearing more and more that if you're over 40 and, especially over 50 in good health, active and ready to work, no one will hire you at that age (or it's very difficult). I think the biggest reason is that companies feel, because of experience) they have to pay "top dollar" when in fact, all they need to do is pay a "reasonable" wage. Most individuals my age just want to work, share our knowledge and get a decent pay cheque until we chose to retire. And no, I don't want to work for minimum wages which is insulting in and of itself. I also don't want (or need) a $30/hr job either. I suppose though, having said that, there are those who feel they deserve the "big bucks" and refuse to settle for less. Somehow, I think that's self defeating, but hey, that's just me.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about my job, but I know of others who have gone through this and have ended up taking an "early" retirement because they couldn't find work, even though they have the skills needed (and government claims are in short supply). Doesn't make sense to me but there you have it!

JMO

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Re #41
Right,your fifty five-ish,and the mill you just worked at for thirty years just shut down,no problem,just head out to the promised land,load up on milk & honey.You've done this have you,or at least you'd have no problem doing it if the problem came up ?
Some of you goomers aren't very realistic.

The land of milk and honey still flows in Wild Rose country the heartland of opportunity.

The mayor of Calgary did his eastern Canada tour begging for people to move to his city because of a labour shortage.

I have also read that the province of Saskatchewan is having the same problem

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/front-page-news/alberta-continues-to-lead-country-in-job-creation-1712.html

http://www.lloydminstersource.com/News/tabid/68/entryid/1546/Default.aspx

Adrian8100

Time Out
Feb 28, 2012
The strong reason is economic recession in whole the world...i'm totally agree that now some companies are also seeking to trim labor costs.Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this.