Canada Jobless Rate Rose for Third Month in December to 7.5%

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I think that people that are out of work have to accept whatever contracts they can get when they come up. So many people hold off, choosing to wait for that full time contract, but I have found that by accepting a series of shorter term contracts it's quite possible to manage. I don't get rich, but my lawn guy is still employed. Furthermore, being hired for the full time position usually takes a few weeks with initial and second interviews, decision times and so on. Most organizations are willing to accept that the "start time" has to accommodate everyone so there's no real advantage to turning down short term contracts while waiting for long term fulltime positions.

As for EI, I did that for the first time a couple of years ago and it seems to me that there was a very short window for filng the paperwork, which is done with one walk-in visit to the appropriate office (with all the correct paperwork). After that, everything could be done online. I never waited to talk to anyone on the phone. I found it to be a very smooth process. Because I worked when I could, while on EI, I was encouraged to apply to have the 50 weeks extended ... but didn't bother. How does it work filing an EI claim from a year ago?

They owed me from a year ago and I couldnt refile untill I finished off that claim.Go figure........I still took the $400.00 as I havent had a cheque since november.

I find EI is about one of the most efficient govt. organizations I ever had to deal with,it takes you ten minutes to apply online and usually a week after you fill your report to get paid.
Thats why I find it strange that you cant get on the govt. website and you get a busy signal when calling the 1 800#

Last edited:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
They owed me from a year ago and I couldnt refile untill I finished off that claim.Go figure........I still took the $400.00 as I havent had a cheque since november.

I find EI is about one of the most efficient govt. organizations I ever had to deal with,it takes you ten minutes to apply online and usually a week after you fill your report to get paid.
Thats why I find it strange that you cant get on the govt. website and you get a busy signal when calling the 1 800#

It was something like $440 a week ... seemed awfully generous to me ... for not working.
Have there been cutbacks in that particular office, or is it just slow now while people are rotating their vacation schedules?

I would suggest taking any sort of short term contracts that are available because, when the 50 weeks run out, if you've worked through the time ... they kind of offer you an extension. It's more paperwork, but there's no downside.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The law says 5-10% of an article can be reposted before permission from the author is required - depending on the nature of the article and the intended use.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It was something like $440 a week ... seemed awfully generous to me ... for not working.
Have there been cutbacks in that particular office, or is it just slow now while people are rotating their vacation schedules?

I would suggest taking any sort of short term contracts that are available because, when the 50 weeks run out, if you've worked through the time ... they kind of offer you an extension. It's more paperwork, but there's no downside.

I work in seasonal jobs,most times your done by November,thats the way it is in the energy industry,you pay huge dollars into the ei fund and when your not working you collect it for a couple months,
I've probably put a few east coast fisherman's kids through college with what I have contributed in the last 35 years.

Remember bud,you have to pay a portion of it back the next year depending on your income,maybe you didnt know this?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
[/QUOTE ] My first impression too, but then it doesn't go far to cover $1000 mortgage payment and $150 a week grocery bill, not to mention the light bill, heating, transportation etc.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Oh! look!
300 new jobs in health care opened.
14 houres later they where all filled.

There are boat loads of qualified workers.
Getting a good job today is like winning the lottery.
Now lets go bomb the **** out of someone.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Teck mining is trying to bring in filipino workers and house them,put them through a 6 week red seal training program and put them to work and yet we have single mothers struggling to feed their families and we have trained journeymen that cant even get an interview!

People are hitting the food banks in record numbers,we have lots of jobs,the big corporations are trying to get the wages down though so they can make a nice return on the stocks that most people own and make money off.
How many of the Canadians here have mutual funds that they will retire on and how many of you dont really care how the return is got as long as it's on the bank statement?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I work in seasonal jobs,most times your done by November,thats the way it is in the energy industry,you pay huge dollars into the ei fund and when your not working you collect it for a couple months,
I've probably put a few east coast fisherman's kids through college with what I have contributed in the last 35 years.

Remember bud,you have to pay a portion of it back the next year depending on your income,maybe you didnt know this?

I decided to stay with contract work ... I haven't noticed that I repaid too much ... always careful to maximize profits while optimizing quality of life.

Seasonal is a bit of a racket, I think. I didn't realize this until I worked for the city and learned that all parks/grounds employees are laid off as soon as they qualify for EI and rehired the following season. The city uses the EI system to keep their employees year round but paying them only half the time. I was rather disgusted ... thinking that the following season all the EI recipients should be expected to find different work, or the city should be responsible for their annual income ... one or the other.

[/QUOTE ] My first impression too, but then it doesn't go far to cover $1000 mortgage payment and $150 a week grocery bill, not to mention the light bill, heating, transportation etc.

True. It helps if there are no hanging debts like car and house. Student loans roll over with no interest ... credit card debt should be cleaned monthly. Then, that $440 a month is plenty.

Oh! look!
300 new jobs in health care opened.
14 houres later they where all filled.

There are boat loads of qualified workers.
Getting a good job today is like winning the lottery.
Now lets go bomb the **** out of someone.

I think that anyone today that wants to work, who has a good attitude and current skills, can find a job.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I decided to stay with contract work ... I haven't noticed that I repaid too much ... always careful to maximize profits while optimizing quality of life.

Seasonal is a bit of a racket, I think. I didn't realize this until I worked for the city and learned that all parks/grounds employees are laid off as soon as they qualify for EI and rehired the following season. The city uses the EI system to keep their employees year round but paying them only half the time. I was rather disgusted ... thinking that the following season all the EI recipients should be expected to find different work, or the city should be responsible for their annual income ... one or the other.

When E.I. (U.I.C.) first started it was meant to cover unplanned layoffs (Iike life insurance used to cover unplanned deaths) :lol::lol:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

In the energy/mining industry all work is seasonal,it's a fact of life.Unless you work in the oilsands in Alberta then you will be laid off at least 3 months a year.
I have to pay back a portion of my ei,you do realize that dont you?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think that anyone today that wants to work, who has a good attitude and current skills, can find a job.

Absolutely, but you have to be in or go to an area where there are jobs. A lot of unemployment in B.C. is happening in one industry towns! :smile:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Teck mining is trying to bring in filipino workers and house them,put them through a 6 week red seal training program and put them to work and yet we have single mothers struggling to feed their families and we have trained journeymen that cant even get an interview!

People are hitting the food banks in record numbers,we have lots of jobs,the big corporations are trying to get the wages down though so they can make a nice return on the stocks that most people own and make money off.
How many of the Canadians here have mutual funds that they will retire on and how many of you dont really care how the return is got as long as it's on the bank statement?

It will be like the Arbeit worker in Europe ... the guest worker. They came in, Turkish, Greeks and et cetera, to fill the labour jobs that locals didn't want to do. They worked for a while, receiving full beneifts. Then, they moved in the wife and children, with full benefits, next came the extended family, with full benefits and soon enough, the Arbeit worker wasn't needed, but his entire extended family lived in Northern Europe. This may have been the start of culturally exclusive, residential communities in places like Paris (where we've seen major riots, fires and protests).

There are two ways to invest: give the money to others to invest (mutual funds - nothing like stock brokers from the olden days), or invest it yourself.

In the energy/mining industry all work is seasonal,it's a fact of life.Unless you work in the oilsands in Alberta then you will be laid off at least 3 months a year.
I have to pay back a portion of my ei,you do realize that dont you?

I had no idea. I don't think I repaid anything. How would I know?

Absolutely, but you have to be in or go to an area where there are jobs. A lot of unemployment in B.C. is happening in one industry towns! :smile:

There are jobs to be had. For example, teaching distance education or web design ... off the top of my head. One doesn't have to be in any particular location anymore. A good attitude, good skills, willingness to relocate ... there are jobs. My son is serving pizza tonight. He loves his job because the work is easy, he likes what he does, the people he works with are fantastic and he has a little pocket money.

When E.I. (U.I.C.) first started it was meant to cover unplanned layoffs (Iike life insurance used to cover unplanned deaths) :lol::lol:

I collected when there was an unplanned layoff. I was filling an "on leave" position and there was mixed information about the length of the "leave".

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Theres no industry in my town,nothing,being on the Alta/BC border everyone works at the coalmines in the elk valley in BC.
I did my 22 years, there,got tired of being a number.Now I go wherever the work is including the Arctic.

I been around!

Last thing I would ever want to do is settle into one job like being a furnace salesman all my life.

oleoleolanda

Nominee Member
Dec 15, 2011
Oakville
I talk to an awful lot of people at stores and gas stations who work 7 days a week with two or three part time jobs just trying to make ends meet. Many are people who lost better full time jobs during the recession. This has made it harder for students to find jobs. I think we actually do have a problem in the economy and I think the jobless rate for youth is too high, and that combined with the way internships are being exploited by many organizations into slave labour, rather than as an investment in the future, we have a double problem.

I just hope we're not as a country dealing with these issues with short term thinking rather than long-term thinking and deluding ourselves about the severity of the challenges we're facing.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The predicted coldest winter in 15 years has been downgraded to endless record high temperatures ... at least furnaces salesman come with an air conditioning option.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The social order of the society has been turned upside down. I know some
older workers that have never been out of work and their cruise through the
system is a serious problem. Yes there are some who wait to long but I do
believe most people are serious about looking for work. As for how much
they get on EI well that depends of what they were paying in. Again we are
talking about insurance here and the Federal Insurance rules should apply.
The government takes these funds under the guise of insurance and then they
raid the system to pay for their incompetence.
We need to understand that people are sometimes not ready to go to work, as
the shock of layoff is serious, I know several people who have this happen to
them. It is easy to condemn someone for being out of work but comments that
are general are not always based on the facts. I have been laid off, I have also
been fired a couple of times, no problem I have always been outspoken and I
was able to move on. Yes for a short period I did collect what was called UI
back then, but I could always find work quickly, besides its easier to find a job
you like if you have a job at the time you are looking.
The times are getting harder and the economy is about to get a lot tighter

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The social order of the society has been turned upside down. I know some
older workers that have never been out of work and their cruise through the
system is a serious problem. Yes there are some who wait to long but I do
believe most people are serious about looking for work. As for how much
they get on EI well that depends of what they were paying in. Again we are
talking about insurance here and the Federal Insurance rules should apply.
The government takes these funds under the guise of insurance and then they
raid the system to pay for their incompetence.
We need to understand that people are sometimes not ready to go to work, as
the shock of layoff is serious, I know several people who have this happen to
them. It is easy to condemn someone for being out of work but comments that
are general are not always based on the facts. I have been laid off, I have also
been fired a couple of times, no problem I have always been outspoken and I
was able to move on. Yes for a short period I did collect what was called UI
back then, but I could always find work quickly, besides its easier to find a job
you like if you have a job at the time you are looking.
The times are getting harder and the economy is about to get a lot tighter

Unfortunately the libs used the EI surplus to pay down the debt,folks who paid into it all their life should be proud when they get refused for EI knowing they helped Paul Martin look like a hero as he raped an insurance fund to make his party look like they actually did something.